ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 123 of 153
« First < 2373113119120121122123 124125126127133 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Hammock Parties 08:33 PM 10-04-2018
Jon Favreau is directing this live-action TV series.

Looks TIGHT.

Originally Posted by :
Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun!

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode.

Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:48 PM 02-16-2021
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
@getFANDOM: Report: Cara Dune is expected to be recast

(via @THR | http://bit.ly/3rZWZBk) https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status...181057/photo/1
My vote.

[Reply]
bowener 11:04 PM 02-16-2021
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
@getFANDOM: Report: Cara Dune is expected to be recast

(via @THR | http://bit.ly/3rZWZBk) https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status...181057/photo/1
Please let it be somebody that can act. It'd be nice to see that character portrayed beyond the range of driftwood.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:18 AM 02-17-2021
Recast? Fuck that just be done with the character and move on.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:01 PM 02-17-2021
The story from the Reporter has been updated. Lucasfilm has no plans to recast Cara Dune.

Otherwise, there's really nothing in this story that I didn't report here the morning after the firing the occurred. It's a mere confirmation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter

Behind Disney's Firing of 'Mandalorian' Star Gina Carano

The ouster of Carano from the show draws the ire of the political right-wing and marks an inflection point for Lucasfilm, whose star was warned repeatedly about her social posts.

It’s a plot twist that no studio relishes: One of its high-profile stars sparks outrage with a controversial social media post. On Feb. 10, The Mandalorian’s Gina Carano became the latest member of the Disney fold to do so, joining a list that includes Roseanne Barr, James Gunn, Letitia Wright and Liu Yifei — each drawing varying degrees of action or inaction from the studio. And no studio faces greater scrutiny over its decisions than the family-friendly Hollywood giant.

In Carano’s case, the move to cut ties had been brewing for some time. In the months leading up to Disney’s investor day presentation Dec. 10, Carano’s agents at UTA were negotiating for the actress to receive a sizable bump for a planned spinoff of Disney+’s The Mandalorian that was to star her fan-favorite character, Cara Dune. The actress, who sources say made $25,000 to $50,000 per episode of The Mandalorian, was poised to be touted during the presentation, in which Kathleen Kennedy announced 10 new Star Wars shows, including Rangers of the New Republic, a series that seemed tailor-made for Carano.

But Carano was nowhere to be found during the lengthy presentation. In the lead-up to the event, Carano had become a lightning rod among Star Wars fans and a headache for Lucasfilm, after a series of tweets in which she mocked mask-wearing, suggested voter fraud occurred during the 2020 election and shared posts that some viewed as transphobic. “She was originally in that presentation when they announced all those things, and they pulled her off of it,” a source tells The Hollywood Reporter. A Lucasfilm source counters that Carano was never officially part of the Dec. 10 presentation and no negotiations for future work had taken place.

Two months later, the deal for her spinoff is dead, as is her relationship with Lucasfilm and UTA, both of whom dropped her after she shared a post suggesting that being a Republican today was akin to being Jewish in the time leading up to the Holocaust. Disney declined comment beyond Lucasfilm’s initial statement describing Carano’s posts as “abhorrent and unacceptable.”

Still, Disney’s decision to show Carano the door has prompted cries from the right, including from Sen. Ted Cruz and pundit Ben Shapiro, that the studio acts when the left is upset. Paired with events in 2018 when then-ABC president Channing Dungey called out as “abhorrent” a tweet from Trump supporter Barr that likened Obama administration alum Valerie Jarrett to a primate, such claims have publicists advising clients to steer clear of politics, especially anything leaning right.

“I don’t know what people at Disney personally believe or don’t believe with regard to politics, but as a corporate entity, they want to stay as trouble-free as possible. And anything that’s going to offend the left is a problem,” says crisis PR rep Juda Engelmayer. “I have clients who are making an extraordinary effort to post what the social left wants to see.”

Black Panther star Wright’s December tweets, which amplified a U.K. minister’s video that questioned the safety of the novel coronavirus vaccine and disparaged trans people, also garnered criticism, as did an August 2019 social media post from Mulan star Liu, who offered support of Hong Kong police during the government’s crackdown on pro-democracy protests. Sources say neither actress was talked to by Disney, which opted to let both matters blow over. (Wright deleted her Twitter account and Liu steered away from the subject in the months leading up to Mulan’s release).

Politics, however, seemed to play a role in Disney’s move to sever ties with Gunn in 2018 after right-wing personalities resurfaced offensive, nearly decade-old tweets that included such eyebrow-raising jokes as: “I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.” At the time Gunn reiterated an apology, stating on Twitter: “Many people who have followed my career know, when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.” One year later, Disney brought him back to direct the third installment of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.

The decision to banish Carano from the Disney kingdom went higher than Mandalorian creator Jon Favreau and was made by Lucasfilm executives. Carano, sources say, had repeatedly been warned by those around her about her social media behavior, with the actress even noting publicly in September that her Mandalorian co-star Pedro Pascal, who has a trans sibling, educated her about the use of pronouns after a social media flare-up. “She knew it was going to alarm people,” says one person in her orbit of her recent posts. “Why would you put Favreau in that position?”

Carano’s ouster had a domino effect, with Hasbro ending production on its popular Cara Dune action figures. (Hasbro says there are “no current plans to create more” Dune products.) Amazon appears to have pulled most of its Cara Dune toy merchandise. When asked why, an Amazon rep declined further comment. Meanwhile, the Dune action figures are seeing brisk sales on eBay at prices well above the original list prices.

Insiders say Cara Dune wasn’t part of the Star Wars series next up, a Boba Fett spinoff, but expect that the character will be recast down the road, for both story and merchandising reasons. A source at Lucasfilm says that a recasting is not expected, however. For her part, Carano will be producing a film with Shapiro’s Daily Wire. “I am sending out a direct message of hope to everyone living in fear of cancellation by the totalitarian mob,” Carano stated Feb. 12. “I have only just begun using my voice which is now freer than ever before, and I hope it inspires others to do the same.”

Carano’s firing comes at an inflection point for Lucasfilm, which was previously criticized for not more strongly defending Star Wars sequel trilogy stars John Boyega and Kelly Marie Tran from racist bullying online over the years. On Jan. 23, the company signaled a shift when it put out a statement of support for Krystina Arielle, the host of The High Republic Show, after she was subject to racist bullying and threats.

Industry observers note that for companies such as Lucasfilm, taking a stance against offensive behavior sends a signal to both employees and fans from marginalized backgrounds that they are valued. “You need an inclusive and welcoming tone set from the top,” says André Carrington, author of Speculative Blackness: The Future of Race in Science Fiction and Associate Professor of English at the University of California, Riverside. One manager who has outspoken clients and has dealt with elements of cancel culture is advising vocal clients to cool it down politically. Says the manager, “If you’re too far on both sides, it hurts you.”

Feb. 16, 5:47 pm PST Updated to add a Lucasfilm source saying that the Cara Dune role on The Mandalorian is not expected to be recast and that she was not part of the Dec. 10 presentation, nor was she engaged in negotiations for future work.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 04:37 PM 02-17-2021
Thanks for updating Dane.
[Reply]
notorious 06:59 PM 02-17-2021
No reason to recast, just write in a new character and develop him/her.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:21 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Agreed
[Reply]
Bowser 09:24 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Right. Recasting Cara Dunne would just bring attention to how she's not played by Carano, and then we're stuck in an infinite loop of bitching and bullshit, and why exactly that is.
[Reply]
wazu 09:27 AM 02-18-2021
Just finished Mandalorian Season Two last night, so finally came out to this thread to see what was being discussed. CARA DUNE WAS CANCELED? WTF?! What a great character. I had to look up why she was canceled and can find nothing that comes anywhere near warranting it. Fucking Disney.
[Reply]
wazu 09:54 AM 02-18-2021
On other topics, I'm curious what people think about the Boba Fett series. The teaser was fun. I'm not sure who the hell Boba Fett is at this point. Seems like all of the sudden he's this noble guy who always does right, then next thing he goes in and blasts his way to sit on Jabba's throne to be the next big gangster. Sopranos in space? I'm guessing at some point we'll get to see how he escaped the Sarlacc.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:32 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
says crisis PR rep Juda Engelmayer. “I have clients who are making an extraordinary effort to post what the social left wants to see.”
This has been today's exercise in identifying the heart of the matter.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:32 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
This has been today's exercise in identifying the heart of the matter.
Wrong
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:52 PM 02-18-2021
Wrong
Persuasive rebuttal. . .

But the more accurate phraseology is 'I [Dane] disagree'
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:02 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Persuasive rebuttal. . .

But the more accurate phraseology is 'I [Dane] disagree'
You believe your the smartest person in the room, regardless of the subject but you're off base, once again.

Even though she was asked more than a dozen times in 2020 to refrain from posting inflammatory remarks on social media, she didn't lose her job. She ignored those requests and continued to post inflammatory remarks for the entire year, despite the fact that both UTA and Disney asked her to stop and didn't lose her job.

She didn't lose didn't lose her job after she posted transphobic remarks nor was she fired for her support of Donald Trump and Conservatives. As a matter of fact, she not only kept her job throughout 2020 and was set to star in her own Star Wars TV series, Rangers of the New Republic, which would have brought wealth beyond her wildest dreams along with legendary Star Wars status.

I know the reason why she lost her job and it was clear the minute she was fired.

So, since you've got this all figured out, tell us, why did she lose her job?
[Reply]
staylor26 05:33 PM 02-18-2021
You believe your the smartest person in the room, regardless of the subject but you're off base, once again.

Even though she was asked more than a dozen times in 2020 to refrain from posting inflammatory remarks on social media, she didn't lose her job. She ignored those requests and continued to post inflammatory remarks for the entire year, despite the fact that both UTA and Disney asked her to stop and didn't lose her job.

She didn't lose didn't lose her job after she posted transphobic remarks nor was she fired for her support of Donald Trump and Conservatives. As a matter of fact, she not only kept her job throughout 2020 and was set to star in her own Star Wars TV series, Rangers of the New Republic, which would have brought wealth beyond her wildest dreams along with legendary Star Wars status.

I know the reason why she lost her job and it was clear the minute she was fired.

So, since you've got this all figured out, tell us, why did she lose her job?
Lie.
[Reply]
Page 123 of 153
« First < 2373113119120121122123 124125126127133 > Last »
Up