ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 447 of 3903
« First < 347397437443444445446447 4484494504514574975479471447 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:53 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Without question.

And you've devalued the dollar significantly in the process.

Side effects may not justify the cure on this one. This is an EXTREME measure and if that's the direction they go, they had better have some really good ****ing science that says "we do this or several million people WILL die..."

Not might die, but will. This isn't the thing you do to pre-emptively address a calamity, it's something you do to avoid an imminent one. This will fundamentally alter this nation and perhaps permanently.

If there's a way to do ANYTHING other than this, then you cannot do this. I'm truly floored by the transformation of our economy proposed in that legislation.
Having read it closely (not just the bullet points) they need to scale this back — there are elements that are absolutely last resort measures and they seem to be specifically going after controls on certain incentives, forms of commerce, and welfare that will be almost impossible to turn off once you open up the gates. This is going to be used to justify everything from nationalized healthcare to industry, and I’ll leave it to each individual to determine their own stance on those topics. But I don’t see how a lot of these provisions, as written, pass thru Congress as written.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 02:04 AM 03-19-2020
Also, things like forgiving student and other debts and providing arbitrary waivers on future debts have nothing to do with the current crisis. If you’re forced to do something like this the goal should just be in stopping invoices/bills from having to be paid for the period of time that the national emergency continue and then some form of payment to those that need it for essentials. It doesn’t have to be any more complicated or stray into areas that have nothing to do with the current situation.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:44 AM 03-19-2020
Went to the store early again this morning. Still no chicken, but I got the last remaining package of ground pork, some ground beef (limit one) and a couple of packs of hot dogs. Feel like I hit the fucking lotto. Woohoo.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:53 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Went to the store early again this morning. Still no chicken, but I got the last remaining package of ground pork, some ground beef (limit one) and a couple of packs of hot dogs. Feel like I hit the ****ing lotto. Woohoo.
This shit is getting out of hand. People need to calm the fuck down a bit. The world isn't ending. This isn't The Walking Dead. It would help if the media wasn't on 24/7 freak out mode.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:56 AM 03-19-2020
Gyms closed here now.

Stores still low on meat. There isn’t a food shortage people! Shop like normal you fucks!
[Reply]
Mecca 06:03 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
This shit is getting out of hand. People need to calm the fuck down a bit. The world isn't ending. This isn't The Walking Dead. It would help if the media wasn't on 24/7 freak out mode.
The 24/7 news cycle mixed with social media has made people think everything is so much worse than it actually is in general that an event like this brings out the worst.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:05 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The 24/7 news cycle mixed with social media has made people think everything is so much worse than it actually is in general that an event like this brings out the worst.
Exactly!
[Reply]
petegz28 06:07 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Gyms closed here now.

Stores still low on meat. There isn’t a food shortage people! Shop like normal you ****s!
It's fucking insane. "Stay inside unless you need to get out" doesn't mean raid the food shelves. Then again, it took a global virus to get people to wash their fucking hands.
[Reply]
Mecca 06:08 AM 03-19-2020
I always try to explain to a friend of mine, crime is actually down from where it was when we grew up, you'd just never know that because coverage is up....then he wants to argue about it and it annoys me to no end.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:17 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Gyms closed here now.

Stores still low on meat. There isn’t a food shortage people! Shop like normal you fucks!

[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:19 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Went to the store early again this morning. Still no chicken, but I got the last remaining package of ground pork, some ground beef (limit one) and a couple of packs of hot dogs. Feel like I hit the fucking lotto. Woohoo.

I feel bad because I have a half a beef in the freezer.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:28 AM 03-19-2020
Also some key things that are not being said that you really need to be doing as you stay cooped up inside....

1. At least once a day regardless of weather, open a window for a minimum of 20 minutes to swap out bad air with good

2. If you have recently been sick, change your air filter

3. Get outside, especially if it is sunny, for at least 20 minutes to get some vitamin D. 20 minutes in the sun will generate roughly 3 days of vitamin d in your system
[Reply]
dirk digler 06:29 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Near as I can tell - THIS is the end-game for the attempts at virus suppression. I mean...it has to be. You can't hold this thing back forever no matter how hard you try and the longer you do, the less acquired immunity you'll have built up to slow the inevitable spikes in the winter months.

The 'stop the spread' idea is only temporary. Then with the warmer weather will come some easing on movement to allow for the 'flatten the curve' idea to go into full effect and attempts at herd immunity.

And in that 2-4 weeks where we try to put the clamps down, we'll be trying to ramp up our manufacturing base to try to be able to tread water.

Once you start to get a better handle on what the respective approaches entail, you can actually see how they may dovetail together. Frankly, I think the idea of 'cyclical contractions' is going to be just as bad as simply letting the thing take hold. You give people that kind of uncertainty and we'll continue with this national tension for a year or longer. That's not tenable.

But if you have a genuine plan in place where you squeeze tight at the beginning and then relax before allowing nature to take hold (and improved therapeutic treatments/additional supplies to reduce its impact) you're probably gonna see the best combination of outcomes.

But I think it requires a more clear articulation of intentions by national leadership. Give people a target and they'll chase it. Give them a seemingly interminable grind and they'll give up.
I am starting to come around to this idea as well. 4-6 weeks then reopen everything and do the best we can, maybe quarantine people 60\65 or older.

Otherwise there won't be much of a country left. Leadership from the top down has completely failed us.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:30 AM 03-19-2020
Also some key things that are not being said that you really need to be doing as you stay cooped up inside....

1. At least once a day regardless of weather, open a window for a minimum of 20 minutes to swap out bad air with good

3. Get outside, especially if it is sunny, for at least 20 minutes to get some vitamin D. 20 minutes in the sun will generate roughly 3 days of vitamin d in your system
Best post you’ve made in here.

Stay healthy. Still want a beer with you someday. I work near Sun City man!
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 06:41 AM 03-19-2020

It would help if it wasn't raining pretty much everyday so far this week.

Good advice. Definitely gonna a take a walk around the neighborhood or do something in the yard.
[Reply]
Page 447 of 3903
« First < 347397437443444445446447 4484494504514574975479471447 > Last »
Up