ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2775 of 3903
« First < 1775227526752725276527712772277327742775 277627772778277927852825287532753775 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 12:54 PM 08-04-2020
I'm gonna guess we'll have flare ups and hot spots for a while, probably years. Hopefully we get a good vaccine by early next year.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:56 PM 08-04-2020
Sweden reporting 6 new deaths
Finland reporting 2 new deaths
Norway TBD

:-)
[Reply]
Donger 12:56 PM 08-04-2020
The interesting thing about California is that their positive percentage didn't reach anything like Florida, Texas or Arizona. Their maximum so far was 8.0%
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:02 PM 08-04-2020
No fans at the Indy 500 this year even when they delayed it
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:02 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm gonna guess we'll have flare ups and hot spots for a while, probably years. Hopefully we get a good vaccine by early next year.
My sister is trying to move back to Hawaii right now and its next to impossible. You have to quarantine for 2 weeks once you get there which shouldn't be an issue right? Well if you don't already have a house to go to there is almost nowhere to go to do your quarantine.

She found a place that wants $2000 for 2 weeks for her to quarantine there. No short term housing is available and no way to get long term housing until you get through the 2 week quarantine etc..

It seems like a vaccine is their only acceptable outcome because they are going to have no immunity to this anytime soon.
[Reply]
O.city 01:16 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
My sister is trying to move back to Hawaii right now and its next to impossible. You have to quarantine for 2 weeks once you get there which shouldn't be an issue right? Well if you don't already have a house to go to there is almost nowhere to go to do your quarantine.

She found a place that wants $2000 for 2 weeks for her to quarantine there. No short term housing is available and no way to get long term housing until you get through the 2 week quarantine etc..

It seems like a vaccine is their only acceptable outcome because they are going to have no immunity to this anytime soon.
They're currently having a spike right now last i saw.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:18 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:

In case she hasn't thought of it, there are hundreds of AirBnB's available in Hawaii.
[Reply]
Donger 01:19 PM 08-04-2020
They're currently having a spike right now last i saw.

In a news release Monday, the state pointed to crowded beaches as potential sources of outbreaks. On Maui, health investigations traced at least one case in a person who recently attended a “drum circle” at Makena Beach, or a group of roughly 100 people on the beach to watch the sunset and rising of the full moon.

No one was wearing a mask and it did not appear that people were practicing social distancing, the state said.

Anderson added, “Unfortunately, Hawaii is experiencing spikes in cases similar to many mainland states, and in most cases, we can track new infections back to those who have let down their guard. Everyone needs to take this very seriously.”
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:24 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
lol at California having a good response. They had good sound bites and then half the state ignored masks and social distancing and went to the beach and the bars.
If California had opened up as much as AZ or FL we'd be in a worse disaster than N. Italy right now. Cases per capita in CA are still low.

[Reply]
suzzer99 01:29 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
In a news release Monday, the state pointed to crowded beaches as potential sources of outbreaks. On Maui, health investigations traced at least one case in a person who recently attended a “drum circle” at Makena Beach, or a group of roughly 100 people on the beach to watch the sunset and rising of the full moon.

No one was wearing a mask and it did not appear that people were practicing social distancing, the state said.

Anderson added, “Unfortunately, Hawaii is experiencing spikes in cases similar to many mainland states, and in most cases, we can track new infections back to those who have let down their guard. Everyone needs to take this very seriously.”
It seems like every place - state, city or country - goes something like this:

So no matter how well they do locking down in the first place, there's this pressure just waiting to burst out at all times to get that first 20%. Of course the later you can have your initial blowup, the better the treatment and the more hospitals are prepared - so there's value in just not getting it over with.

The big question is if opening schools is going to give the virus a whole new fresh field to plow into beyond that first 20%.
[Reply]
Skyy God 01:47 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
The big question is if opening schools is going to give the virus a whole new fresh field to plow into beyond that first 20%.
Uh, yeah, very likely.
[Reply]
O.city 01:49 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
It seems like every place - state, city or country - goes something like this:
  • roughly 20% of the population just waiting to get the virus as soon as any kind of lockdown is lifted - these could be young healthy people, or those who don't take the virus seriously
  • the rest actively trying to avoid the virus, lucky enough to be able to work from home full time, old/retired etc.

So no matter how well they do locking down in the first place, there's this pressure just waiting to burst out at all times to get that first 20%. Of course the later you can have your initial blowup, the better the treatment and the more hospitals are prepared - so there's value in just not getting it over with.

All across Europe they've had schools open for a while and don't have problems. I'm sure someone will cite the one in Israel where they did have problems, but if you read into that, they had teachers and students going to school symptomatic.

I don't think anyone would argue that wouldn't cause problems.
[Reply]
O.city 01:52 PM 08-04-2020
It's a double edged sword, in that it is better for those who get it to wait longer for better treatment etc, but the longer you draw it out the worse the other side of the damage is.

New York hasn't had much of a second wave at all, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they may very well be done with it.
[Reply]
SAUTO 02:17 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Not quite. That's a 500 percent increase.
An 80 percent increase would be 5 last year, 9 this year.

Hopefully my math isn't wrong, because that would make me feel like a dipshit. A little tired today
:-) i was a dumbass this morning
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:20 PM 08-04-2020
All across Europe they've had schools open for a while and don't have problems. I'm sure someone will cite the one in Israel where they did have problems, but if you read into that, they had teachers and students going to school symptomatic.

I don't think anyone would argue that wouldn't cause problems.
Simple question (well kind of).

In general are kids safer in a controlled environment with protocols, people in masks, and regular sanitizing and cleaning or at home with and doing who knows what?
[Reply]
Page 2775 of 3903
« First < 1775227526752725276527712772277327742775 277627772778277927852825287532753775 > Last »
Up