Wong 2B
Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:53 PM 01-02-2018
Heard on MLB tonight that they heard the Cardinals offered Hosmer 6 years/$120 Million. SD offered 7/140. They were debating which one he should take. All went with the Cardinals.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:54 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Heard on MLB tonight that they heard the Cardinals offered Hosmer 6 years/$120 Million. SD offered 7/140. They were debating which one he should take. All went with the Cardinals.
Seems like a no-brainer to me... I'd sign with STL yesterday if those are my options
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:43 AM 01-03-2018
Mozeliak should kill himself for signing off on that contract.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:51 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Who reported it? Because if it's Nightengale it's bullshit. And if it's Heyman (a notorious Boras mouthepiece) it's almost certainly also bullshit.

It doesn't pass the sniff test, IMO. Probably Boras trying to rebuild a flagging market and get the Royals to price enforce while trying to up the Padres offer.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:54 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Who reported it? Because if it's Nightengale it's bullshit. And if it's Heyman (a notorious Boras mouthepiece) it's almost certainly also bullshit.

It doesn't pass the sniff test, IMO. Probably Boras trying to rebuild a flagging market and get the Royals to price enforce while trying to up the Padres offer.
All the numbers are being quoted from Nightengale but I havent seen anyone saying the Cardinals have made an offer.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:01 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
They were talking about it as if these rumors are true scenario. Not a one of them was saying it as fact that an offer was made.
[Reply]
raybec 4 10:03 AM 01-03-2018

John Morosi tweeted it out, but he mentions Boras several times in his report.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:06 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
whats Morosi's track record? BS or true?
[Reply]
jd1020 10:07 AM 01-03-2018
I nearly forgot Morosi still had baseball insiders any more with all his spanish mumblings and disappearing act from twitter during the winter meetings.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:11 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
whats Morosi's track record? BS or true?
Eh - I wouldn't say he's universally inaccurate. He's pretty much a spitball artist, though. He just throws so much shit at the wall (and in such 'data dump' fashion) that you tend to gloss over most of what he says and only remember the stuff that's right.

I don't think he's particularly valuable, to be honest.

The guys to really pay attention to here aren't the national guys. If there's information on the Cardinals to be had, Goold and Bernie will have it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:11 AM 01-03-2018
Eh - I wouldn't say he's universally inaccurate. He's pretty much a spitball artist, though. He just throws so much shit at the wall (and in such 'data dump' fashion) that you tend to gloss over most of what he says and only remember the stuff that's right.

I don't think he's particularly valuable, to be honest.

The guys to really pay attention to here aren't the national guys. If there's information on the Cardinals to be had, Goold and Bernie will have it.
that seems like a pile of money to pay "just another guy".

But, we have plenty of money now.
[Reply]
VAChief 11:53 AM 01-03-2018
This would be dumb for multiple reasons, but would be a sign they are making a move to appease what a good portion of the fan base would see as an upgrade.

I keep hearing about the "flexibility" Carpenter gives you at multiple positions. Sure, and Jose Martinez could technically play center field. We need to limit meathead's options not add to them. He has proven he can't manage that way. For us to have any chance he needs a lineup that fills out itself.

A big fat no to Hosmer.
[Reply]
raybec 4 01:00 PM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by VAChief:
This would be dumb for multiple reasons, but would be a sign they are making a move to appease what a good portion of the fan base would see as an upgrade.

I keep hearing about the "flexibility" Carpenter gives you at multiple positions. Sure, and Jose Martinez could technically play center field. We need to limit meathead's options not add to them. He has proven he can't manage that way. For us to have any chance he needs a lineup that fills out itself.

A big fat no to Hosmer.
Hosmer or Donaldson would both add a good bat to the line up but if we can't fix the bullpen it won't be as effective.
[Reply]
VAChief 01:09 PM 01-03-2018
Hosmer or Donaldson would both add a good bat to the line up but if we can't fix the bullpen it won't be as effective.
Hosmer is maybe a slight offensive upgrade (that is debatable) to our lineup over just keeping Gyorko at 3B. It is a defensive downgrade to move Carpenter back there even with the "perceived" defensive attributes of Hosmer. The metrics on him defensively do not support the accolades he has received (and it isn't even close). All this and he is likely going to cost us 200 million? No thanks.

Donaldson would be an upgrade and I would be excited to have his bat and glove here (depending on the cost).
[Reply]
Page 1 of 301
1 23451151101 > Last »
Up