ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 30
« First < 162223242526 27282930 >
Media Center>The Curse of Oak Island
mr. tegu 01:31 PM 01-13-2014
Has anyone else started watching this show? I am a sucker for this kind of thing and so far it has been very interesting. You can watch the first two episodes in the link below. Since this was filmed over the summer, if any of you have figured out what happens please use spoilers for anything that hasn't aired yet.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

For those who aren't familiar, very briefly, it is about an island on the eastern shore of Canada that is rumored to have buried treasure from possibly the Knights Templar dating back to the 1300s. In 1795 an apparent secret hiding space was discovered in which levels of wooden planks were buried every 10 feet. Digging down around a hundred feet, they found some gold link chain and a few other things. Eventually they dug to a point that causes the hold to be flooded by sea water as if it was some sort of boobie trap, which is believed to come from some type of tube that is out in the ocean.

Another person in the 1970s dug alongside the original hole but also got his hole flooded by sea water. These guys now who are on the show purchased most of the island and are trying to solve the mystery with help from the guys who dug their own hole in the 1970s. The hole curse aspect is just kind of meh and I don't really pay attention to it, but I am sure the producers just like the added element it presents. The mystery and adventure is really interesting. It is nice to see a show like this that is actually producing some results so far.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:08 PM 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Next episode they discover a Kareem Hunt autographed Jersey and call it quits
:-)
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:17 PM 12-02-2018
More promising than past seasons... They are pulling out a lot of stops to get to answers, should be interesting.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:54 PM 12-03-2018
Surprised this show is still going. I got pretty lost though since last season. They have all these stupid side shows now and the seasons seem to have gotten unnecessarily longer.

What's that extra content they created? "Beyond the Dig"? or some shit like that? Blah.

IDK, last season just felt like they were milking the ever living shit out of it while nothing really happened.
[Reply]
lcarus 01:23 PM 12-04-2018
I love the mystery of Oak Island and I've enjoyed the show. But it's time to wrap it up after this season. Dig the unholy fuck out of that island and call it a day.

I'm not saying it's the case, but part of me always wonders if the things they find with the metal detector are planted. Gary Drayton seems to find a "bobby dazzler" with that metal detector pretty damn easily.
[Reply]
Kyle DeLexus 08:55 PM 12-04-2018
I really hope after spending millions and millions, they don't find anything. It'd be the equivalent of someone playing deal or no deal and going all the way to the final case, they have a chance for $1,000,000 or $0.01 and they don't take the deal and end up with a penny.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:13 AM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by lcarus:

I'm not saying it's the case, but part of me always wonders if the things they find with the metal detector are planted. Gary Drayton seems to find a "bobby dazzler" with that metal detector pretty damn easily.
Caught the third episode last night. Can't help but to wonder the same thing.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:55 PM 12-06-2018
After I realized it was a season series I lost interest because common sense says after they find the loot the shows over and they don't want that.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:05 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
After I realized it was a season series I lost interest because common sense says after they find the loot the shows over and they don't want that.
It's not like the show is funding anything. The one brother is a millionaire, afaik, with a group of investors that are backing the whole operation.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:22 AM 12-07-2018
The best thing about this show is that unlike most mystery or treasure hunting shows the people give up or never find anything even remotely interesting or they simply run out of time and money. They are going basically all out it seems and are learning and adjusting as they go. If there is something there of greater significance they will likely find it and we won’t be left wondering about what be anymore.

We may not know the whole truth about what was there but I think we will eventually know for certain something was likely there which itself would be a big victory because prior to this show most skeptics believed it was a simple story with nothing more to it and not based in reality.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:06 PM 12-18-2018
The most recent episode sees the cross finally being answered as to its origins. So it’s from the pre 1500s in the south of France. That’s pretty crazy.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:37 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
The most recent episode sees the cross finally being answered as to its origins. So it’s from the pre 1500s in the south of France. That’s pretty crazy.
Been watching random recent episodes, and the sheer volume of random artifacts from various periods is genuinely intriguing... oddly shaped lead crosses that directly tie back to the Templars, mixed with Roman pilum spear tips from an even earlier era, not to mention all of the other genuine treasures?

Yeah, somethings absolutely up there... its NOT a total hoax, IMO

America was sure as hell known looong before Columbus

But the Ark being buried in corrosive sea water? nah... the Ark has been spirited away to its home
[Reply]
lcarus 01:02 AM 12-19-2018
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Been watching random recent episodes, and the sheer volume of random artifacts from various periods is genuinely intriguing... oddly shaped lead crosses that directly tie back to the Templars, mixed with Roman pilum spear tips from an even earlier era, not to mention all of the other genuine treasures?

Yeah, somethings absolutely up there... its NOT a total hoax, IMO

America was sure as hell known looong before Columbus

But the Ark being buried in corrosive sea water? nah... the Ark has been spirited away to its home
I'm more interested in the idea of Europeans traveling to North America earlier than recorded history suggests. I think they're possibly finding evidence of that. Whether there's treasure there I really don't know. But people were definitely on that island long ago.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:46 AM 12-19-2018
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I'm more interested in the idea of Europeans traveling to North America earlier than recorded history suggests. I think they're possibly finding evidence of that. Whether there's treasure there I really don't know. But people were definitely on that island long ago.
I'm just not sure any of their significant finds originated on Oak Island. It's just as likely that the cross or the gem stones were items lost at sea or even discarded, but washed up on Oak Island.
[Reply]
lcarus 12:13 PM 12-19-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I'm just not sure any of their significant finds originated on Oak Island. It's just as likely that the cross or the gem stones were items lost at sea or even discarded, but washed up on Oak Island.
Or planted by a producer. "Let's use the metal detector on this random patch of dirt here. DING DING DING. Oh look another bobby dazzler!" That's the only thing they can do to keep people interested while they dig for the real treasure. Now last night they had yet another disappointment when the "large void" turned out to be.....sand.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:37 PM 12-19-2018
Or planted by a producer. "Let's use the metal detector on this random patch of dirt here. DING DING DING. Oh look another bobby dazzler!" That's the only thing they can do to keep people interested while they dig for the real treasure. Now last night they had yet another disappointment when the "large void" turned out to be.....sand.
This. I'm just far too jaded to buy into this bullshit.

Seems like the whole show is basically episodes that promise great things, building up to finding some tiny little trinket that wouldn't haven't have meant shit to anybody when it was made, then rinse and repeat.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 30
« First < 162223242526 27282930 >
Up