ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1573 of 3903
« First < 573107314731523156315691570157115721573 157415751576157715831623167320732573 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
loochy 07:43 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
IMHO that's exactly what we should have done.

I don't think the public would have taken it though. The people that are protesting now would have absolutely flipped if there was a real lockdown.

There wouldn't be enough national guardsmen to contain it.
[Reply]
loochy 07:44 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yes

Which we’ve seemingly squashed so it would be smart imo to start slowly opening back up and Monitoring what works

Aboslutely. I'm not advocating to turn it all back on full scale everywhere now.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:50 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Isn’t the worry that if you open areas that aren’t bad they will become bad?
Then we should never open. I mean seriously, I am not trying to be snarky but we cannot just wait for the "perfect scenario" to open because it does not exist.

Should we stay locked down for the next year because we are afraid of a 2nd wave this fall?

This virus isn't going to just die.
[Reply]
stumppy 07:51 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
I don't think the public would have taken it though. The people that are protesting now would have absolutely flipped if there was a real lockdown.

There wouldn't be enough national guardsmen to contain it.
There could have been targeted shut downs and testing could have been made a priority.
I'll just leave it at that. Wrong forum.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:52 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Isn't the whole point to "flatten the curve" and not overwhelm hospitals, not prevent everything everywhere?
The former was absolutely the initial rationale, and the latter is starting to percolate.

People are playing with fire, the last thing you want when managing something like this, is people getting the sense they're being asked to 'look at the flowers'
[Reply]
wazu 07:53 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It's not meaningless because you are presenting a false dichotomy. There also exists a possibility wherein you can reduce the spread of the virus through mitigation methods to a point where herd immunity is not needed, and there are more examples of that method that we've seen to this point (Asian countries) than the Sweden model.

Sweden will be proven wrong if they have excess cases and deaths that could have been prevented through better testing and contact tracing, which is what Norway was out in front of, perhaps better than any other country in Europe.
I'm coming around to this way of thinking. My feeling is we have to open things up and really, really soon in order to preserve our way of life and not lose everything. If we can do this safely through testing/contact tracing etc then that sounds like the best possible path.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 07:57 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Then we should never open. I mean seriously, I am not trying to be snarky but we cannot just wait for the "perfect scenario" to open because it does not exist.

Should we stay locked down for the next year because we are afraid of a 2nd wave this fall?

This virus isn't going to just die.
Yeah, on that note if you want have a good day don’t research coronavirus and mutations. Prospects for a conventional vaccine look bleak. IMO going to require effective viral therapeutics, an all encompassing vaccine, or a **** it all let’s see what happens attitude to reopen 100%. Hope what I’m reading and or my understanding are flawed.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:59 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It's not meaningless because you are presenting a false dichotomy. There also exists a possibility wherein you can reduce the spread of the virus through mitigation methods to a point where herd immunity is not needed, and there are more examples of that method that we've seen to this point (Asian countries) than the Sweden model.

Sweden will be proven wrong if they have excess cases and deaths that could have been prevented through better testing and contact tracing, which is what Norway was out in front of, perhaps better than any other country in Europe.
Serious question, who or what defines excess? I mean what's the measure of excess death vs excess financial destruction and mental strain on a society?

Its a tough question and a harder answer.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:03 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Serious question, who or what defines excess? I mean what's the measure of excess death vs excess financial destruction and mental strain on a society?

Its a tough question and a harder answer.
I agree. Who defines excess and how is excess measured? Using hindsight based on an assumption is the only way in this case.

If our models have shown us anything it's that it's impossible to predict any of this shit without changing your prediction every 48 hours.
[Reply]
Pants 08:15 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
It seems forever ago, but it was exactly one month ago today we had 300 deaths.

That's 45,000 people dead in one month. While basically the entire country was shut down.
So just like the flu.

Said no one ever.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:30 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
It seems forever ago, but it was exactly one month ago today we had 300 deaths.

That's 45,000 people dead in one month. While basically the entire country was shut down.
That's a touch misleading. As we are finding people going back to Feb if not sooner who had it you are assuming no one before March died from it. Most likely you had people dying from this but we weren't looking for it so......one month ago today is a bit arbitrary.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:33 AM 04-22-2020
On the other hand today we are stating someone died from it even though they have not been tested for it.

The reality is we most likely had people who had this and died from it months before we started looking for it and we are most likely inflating the numbers a bit by assuming people have died from it without knowing for sure.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:34 AM 04-22-2020
On the other hand today we are stating someone died from it even though they have not been tested for it.

The reality is we most likely had people who had this and died from it months before we started looking for it and we are most likely inflating the numbers a bit by assuming people have died from it without knowing for sure.
We most likely missed some as well with this theory.
[Reply]
Donger 08:34 AM 04-22-2020
That's a touch misleading. As we are finding people going back to Feb if not sooner who had it you are assuming no one before March died from it. Most likely you had people dying from this but we weren't looking for it so......one month ago today is a bit arbitrary.
It's not arbitrary at all.

March 21 = 374 deaths
April 21 = 45,318 deaths
[Reply]
petegz28 08:35 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It's not arbitrary at all.

March 21 = 374 deaths
April 21 = 45,318 deaths
Yes it is. How do you know we didn't have anyone die from this before we started keeping count?
[Reply]
Page 1573 of 3903
« First < 573107314731523156315691570157115721573 157415751576157715831623167320732573 > Last »
Up