ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 47 of 94
« First < 374344454647 4849505157 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>UPDATE: Ford to 49ers for a 2020 2nd round pick. Official.
Dante84 06:19 PM 03-12-2019

More trade news: The #Chiefs are deep in talks with the #49ers on a trade for star pass-rusher Dee Ford, sources say. Things have escalated and this could get done by the end of the night. Ford needs to work out a new contract with SF, which is a big piece of this.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 13, 2019

The trade is essentially agreed to — Ford for a 2020 2nd round pick. That assumes the #49ers get a deal done with Ford. https://t.co/g4tYK2tWFh

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 13, 2019

[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 05:13 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I do know the Chiefs didn’t trade the best player on the team. Not close.

I do know the offseason isn’t over yet. You’re right that pass rush is important, but pass rush at the expense of the run defense and any sort of discipline is an overrated factor. And that’s what your boi provided/(s)

We know there’s better than a 50 percent chance your boo gets hurt and misses time or is slowed by injury. Makes it hard to say there’s a 90 percent chance he outperforms anyone.

Speaks wasn’t drafted as a pass rusher. He was drafted as a versatile, all-around defender who could help in run defense. He’ll fit well in an even front that moves him inside in pass rushing situations.
1. Except every object measurement disagree's with you... LOL...

2. You literally just described Chris Jones...

3. No, you don't. You just made that up.

4. LOL... No... he was drafted to play EDGE...
[Reply]
Coogs 05:20 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Chief_N_Bama:
1. Except every object measurement disagree's with you... LOL...

2. You literally just described Chris Jones...

3. No, you don't. You just made that up.

4. LOL... No... he was drafted to play EDGE...

Dude! A strong case can be made that Ford wasn't even the best player on the defense. When you start putting in offensive players into the equation, it's all over.
[Reply]
penchief 05:28 AM 03-13-2019
$16MM for an elite pass rusher? Sounds like a bargain, especially when he just got paid $2-3MM more than that from SF...

On the flip side we could tie that money up in an undersized safety who is a liability in pass coverage... :-)... makes perfect sense...
If you had taken a poll one week ago you might have been the only person on this board who had faith in Ford to duplicate what he did this year. His track record suggests that it is far more likely he would regress to his mean.

And if you had asked if we should pay Ford a long term deal or let him walk for a comp pick next year, the overwhelming majority would have said let him walk. This team could not afford another albatross of a contract like the two we were already saddled with.

So Veach took that comp pick, which is essentially a high 4th round pick, and turned it into a mid 2nd round pick. He did the best he could with what he had to work with. If Ford is as elite as you say why was a 2020 2nd round pick the best we could do? You'd think teams would be tripping over themselves to get their hands on an elite edge rusher.

Some people value Ford higher as a trade chip than they did as long term asset. What we wished for in trade compensation and what we were likely to get are two different things.
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 05:31 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Dude! A strong case can be made that Ford wasn't even the best player on the defense. When you start putting in offensive players into the equation, it's all over.
I was referring to defense. But he was also one of the best players on the team last year.
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 05:36 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by penchief:
If you had taken a poll one week ago you might have been the only person on this board who had faith in Ford to duplicate what he did this year. His track record suggests that it is far more likely he would regress to his mean.

And if you had asked if we should pay Ford a long term deal or let him walk for a comp pick next year, the overwhelming majority would have said let him walk. This team could not afford another albatross of a contract like the two we were already saddled with.

So Veach took that comp pick, which is essentially a high 4th round pick, and turned it into a mid 2nd round pick. He did the best he could with what he had to work with. If Ford is as elite as you say why was a 2020 2nd round pick the best we could do? You'd think teams would be tripping over themselves to get their hands on an elite edge rusher.

Some people value Ford higher as a trade chip than they did as long term asset. What we wished for in trade compensation and what we were likely to get are two different things.
I have literally ZERO respect for the football I.Q. on this forum... so using the opinions of this site as evidence... well... LOL...

And his track record implies no such thing...

Sacks:
2014: 1.5
2015 4.0
2016 10.0
2017 2.0
2018 13.0
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:36 AM 03-13-2019
So now we have 20 mil in cap space

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/
[Reply]
Coogs 05:38 AM 03-13-2019
I was referring to defense. But he was also one of the best players on the team last year.
Fair enough. Of the top 22 players on the team last season on both sides of the ball, you could make a case he belongs in the top 7.
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 05:41 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Fair enough. Of the top 22 players on the team last season on both sides of the ball, you could make a case he belongs in the top 7.
Lol... please list the 6 players who were more valuable to KC last year? Mahomes... and???
[Reply]
penchief 05:41 AM 03-13-2019
I have literally ZERO respect for the football I.Q. on this forum... so using the opinions of this site as evidence... well... LOL...

Sacks:
2015 4.0
2016 10.0
2017 2.0
2018 13.0
The 13 sacks this year represents the only season worthy of the contract he got. If he had proven to be durable and consistently put up double digit sacks then you might have a point. But those numbers are anything but elite.

LOL.
[Reply]
Coogs 05:42 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
So now we have 20 mil in cap space

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/
That still has Ford on the books. But also no Mathieu.
[Reply]
BigRock 05:43 AM 03-13-2019
then let him walk next year, and receive essentially the same pick next year as a compensatory pick.
Compensatory picks are not guaranteed. Unless you want the team to handcuff itself in free agency, comp picks shouldn't even be part of the discussion.
[Reply]
penchief 05:45 AM 03-13-2019

Sacks:
2015 4.0
2016 10.0
2017 2.0
2018 13.0
I'll ask again. If Ford is as elite as you say, why weren't teams tripping over themselves to get their hands on him? Why did we have to hold out for a 2020 2nd round pick?
[Reply]
Coogs 05:45 AM 03-13-2019
Lol... please list the 6 players who were more valuable to KC last year? Mahomes... and???
In no particular order:

Hill
Kelce
Hunt (when he was still a Chief)
Schwartz
Jones
Fuller
Watkins
Houston
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 05:48 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by penchief:
The 13 sacks this year represents the only season worthy of the contract he got. If he had proven to be durable and consistently put up double digit sacks then you might have a point. But those numbers are anything but elite.

LOL.
First, last years production was elite, and it's a what have you done for me lately league. Second, we weren't paying him $85MM, but only $16MM for 1 year.
[Reply]
Chief_N_Bama 05:50 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by BigRock:
Compensatory picks are not guaranteed. Unless you want the team to handcuff itself in free agency, comp picks shouldn't even be part of the discussion.
We are basically in the same position that we were in before we signed Honey Badger. Except we "improved" in the secondary, and got appreciably worse in the pass rush. If you prefer the improvement in the secondary over having an elite pass rush... well... that's like your opinion man...
[Reply]
Page 47 of 94
« First < 374344454647 4849505157 > Last »
Up