ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2769 of 3903
« First < 1769226926692719275927652766276727682769 277027712772277327792819286932693769 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 01:13 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I have no idea why they're comparing Sweden to the UK, Italy and Spain instead of say, Finland.

How is Finland faring? How about Norway?

That's like comparing NYC to Salina, KS.
While true, those places are now having some issues with spikes and are looking at having to lock down again.

I don't know the answer here, but Sweden has figured something out in terms of getting it under control. Maybe it's letting more die though, who knows.
[Reply]
Donger 01:14 PM 08-03-2020
The rate of Covid-19 infections is declining in Sweden, which health authorities said is thanks to citizens voluntarily adhering to social distancing guidelines.

Johan Carlson, the director general of Sweden’s public health agency, said the latest official data show that overall contagion rates are “trending down” and the “number of patients in intensive care is also declining.”

Speaking at a briefing in Stockholm on Tuesday, Carlson said that the decline in infection rates “is an effect of us keeping up the social distancing.”

Ironically, basic social distancing requirements in Sweden are now stricter than in many other countries. That’s because places like Denmark and Norway have rolled back the severe lockdowns they imposed early on to fight Covid-19.

The stringency of Swedish requirements according to the Oxford Covid-19 Government Response Tracker shows the country now places greater restrictions on movement than Norway and Finland.

[Reply]
jdubya 01:15 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Small town about an hour and a half south of KC. I hate the town. They decided to cancel the annual fair, but the car show was fine to go on. After the car show they caution taped the park because someone came to the car show and shortly after got back a positive COVID test result. They closed off the park, so they could sanitize the park lmao. The block party that is 90% indoors was fine to go on.

The town is just so crappy. Nothing is ever done to benefit the kids. Every tax measure for improving the school is voted down. This year they tried to pass a $0.60 per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation on property taxes, so they could do much needed repairs to the school. They wanted to get it passed in April, so they could take advantage of the lower interest rates right now, but it got voted down.

Right now the tax levy for the school is the 8th lowest in our 10 school conference. The increase would have put us right in the middle at number 5. The increase would have amounted to a $114 increase on $100,000 appraised value. Most property in the district isn't close to $100,000, so peoples out of pocket would have been less than that. That's less than $10 a month and it couldn't pass. I ****ing hate that town and it's backward ass priorities.

It's where I was raised and my mom used to constantly bitch about no one in town caring enough about the school to pass anything to improve it. Now I understand what she meant.
The citizens voted down a tax increase? The horror
[Reply]
DaFace 01:17 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
While true, those places are now having some issues with spikes and are looking at having to lock down again.

I don't know the answer here, but Sweden has figured something out in terms of getting it under control. Maybe it's letting more die though, who knows.
I'm getting to the point that I see very little value in paying any attention to Sweden at all. There's no clear answer, and people just put their own spin on whatever it is that supports their story.

Want to argue that it should be a free for all? (Or against it?)
-They never locked down! (They did it voluntarily!)
-They allowed their businesses to stay open! (Their economy hasn't done any better than others.)
-They don't have many deaths! (Now, sure, but they did before!)
-They've reached herd immunity! (But other countries have had higher infection rates and are now seeing second waves, so what explains that?)

It's just a mess of information that doesn't really seem to be adding any value to the conversation.
[Reply]
loochy 01:23 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm getting to the point that I see very little value in paying any attention to Sweden at all. There's no clear answer, and people just put their own spin on whatever it is that supports their story.

It's just a mess of information that doesn't really seem to be adding any value to the conversation.
You just described everything about this virus everywhere, not just Sweden.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:26 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
You just described everything about this virus everywhere, not just Sweden.
Eh, I don't think that's entirely true. I think having a general feel for hospitalizations and deaths by region is interesting to try and get a feel for how and where things are growing. I think information on research related to vaccines and therapeutics is good to know to get a feel for how and when things might improve. Information is lacking on means of spread and effectiveness of distancing measures, but to the extent we get new data on that, I think it's good to know about.
[Reply]
O.city 01:30 PM 08-03-2020

-They allowed their businesses to stay open! (Their economy hasn't done any better than others.)
-They've reached herd immunity! (But other countries have had higher infection rates and are now seeing second waves, so what explains that?)

It's just another piece of a very large fucked up puzzle. It's not what some want or don't want.

I do think we have an idea now that full blown lockdowns aren't necessary though as we see places coming down without them the same as those did with them.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:32 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It's just another piece of a very large fucked up puzzle. It's not what some want or don't want.

I do think we have an idea now that full blown lockdowns aren't necessary though as we see places coming down without them the same as those did with them.
(assuming you're in a place where the population is capable of taking precautions voluntarily)
[Reply]
RunKC 01:37 PM 08-03-2020
So we went to a friends baptism last night at the park by the lake (he wanted it to be a good experience in the lake).

We all wore masks outside bc we were requested to. Thought that was dumb but whatever.

We just found out that the guys mother-in-law went to the event last night knowing she wasn’t feeling well. We just got a text that she got a positive confirmed Covid test this morning.

People are selfish and dumb
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:39 PM 08-03-2020

I didn't know that Sweden has what they call a Summer Holiday from June 10-Aug 17th where hardly any one goes to work. The government is telling people to continue to work from home when the Summer holiday is over through autumn\winter.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:41 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
So we went to a friends baptism last night at the park by the lake (he wanted it to be a good experience in the lake).

We all wore masks outside bc we were requested to. Thought that was dumb but whatever.

We just found out that the guys mother-in-law went to the event last night knowing she wasn’t feeling well. We just got a text that she got a positive confirmed Covid test this morning.

Give us an update once some time has passed. I'd be curious to learn if there was any spread. (I'm guessing there won't be, but outdoor spread is still not well understood from my perspective.)
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:43 PM 08-03-2020

do you still think it was dumb to have her wear a mask
[Reply]
Pants 01:44 PM 08-03-2020

I know she probably felt like she simply could not miss such an important event in her little grand-kid's life, but that is brutal.

Hopefully, she at least stayed away from others and wore a mask. I hope you guys left unscathed too.
[Reply]
TLO 01:44 PM 08-03-2020
Give us an update once some time has passed. I'd be curious to learn if there was any spread. (I'm guessing there won't be, but outdoor spread is still not well understood from my perspective.)
If they were outdoors and all wearing masks I'd say the chances of any spread were slim to none.
[Reply]
loochy 01:52 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I know she probably felt like she simply could not miss such an important event in her little grand-kid's life, but that is brutal.

Hopefully, she at least stayed away from others and wore a mask. I hope you guys left unscathed too.
Couldn't she have someone do an IG live or something like that?
[Reply]
Page 2769 of 3903
« First < 1769226926692719275927652766276727682769 277027712772277327792819286932693769 > Last »
Up