ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The possibility of keeping Alex Smith.
Direckshun 01:36 PM 09-08-2017
Alright, let's get down to some nitty gritty here, folks.

What if Alex Smith is amazing in 2017? The Chiefs hand will be forced -- keep him. 2018 will be the final year of his contract and it's a $20m cap hit. Not unreasonable for a guy playing extremely well.

So, what would the Chiefs have to do?

First, we pretty much have the cap met RIGHT NOW, assuming we bring back absolutely no one who is a free agent. So our cap is royally fucked.

The two most popular ideas right now are cutting DJ/Hali, or letting them both retire, or whatever. Cutting them saves us a combined $15m. We likely have DJ's replacements already on the roster, and Ford will be entering his contract year in 2018.

We can also cut (or trade) Allen Bailey if we want to elevate RNR to a starting slot. Trading Bailey saves us $8m (and nets us a draft pick or whatever). Cutting him saves us $6m.

If Eric Fisher has a really good 2017, maybe we just extend/restructure him at the end of the season. That would lower his cap hit in 2018 (right now it's slated for $14m).

I wouldn't touch Allen Bailey, but I'd cut DJ/Hali and extend/restructure Fisher. That allows us to keep Mr. Smith and have roughly $20m in cap space, $5m of which can go to our rookie class.

I think it's non-negotiable that we bring back Terrance Mitchell, but he shouldn't cost a ton. Bennie Logan might be a good idea -- although, again, we could just play RNR at the nose and be fine (which is what I would do if we kept Smith on the roster).

So my recommendation, keeping Alex rather than trading him:

1. cut/retire DJ
2. cut/retire Hali
3. restructure/extend Fisher
4. extend Terrance Mitchell
5. let basically all of our FAs walk: De'Anthony, Fulton, Logan, Sherman, Albert Wilson, Gaines, Colquitt
6. make a few choice re-signings (Santos, KPL, maybe Gaines?)

That'll leave us thin at DL, OL, and OLB -- which I hate. And the best draft pick we'll have in 2018 will be at the very bottom of the 2nd.

But hey, if your QB is balling out, who cares?

Food for thought.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:37 AM 09-09-2017
It's possible however it would have to be on a team friendly deal. Maybe something like what the Patriots or Broncos do so that the Chiefs have extra cap room and move the salary to under the table dealings. Since we now know that Clark is fully capable and willing of doing some shady things, maybe the Chiefs can do a little bit of "creative" accounting?
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:55 AM 09-09-2017
DJ is not getting cut. He might retire, but doubtful as long as he stays healthy. He is still one of the best in the NFL.

Trade Alex for picks and draft more weapons for Mahomes.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:33 AM 09-09-2017
I can't for the life of me figure out why this forum is so hell bent on cutting DJ.

Hali makes sense. But DJ doesn't. The man is STILL playing at a high level and his salary isn't even that high. We have little depth behind him. It just doesn't make sense.
[Reply]
OldSchool 11:47 AM 09-09-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I can't for the life of me figure out why this forum is so hell bent on cutting DJ.

Hali makes sense. But DJ doesn't. The man is STILL playing at a high level and his salary isn't even that high. We have little depth behind him. It just doesn't make sense.
There were at least a couple of times where his age and injuries showed while he was trying to chase down a play. This might be his last season.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:53 AM 09-09-2017
Originally Posted by OldSchool:
There were at least a couple of times where his age and injuries showed while he was trying to chase down a play. This might be his last season.
There were also a couple of plays where he shot the gap like classic DJ and blew the play up. How about that perfect pass break up in the end zone? DJ looks like DJ. Maybe he's lost a step, but even after losing a step he's still a premier ILB you'd be hard pressed to replace.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:54 AM 09-09-2017
Originally Posted by OldSchool:
The play you are thinking of was a crossing route to Cooks. I wouldn't make much of it.

Any LB will get outrun by a receiver with 4.33 speed
[Reply]
kccrow 01:01 PM 09-09-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

Agree in large part. I think I'd be more on the side of "assuming he'll retire" than the Chiefs actually cutting him if he still wants to play.
[Reply]
kcchiefsus 04:31 AM 09-10-2017
I would like to see them be rid of Smith, Hali, DJ, and Colquitt after this year. It's time to move on.
[Reply]
threebag 07:09 AM 09-10-2017
Smith will get an extension (team friendly) and he will continue to run the offense. Mahomes will wait a couple years for his shot. It won't cost the Chiefs anything they aren't spending now to have two good quarterbacks. (Just in case something happens to one of them) The Chiefs have 3 years to get Mahomes on the field then they can sign him long term.

Andy's health may play a role in what happens to the roster in that time.
[Reply]
RealSNR 03:39 PM 09-10-2017
If Alex Smith clings to this team like a homesick abortion for too long, you run the risk of Brock Osweilering our 1st round QB.

If Alex starts for 3 seasons (good God, that's retarded), then Mahomes' rookie deal is 1 year away from its option. That option is like 18 million. A hefty price. And he's looking at an extension beyond that. But he's not looking at that extension going, "I've been sitting and learning and getting better... here's what I'm worth." He's saying, "I'm a starting QB now. Pay me." The team has no information on him and whether he's the longterm money investment they should be making. They have to make a big gamble with his deal, because Mahomes and his agent won't accept anything less than market value for starting QBs.

Mike Glennon. Kirk Cousins. Matt Stafford. The expectation for payment isn't what it used to be. Guys are getting deals beyond what they've proven in the league.

I can fucking see it now. Chiefs fans freaking the fuck out that the team overpaid (because they will have... Mahomes had 0-1 years of starting experience prior to that point) or they get into a Kirk Cousins squabble and keep him year to year and being fucking cheapskates.

All for WHAT, exactly? Alex fucking SMITH? For two more years than he should be here?

WHY?

Why is keeping Alex Smith here for two years longer than he should be worth it? He'd be fucking over the team longterm. What's so fucking special about him that makes it worth it to invest all that money in a mediocre starter and a misappropriated backup, and then move on from the mediocre starter with an inexperienced QB that's going to need a huge payday?
[Reply]
RealSNR 03:42 PM 09-10-2017
More than likely, Alex is going to Alex the next game against the Eagles. Under 200 yards. MAYBE one passing TD. Perhaps a turnover, perhaps not. A lot of PSUs. Getting stalled in the red zone and taking field goals.

We're talking about the possibility of keeping Alex Smith beyond this year over ONE FUCKING GAME. Yeah, it was a really stellar game. So was last year's Game 1 against San Diego. What did he do the rest of the season?

More than likely, he's going to overstay his welcome by the end of the year like he always does. The coaches aren't going to want him any more after this season. Neither will the fans. What he did Week 1 simply ain't going to be duplicated again this season... possibly not ever again for the rest of his career.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:01 PM 09-10-2017
Mahomes contract is only cheap for 4 years. His 5th year option is $19 million. It makes no sense to only use 2 years of his cheap salary unless Alex takes this team to the SB.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:06 PM 09-10-2017
If Alex11 gets us there (SB) are they going to offer him a contract? What would it look like? 1 year with 3 years of options w/ 1 year guaranteed?

Not that I an advocating for, nor do I think it's a great idea, but I do wonder what PMll15 would be worth on the street if he went on the block at the end of this year? Especially if he has to fill in for Alex11 after a major hit or injury and made a good showing.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:27 AM 09-11-2017
So my wild-ass dream scenario had the Jags not franchising Allen Robinson and the Chiefs making a strong push for him next off-season. It seemed unlikely but possible if Bortles undercut him again.

Well with his injury, I don't see any way Jax can franchise him. It might also give the Chiefs a shot at a bit of a discount. If Smith returns, there's no way they can get Robinson in here even on a reduced deal.

So the calculus becomes more difficult at that point. Granted, they'd also need to see the medicals on him but if you had a shot at bringing in a 25 yr old WR with 1,400 yard skills and the size/speed combo to help Mahomes across the board, it sure would be hard to pass on that chance so you could give Smith another go.

I guess there's always another free agent, but man - young WRs with huge seasons and great measurables don't hit the market that often. A healthy Robinson with a good QB is a genuine WR1, IMO. He can do everything you want from a WR. If he hits the market and the medicals check out, I just don't see how you can keep Smith around - it's time to move forward and he could be a big part of the future here.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:31 AM 09-11-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
More than likely, Alex is going to Alex the next game against the Eagles. Under 200 yards. MAYBE one passing TD. Perhaps a turnover, perhaps not. A lot of PSUs. Getting stalled in the red zone and taking field goals.

We're talking about the possibility of keeping Alex Smith beyond this year over ONE FUCKING GAME. Yeah, it was a really stellar game. So was last year's Game 1 against San Diego. What did he do the rest of the season?

More than likely, he's going to overstay his welcome by the end of the year like he always does. The coaches aren't going to want him any more after this season. Neither will the fans. What he did Week 1 simply ain't going to be duplicated again this season... possibly not ever again for the rest of his career.
Nah - I think everyone had a 'what would Smith have to do' barometer even before the Patriots game. For most, the answer was probably "get to the Super Bowl" though there was certainly variation between the margins (for some, 'cure cancer' and for others 'not die').

The only thing that game did was make folks question how likely/unlikely their original possibility may be. My position was always a strong season and an AFC Championship Game appearance would probably earn him the rope - with the caveat that he couldn't get dragged along kicking and screaming in the post-season. I haven't changed that belief.

But like I said, the opportunity cost may be what decides it. I didn't see any FAs that were likely to greatly alter that cap math; looks like a bit of a down year and the Chiefs don't have a ton of holes. Moreover, they have to be careful about signing older vets given the young guys that will need to be paid for over the coming years. But man, a shot at a young veteran who could take this offense to the next level under Mahomes is pretty damn intriguing.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up