Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:53 PM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Meanwhile Boras is directly calling out the Cardinals now

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...14b50294f.html

If I thought Dewitt was capable of shame I would be heartened by this development. Instead it will probably just get Boras a candygram with a copy of the ledger showing a $75 million profit and a xerox of Dollar Bill's taint.

Dewitt doesn't care about being called out - he's got bank to make.
Sounds to me like Boras is having issues this year finding his mystery team. He knows you can’t shame Dewitt into spending money.
[Reply]
VAChief 01:27 PM 12-13-2018
Kimbrel apparently wants 100m for 6 years. Someone is going to sign him, but he is one guy that is difficult to asses risk. Now, I would never ever put up 9 figures for a relief pitcher, particularly one that just hit 30 years old. However he doesn't show the decline or "frayed edges" that other closers can show after over 5-7 years of heavy use. I bet someone pays him.

If you want to throw up a little in your mouth he made a million dollars less than what we paid Greg Holland last year.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:45 PM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by VAChief:
Kimbrel apparently wants 100m for 6 years. Someone is going to sign him, but he is one guy that is difficult to asses risk. Now, I would never ever put up 9 figures for a relief pitcher, particularly one that just hit 30 years old. However he doesn't show the decline or "frayed edges" that other closers can show after over 5-7 years of heavy use. I bet someone pays him.

If you want to throw up a little in your mouth he made a million dollars less than what we paid Greg Holland last year.
He picked the wrong year to wade into the market seeking a massive deal as a reliever.

There was NOBODY signed last during last off-seasons 'relieverpalooza' that paid off. That was a complete shitshow. Davis, Holland, Morrow, Reed, Nicasio, Shaw, Swarzak, McGee, Hunter, Neshek, Kintzler, Gregerson - those eleven guys totaled -.1 WAR.

The cream of last year's free agent reliever crop was worse than just hucking 11 organizational relief arms at the problem. You know what the outlay on those guys last year was? About $110 million in AAV.

$110 million for teams to literally make their teams worse last season. You wanna know why people parrot that stupid "A win is worth $8 million on the open market" bullshit? There's your answer. 11 absolutely idiotic contracts given to guys who literally did nothing for their teams. Better than half that lot was below replacement value.

The only team to actually get some value out of a relatively expensive off-season relief pitcher was the Cubs getting 2+ wins out of Steve Cishek at $6.5 million.
[Reply]
VAChief 01:54 PM 12-13-2018
He picked the wrong year to wade into the market seeking a massive deal as a reliever.

There was NOBODY signed last during last off-seasons 'relieverpalooza' that paid off. That was a complete shitshow. Davis, Holland, Morrow, Reed, Nicasio, Shaw, Swarzak, McGee, Hunter, Neshek, Kintzler, Gregerson - those eleven guys totaled -.1 WAR.

The cream of last year's free agent reliever crop was worse than just hucking 11 organizational relief arms at the problem. You know what the outlay on those guys last year was? About $110 million in AAV.

$110 million for teams to literally make their teams worse last season. You wanna know why people parrot that stupid "A win is worth $8 million on the open market" bullshit? There's your answer. 11 absolutely idiotic contracts given to guys who literally did nothing for their teams. Better than half that lot was below replacement value.

The only team to actually get some value out of a relatively expensive off-season relief pitcher was the Cubs getting 2+ wins out of Steve Cishek at $6.5 million.
I agree, paying FA relievers has a bad history period, especially big deals. Ironically, he may be an exception (just not a 100 million dollar exception).

He should get something like 3 for 45. Those other turds should have gotten something like 3 for 12.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:22 AM 12-14-2018
Y'all deserve to see this since FSMW got so thoroughly eviscerated for it last night that they deleted the post within in an hour. God it was beautiful.

Ladies and gentlemen, FSMW presents "Give Dex and his smile a chance...it's the right thing to do"

I'm serious....

#tbt pic.twitter.com/juNfjda1SB

— hecks-mas (@VanHicklestein) December 14, 2018

I'm genuinely embarrassed to be a fan of this team right now.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:54 AM 12-14-2018
Y'all deserve to see this since FSMW got so thoroughly eviscerated for it last night that they deleted the post within in an hour. God it was beautiful.

Ladies and gentlemen, FSMW presents "Give Dex and his smile a chance...it's the right thing to do"

I'm serious....

:-)that is pathetic.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:58 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
:-)that is pathetic.
Why would you think that? You could've written it...

Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I'm warming to the line up if Fowler or O'Neill can be an average RF. Goldy is a lineup game changer.
Do you recognize now how fucking lunatic stupid that sounds when you see someone else try it?

No, Goldschmidt changes nothing and anyone that thinks he did is simply not paying attention.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:32 AM 12-16-2018
Saxon from the Athletic was a guest on a podcast that I heard yesterday.

He said the Cardinals are locked into giving Fowler a chance at the starting job next year. But, it may only be for spring training if he doesn't light it up.

He thinks with the new hitting coaching staff that there will be increases in everyone's OBP% and decrease in strikeouts.

Boras is asking for 12 years/$500 million for Harper. Not getting any takers. Doesn't rule out Harper to the Cardinals if the price comes down. He was told that Dewitt flew out to Vegas this week after publicly saying he wasnt going. No one knew before hand, did no public events. His source tells him off the record that he did meet with Boras. Since it was off the record, he cant report it but he can say this is the rumor. Host asks him, but, you believe it, right? Saxon: without a doubt.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:39 AM 12-16-2018
12/500? I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:08 PM 12-16-2018
No one curr about the Athletic. They aren't interested in paying Harper. End of story.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:28 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
No one curr about the Athletic. They aren't interested in paying Harper. End of story.
I like the Athletic better for in-depth articles and columns way better than anything you’ll find on ESPNor SI.
[Reply]
bdj23 03:27 PM 12-16-2018

I'm serious....

LOL
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:32 PM 12-16-2018
Mo is the Athletic writer of GMs...
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:14 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
You literally sound like a fucking moron every time you bash something you know nothing about.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:17 PM 12-16-2018
Lulz
[Reply]
Page 295 of 301
« First < 195245285291292293294295 296297298299 > Last »
Up