ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 12
« First < 289101112
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The possibility of keeping Alex Smith.
Direckshun 01:36 PM 09-08-2017
Alright, let's get down to some nitty gritty here, folks.

What if Alex Smith is amazing in 2017? The Chiefs hand will be forced -- keep him. 2018 will be the final year of his contract and it's a $20m cap hit. Not unreasonable for a guy playing extremely well.

So, what would the Chiefs have to do?

First, we pretty much have the cap met RIGHT NOW, assuming we bring back absolutely no one who is a free agent. So our cap is royally fucked.

The two most popular ideas right now are cutting DJ/Hali, or letting them both retire, or whatever. Cutting them saves us a combined $15m. We likely have DJ's replacements already on the roster, and Ford will be entering his contract year in 2018.

We can also cut (or trade) Allen Bailey if we want to elevate RNR to a starting slot. Trading Bailey saves us $8m (and nets us a draft pick or whatever). Cutting him saves us $6m.

If Eric Fisher has a really good 2017, maybe we just extend/restructure him at the end of the season. That would lower his cap hit in 2018 (right now it's slated for $14m).

I wouldn't touch Allen Bailey, but I'd cut DJ/Hali and extend/restructure Fisher. That allows us to keep Mr. Smith and have roughly $20m in cap space, $5m of which can go to our rookie class.

I think it's non-negotiable that we bring back Terrance Mitchell, but he shouldn't cost a ton. Bennie Logan might be a good idea -- although, again, we could just play RNR at the nose and be fine (which is what I would do if we kept Smith on the roster).

So my recommendation, keeping Alex rather than trading him:

1. cut/retire DJ
2. cut/retire Hali
3. restructure/extend Fisher
4. extend Terrance Mitchell
5. let basically all of our FAs walk: De'Anthony, Fulton, Logan, Sherman, Albert Wilson, Gaines, Colquitt
6. make a few choice re-signings (Santos, KPL, maybe Gaines?)

That'll leave us thin at DL, OL, and OLB -- which I hate. And the best draft pick we'll have in 2018 will be at the very bottom of the 2nd.

But hey, if your QB is balling out, who cares?

Food for thought.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:18 PM 10-16-2017
Originally Posted by threebag02:
They are just here to shit on the thread
You shit all over every fucking thread you're in.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 01:51 PM 10-16-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
You shit all over every fucking thread you're in.
This.

I'm going to actually TRY and think of another regular, posting poster who contributes less than Threetard.

I'll get back with you on that.
[Reply]
kcchiefsus 05:07 PM 10-16-2017
Originally Posted by threebag02:
They are just here to shit on the thread
Eat shit and die
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:36 PM 10-16-2017
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
This.

I'm going to actually TRY and think of another regular, posting poster who contributes less than Threetard.

I'll get back with you on that.
Still looking....

outlook=grim.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 12
« First < 289101112
Up