ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 36
« First < 192526272829 30313233 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2019-2020 NHL Season Thread****
OnTheWarpath15 03:49 PM 09-24-2019
Season begins a week from tomorrow, and the defending champs just traded Joel Edmundson and a prospect for Justin Faulk.

Who's up for back-to-back Cups?

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:59 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Good article on the Net-Minder saga unfolding in St. Louis. As a Goalie dad, I get the drama that the position requires the athlete to deal with. I hope 50 gets all the parts back in line..

https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2020...yet-blues-fans
I don't mind the analysis but it hand-waives the reason Bennington was so good last year.

The idea that he was hung out on many of the goals he's given up isn't inaccurate - but that's kinda the difference between a JAG and a playoff goalie.

A JAG makes the saves he should make. That's a guy that plays for several years in the NHL and even has a few starting caliber seasons. A guy that is a true playoff caliber goalie, OTOH, makes 1 or 2 of those 'holy shit!' saves/gm. And that's the only real difference in the 2. Binnington was making a miracle save every game in the playoffs last year and many of those kept the Blues alive long enough to grind out a win.

Right now Binnington isn't making any of those saves. He's not picking his guys up. The OT goal from Horvat was a bad goal even if it took a defensive breakdown. A JAG may give that goal up, but a Cup caliber goalie makes the save. And down 0-2 with your goalie giving you a JAG performance, why not make a switch?

I think the writer is simply not giving enough weight to any single save that didn't get made. And since hockey has returned, Binnington has had one of those pretty much every game. He hasn't been awful, but he hasn't been good by any stretch.

The Allen v. Elliott conversation was a similar one a few years ago. The Blues needed to take the gamble on Allen because once a game he would make a 'holy shit!' save that Elliott just didn't make and that gave him the potential to evolve into a Cup caliber goalie. If Binner's not making those saves, then you mix it up a bit. Right now he isn't so Allen earned a shot.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:01 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't mind the analysis but it hand-waives the reason Bennington was so good last year.

The idea that he was hung out on many of the goals he's given up isn't inaccurate - but that's kinda the difference between a JAG and a playoff goalie.

A JAG makes the saves he should make. That's a guy that plays for several years in the NHL and even has a few starting caliber seasons. A guy that is a true playoff caliber goalie, OTOH, makes 1 or 2 of those 'holy shit!' saves/gm. And that's the only real difference in the 2. Binnington was making a miracle save every game in the playoffs last year and many of those kept the Blues alive long enough to grind out a win.

Right now Binnington isn't making any of those saves. He's not picking his guys up. The OT goal from Horvat was a bad goal even if it took a defensive breakdown. A JAG may give that goal up, but a Cup caliber goalie makes the save. And down 0-2 with your goalie giving you a JAG performance, why not make a switch?

I think the writer is simply not giving enough weight to any single save that didn't get made. And since hockey has returned, Binnington has had one of those pretty much every game. He hasn't been awful, but he hasn't been good by any stretch.

The Allen v. Elliott conversation was a similar one a few years ago. The Blues needed to take the gamble on Allen because once a game he would make a 'holy shit!' save that Elliott just didn't make and that gave him the potential to evolve into a Cup caliber goalie. If Binner's not making those saves, then you mix it up a bit. Right now he isn't so Allen earned a shot.
I don't disagree at all, but I hope this is a wake-up call for 50, he can't rest on last year, it was last year.
[Reply]
Otter 01:47 PM 08-17-2020
This is going to a weird season to win the cup because it's going to have a big asterisk next to the win and you just know every time the cup is brought up for that team the round robin will be mentioned.

In other words this is the perfect year for the Flyers to win it all.

Although it's tough to feel sorry for my sports teams since we acquired Mahomes.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:25 PM 08-17-2020
Well, the Avalanche are scoring 9 goals per game since Daface left...
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:43 PM 08-17-2020
Yotes are getting buried.

It's weird, because they beat the Blues pretty handily earlier this season,and at times they look pretty good, but then they make the playoffs and just crap themselves.
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:04 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yotes are getting buried.

It's weird, because they beat the Blues pretty handily earlier this season,and at times they look pretty good, but then they make the playoffs and just crap themselves.
They're a fringe playoff team at best right now, having to rely on Kuemper to stand on his head and maybe win a game or two on his own.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to play early 2000s Wild hockey in game 1 should be fired though.... they're over matched in this series, but they aren't that bad.

I hope they keep getting better though and stay in their current arena... their games are fun and it's a nice area.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 05:18 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I don't think it is at all.

I liked Elliott a lot, and I think the FO ****ed him over big time (they never ever trusted him and traded for Miller as a result as well as benched him for Allen in two consecutive postseasons), but he is nowhere near as athletic as Binnington or Allen.

Allen's mental AF and has shown he is nothing but a good tandem goalie while Binnington has shown that he can be a #1.

With that being said, Binnington isn't playing like he did last POs and if Allen's the best chance to win this series, then so be it. Also, the skaters have not played nearly as well as last POs yet.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:55 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Well, the Avalanche are scoring 9 goals per game since Daface left...
:-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:55 PM 08-17-2020
They're a fringe playoff team at best right now, having to rely on Kuemper to stand on his head and maybe win a game or two on his own.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to play early 2000s Wild hockey in game 1 should be fired though.... they're over matched in this series, but they aren't that bad.

I hope they keep getting better though and stay in their current arena... their games are fun and it's a nice area.
They aren't even playing with any attitude. No aggression, nothing. They look like they're playing Week 3 or something.

I keep wishing they'd get better, so I could be interested enough to maybe go see a game once in a while, but they're so sketchy and inconsistent.

Rather root for the Golden Knights.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:08 PM 08-17-2020
7-1. Just ridiculous.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:31 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
They aren't even playing with any attitude. No aggression, nothing. They look like they're playing Week 3 or something.

I keep wishing they'd get better, so I could be interested enough to maybe go see a game once in a while, but they're so sketchy and inconsistent.

Rather root for the Golden Knights.
Yeah, they had to know the Avalanche would be ready after a loss, and it wasn't anywhere close to the level of energy needed to weather the initial storm, much less stay in the game.

They've made some pretty big strides the past couple seasons, but there's generally some growing pains between becoming a playoff team and winning in the playoffs. I think they're overall much closer to the game 2 and 3 version of themselves, but of course need to fix the inconsistency.

I still don't understand the Knights
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:33 PM 08-17-2020
Yeah, they had to know the Avalanche would be ready after a loss, and it wasn't anywhere close to the level of energy needed to weather the initial storm, much less stay in the game.

They've made some pretty big strides the past couple seasons, but there's generally some growing pains between becoming a playoff team and winning in the playoffs. I think they're overall much closer to the game 2 and 3 version of themselves, but of course need to fix the inconsistency.

I still don't understand the Knights
Yeah, I think I agree. A year or two yet before the Yotes are a good playoff team.

I don't actually root for the Knights. Really I just root for Reeves because I liked him when he was a Blue, and want him to do well now as a G-Knight.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:29 PM 08-17-2020
Took all of 5 minutes for the canes to shit themselves.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:32 PM 08-17-2020
JFC, total domination and destruction. :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:56 PM 08-18-2020
Whoo-hoo!!!

LET'S GO BLUES!!!
[Reply]
Page 29 of 36
« First < 192526272829 30313233 > Last »
Up