ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3100 of 3903
« First < 2100260030003050309030963097309830993100 31013102310331043110315032003600 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 10:26 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
It's hard for me to spew optimistic shit given the way COVID has impacted your family. The vaccines certainly give us hope in this time of crazy case growth bad news cycle.
It's been a hard year.

But there's no going back. Life is about moving forward, no matter what.

We've lost our way from time to time, but we're gonna come out of this thing stronger. I genuinely believe that. I myself realize so much more now whats important and what doesn't matter.

No one is flawless, we all fuck up. But that's what makes us people.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:29 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I think we know what is meant when they say lockdown. They mean shutting it all back down again like we did in April\May. Otherwise we are exactly where you said we are so the only thing you can infer is shutting it all down.
I guess that's the part I disagree with. I don't think we know that at all. Everyone's just assuming that we are all talking about the same thing when we're not.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:33 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I guess that's the part I disagree with. I don't think we know that at all. Everyone's just assuming that we are all talking about the same thing when we're not.
I don't know what it is you think otherwise?
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:36 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
They also had previous exposure likely to SARS, so there's some pre existing immunity
very few people got SARS. Only 8100 people worldwide.

https://www.cdc.gov/dotw/sars/index.html
[Reply]
DaFace 10:36 AM 11-12-2020
I don't know what it is you think otherwise?
Would you consider my area locked down right now?

-Bars are closed
-Gyms are closed
-Restaurants and offices are 25% capacity
-Masks are required
-No more than 5 people in a private gathering
-10pm curfew for all but essential workers
[Reply]
petegz28 10:38 AM 11-12-2020
Speculation now is Governor Kelly will be locking down Kansas today or tomorrow.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:40 AM 11-12-2020

-Bars are closed
-Gyms are closed
-Masks are required
Yep. Masks have nothing to do with being locked down really but yea businesses forced to be closed, etc. is a lock down. If you're arguing that there are degrees of lock down I would agree but let's not start splitting hairs. Or put it this way, do you think the owners of those bars and gyms think they are locked down?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:40 AM 11-12-2020
Speculation now is Governor Kelly will be locking down Kansas today or tomorrow.
Definition requested. Are schools closed? Bars? Offices? Restaurants? Restrictions on private gatherings? Masks required?

Forgive me since all this is apparently obvious to everyone else.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:40 AM 11-12-2020
Yep. Masks have nothing to do with being locked down really but yea businesses forced to be closed, etc. is a lock down.
Interesting. Apparently Colorado has been locked down from the beginning. Who knew?
[Reply]
saphojunkie 10:42 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Look at the Asian countries and you see no large outbreaks and that was because they have huge masks usage. Taiwan had 4 cases yesterday, Vietnam 26, looks like Japan had the largest at 1100.
I have a buddy who's lived in Taiwan for awhile. Trust me... even I don't want the government oversight that it took to get those numbers down in Taiwan.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:42 AM 11-12-2020
Actually, given that theaters have been closed from the beginning, apparently we've all been locked down this entire time.

[Reply]
petegz28 10:42 AM 11-12-2020
Definition requested. Are schools closed? Bars? Offices? Restaurants? Restrictions on private gatherings? Masks required?

Forgive me since all this is apparently obvious to everyone else.
You're just arguing to argue now.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:42 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
My point was that places where people tend to not wear masks are responsible for the most spread.
Based off what exactly?

Locally we just had 6 people die from Covid, average age 85. 5 of the 6 lived in a long term healthcare facility.

At this point how are people in these facilities still getting Covid? A coworkers wife works at the facility. The patients are isolated from each other, the employees are tested regularly and wear masks and other PPE.
[Reply]
loochy 10:43 AM 11-12-2020

-Bars are closed
-Gyms are closed
-Masks are required

No. We throw around "lockdown" without appreciation of what "lockdown" actually is.

What you just stated is generally life as normal for me (except for the gym).

But 10 pm curfew is stupid. Coronavirus only comes out at night, eh?
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:44 AM 11-12-2020
In regards to these mRNA vaccines storage. Here is a good article about how rural and low income areas won't be able to provide these because the costs of the very low temp fridge units are expensive and currently the government isn't going to help.

Also the CDC is telling cities not to buy these because other vaccines won't require them.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/11/...vid19-vaccine/

Originally Posted by :
‘We’re being left behind’: Rural hospitals can’t afford ultra-cold freezers to store the leading Covid-19 vaccine

arge urban hospitals across the U.S. are rushing to buy expensive ultra-cold freezers to store what’s likely to be the first approved Covid-19 vaccine. But most rural hospitals can’t afford these high-end units, meaning health workers and residents in those communities may have difficulty getting the shots.

The vaccine, developed by Pfizer and the German firm BioNTech, seems to provide 90% immunity according to early data released on Monday. But there’s a catch: The vaccine has to be stored at -70 degrees Celsius. Typical freezers don’t get that cold, making distribution of this vaccine a logistical nightmare.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has advised state health departments against purchasing ultra-cold freezers — which cost $10,000 to $15,000 each — saying other vaccines with less demanding storage requirements will be available soon. Hospitals with money to spare are flouting this guidance. Four major health care systems, from North Carolina to Ohio, North Dakota, and California, told STAT they had bought additional ultra-cold freezers, while Jefferson Health in Philadelphia said it has leased five units.

About 20% of the hospitals that work with Vizient, one of the largest group purchasers for U.S. hospitals, have bought -80 C freezers, said Azra Behlim, its senior director of pharmacy sourcing and program services. Vizient works with 60% of hospitals nationwide, suggesting that more than 10% of hospitals have shelled out for their own freezers. She couldn’t provide a breakdown, but another major group purchasing organization, Premier, said most of its clients buying ultra-cold freezers were academic medical centers.

“The rural and the small hospitals would be disadvantaged,” said Soumi Saha, a pharmacist and Premier’s director of advocacy.

This purchase is out of reach for poorer hospitals, especially those in rural areas that can barely manage daily expenses. Nearly half of U.S. rural hospitals were operating at a loss in April of this year, said Alan Morgan, chief executive of the National Rural Health Association. And the pandemic has further weakened hospitals’ finances.

Rural populations are precisely those that are vulnerable to Covid-19 and most in need of a vaccine, noted Morgan: “Hundreds of rural, small towns all across the U.S. have a higher percentage of elderly, low-income [residents], a higher percentage of the community with multiple chronic health issues.” Yet, he added, “in this financial environment, you can imagine that there is simply no consideration of rural hospitals purchasing storage equipment for this ultra-cold distribution.”

Even without the ultra-cold freezer divide, there are other obstacles to making the Pfizer vaccine available in rural communities. The company plans to ship the vaccine to distributors in storage containers of 1,000 to 5,000 doses.

The containers will keep the vaccines at -75 C (plus or minus 15 degrees) on dry ice, for 10 days. Once opened, the containers can be used for 15 more days with re-icing every five days, though the boxes can be opened only for a minute at a time no more than twice a day. The doses can survive five more days while refrigerated.

[Reply]
Page 3100 of 3903
« First < 2100260030003050309030963097309830993100 31013102310331043110315032003600 > Last »
Up