Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Watchmen HBO
Sure-Oz 04:13 PM 05-08-2019
First teaser. Intrigued.

https://youtu.be/zymgtV99Rko
[Reply]
Bowser 10:06 PM 10-20-2019
That was.....a mess. Not sure how everything got to there from the end of the original graphic novel. I'll have to keep watching to see how they piece all this together, I guess.

Originally Posted by Bowser:
something will signify the social upheaval of today in this show. Because, it still is HBO.
Haha, nailed that. Holy shit.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:34 PM 10-20-2019
:-) :-) - nothing to do with the show itself, but reading the reviews I discovered that a long time AVClub reviewer came to the realization that a TV show had turned him into a woman.

The review

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/10/...ing-out-of-ice

Which, when I recognized the [former] name, led to

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/6/3...dd-vanderwerff
[Reply]
BigBeauford 06:30 AM 10-21-2019
It's The Leftovers with the Watchmen IP, and a gallon of social justice goodness poured over. I hate it.
[Reply]
sully1983 09:24 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
It's The Leftovers with the Watchmen IP, and a gallon of social justice goodness poured over. I hate it.
Damn that bad huh? haha. I'll still give it a shot when I have time to watch it sometime this week.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:32 PM 10-21-2019
Absolute shit. They shouldn't even be allowed to call it Watchmen because it isn't. I"m not a comic book guy but I really liked the Watchmen movie. It was dark and full of cool characters. I was looking forwad to an HBO made series.

I forgot HBO is now WokeBO or RaceBaitBO. "WTF is this shit?" was my thought as I tried to get through the first episode and could not.

The reviews pretty much cover it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7049682...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
[Reply]
candyman 12:59 PM 10-21-2019
Downloading now, for someone who hasn't seen the movie nor read the comic book will it make any sense?
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:15 PM 10-21-2019
Read the comic, dude.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 01:28 PM 10-21-2019
Meh. What did you expect?

Watchmen, the comic, was a nihilistic cynical story without a single redeeming character in which the prime narrative is '**** America'. What do you expect from an anarcho communist lunatic who thinks he has magical powers?

Sounds to me like the exact same type of story time placed in 2019. The **** america narrative is different, but the SPIRIT is the same.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:00 PM 10-21-2019
Despite the disappointment concerning the development of LOST, which was actually more about them being coy about what the show actually was and positioning it as a much different thing that they could not deliver than it was about the merits of the show in retrospect, I'm going to give the creators here leeway to develop the story more than a single episode before assessing their intentions.

Right now, it looks a little 'SJW-y' because it's setting up an alternate history, but I think that both sides are decrying and praising too early. There's still human dynamics and failings all around to explore. I think it's premature to say this show will be straight-up 'the world would be better off with xx, yy skin color in charge' and to deem it such prematurely would be insulting to the writers.

The cops are still abusive, the races are still at odds, all we really know at this point is that the 'victors and vanquished' are a little different than our reality. There is plenty of room to explore whether 'this' world is any more just or justifiable than 'our' world, or whether the same dynamics of power and subjugation and plain old human nature play out largely the same, just with different casting.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:02 PM 10-21-2019
Picard is the last hope for me giving any shits about movies/tv anymore. :-)
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:08 PM 10-21-2019
How could this story be improved by additional chapters?

The last panel of the comic tells you what is going to ultimately happen. Showing it is pointless and lessens the impact of the original's ending. On the other hand if you take the story in a new direction, you pretty much make the original story pointless.

In other words, it's another unneeded Hollywood cash grab.

p.s. Enough with the ****ing comic book movies already!
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:42 PM 10-21-2019
I enjoyed it. Didn't quite 'get' it all, but it would be disappointing for me if I did know everything after the pilot.

Ironically it turned out that the part that bothered me the most, the beginning, was based on real events in Tulsa that I'd never even heard about. As I watched I thought it was some over the top racial allegory they put together for the show as world building. And then I did some reading today and discovered how wrong I was.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:15 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I enjoyed it. Didn't quite 'get' it all, but it would be disappointing for me if I did know everything after the pilot.

Ironically it turned out that the part that bothered me the most, the beginning, was based on real events in Tulsa that I'd never even heard about. As I watched I thought it was some over the top racial allegory they put together for the show as world building. And then I did some reading today and discovered how wrong I was.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
:-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:31 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Despite the disappointment concerning the development of LOST, which was actually more about them being coy about what the show actually was and positioning it as a much different thing that they could not deliver than it was about the merits of the show in retrospect, I'm going to give the creators here leeway to develop the story more than a single episode before assessing their intentions.

Right now, it looks a little 'SJW-y' because it's setting up an alternate history, but I think that both sides are decrying and praising too early. There's still human dynamics and failings all around to explore. I think it's premature to say this show will be straight-up 'the world would be better off with xx, yy skin color in charge' and to deem it such prematurely would be insulting to the writers.

The cops are still abusive, the races are still at odds, all we really know at this point is that the 'victors and vanquished' are a little different than our reality. There is plenty of room to explore whether 'this' world is any more just or justifiable than 'our' world, or whether the same dynamics of power and subjugation and plain old human nature play out largely the same, just with different casting.

You are letting your unabashed love of The Leftovers cloud your judgement. Search your feelings, you know this show to be crap.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:36 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
You are letting your unabashed love of The Leftovers cloud your judgement. Search your feelings, you know this show to be crap.
Neither of us 'know' anything on the basis of one episode.

It's serialized season-based storytelling. The only stance I took was I wasn't gonna make any definitive declarations until the story has actually unfolded.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up