ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2768 of 3903
« First < 1768226826682718275827642765276627672768 276927702771277227782818286832683768 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 11:47 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
My local clinic/hospital is so irresponsible. The motherfuckers aren't wearing masks (used to work there and if you didnt get the flu shot you were required to wear one) and then over the weekend they had their annual block party. A couple hundred people crowded in a small hospital seems like a great idea, especially when no one is wearing a mask or social distancing. A significant number of people that go to this are elderly, so hopefully this doesn't start some type of outbreak.

The main thing that irritates me the most about the staff not wearing masks is that the vast majority of patients in the hospital are from the local nursing home. It just blows my mind that a hospital is being so careless.
Impressive. Where is this?
[Reply]
TLO 12:17 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
CDC is now projecting 11k deaths per week in August. That would be an average of 1466 per day. I really hope they are wildly off.
We'll see what happens. This doesn't seem as outlandish of a prediction as "3000 deaths per day" which I've seen articles claim would happen by June 1st and August 1st both.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:20 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
We'll see what happens. This doesn't seem as outlandish of a prediction as "3000 deaths per day" which I've seen articles claim would happen by June 1st and August 1st both.
Of the claim made a few weeks ago that we would have 500,000 dead in this country in 6 months time.
[Reply]
loochy 12:21 PM 08-03-2020
My local clinic/hospital is so irresponsible. The motherfuckers aren't wearing masks (used to work there and if you didnt get the flu shot you were required to wear one) and then over the weekend they had their annual block party. A couple hundred people crowded in a small hospital seems like a great idea, especially when no one is wearing a mask or social distancing. A significant number of people that go to this are elderly, so hopefully this doesn't start some type of outbreak.

The main thing that irritates me the most about the staff not wearing masks is that the vast majority of patients in the hospital are from the local nursing home. It just blows my mind that a hospital is being so careless.
I almost don't believe you

Pics?
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:34 PM 08-03-2020
Here the new Point of Cares test that got approved by NIH.

Originally Posted by :
The following companies have achieved key RADx milestones and will receive support for manufacturing and scale up.

Point-of-Care Tests

Mesa Biotech, San Diego

The company’s Accula SARS-CoV-2 test employs a hand-held RT-PCR device and a compact, single-use cartridge that detects viral RNA at the point of care. Results can be read from the removable cartridge in 30 minutes.

Quidel, San Diego

The Quidel Sofia SARS Antigen FIA test kit, a lateral flow immunoassay, is used with Sofia and Sofia 2 Analyzers in point-of-care settings, such as a doctor’s office or pharmacy. There are currently thousands of Quidel analyzers in place across the United States and HHS has identified this technology for use in nursing homes. The analyzers give electronic results within 15 minutes.

Talis Biomedical, Menlo Park, California

The Talis One COVID-19 point of care test is a multiplexed cartridge used with the compact Talis One instrument. The test detects SARS-CoV-2 through isothermal amplification of viral RNA and an optical detection system, returning a result in under 30 minutes.

[Reply]
TLO 12:37 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Here the new Point of Cares test that got approved by NIH.
Originally Posted by :
Quidel, San Diego

The Quidel Sofia SARS Antigen FIA test kit, a lateral flow immunoassay, is used with Sofia and Sofia 2 Analyzers in point-of-care settings, such as a doctor’s office or pharmacy. There are currently thousands of Quidel analyzers in place across the United States and HHS has identified this technology for use in nursing homes. The analyzers give electronic results within 15 minutes.
This is the one I've been big on. One of our Urgent Care centers in town uses it. 15 minute results and supposedly as accurate as your "gold standard" PCR test.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:38 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Impressive. Where is this?
Small town about an hour and a half south of KC. I hate the town. They decided to cancel the annual fair, but the car show was fine to go on. After the car show they caution taped the park because someone came to the car show and shortly after got back a positive COVID test result. They closed off the park, so they could sanitize the park lmao. The block party that is 90% indoors was fine to go on.

The town is just so crappy. Nothing is ever done to benefit the kids. Every tax measure for improving the school is voted down. This year they tried to pass a $0.60 per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation on property taxes, so they could do much needed repairs to the school. They wanted to get it passed in April, so they could take advantage of the lower interest rates right now, but it got voted down.

Right now the tax levy for the school is the 8th lowest in our 10 school conference. The increase would have put us right in the middle at number 5. The increase would have amounted to a $114 increase on $100,000 appraised value. Most property in the district isn't close to $100,000, so peoples out of pocket would have been less than that. That's less than $10 a month and it couldn't pass. I fucking hate that town and it's backward ass priorities.

It's where I was raised and my mom used to constantly bitch about no one in town caring enough about the school to pass anything to improve it. Now I understand what she meant.
[Reply]
TLO 12:44 PM 08-03-2020
1047 new cases in Missouri today
2 deaths
7 day average of PCR tested individuals dropped from 10.2% to 9.4%
[Reply]
petegz28 12:46 PM 08-03-2020
1047 new cases in Missouri today
2 deaths
7 day average of PCR tested individuals dropped from 10.2% to 9.4%
Worldometers is showing half the cases of that
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 12:48 PM 08-03-2020
My local clinic/hospital is so irresponsible. The mother****ers aren't wearing masks (used to work there and if you didnt get the flu shot you were required to wear one) and then over the weekend they had their annual block party. A couple hundred people crowded in a small hospital seems like a great idea, especially when no one is wearing a mask or social distancing. A significant number of people that go to this are elderly, so hopefully this doesn't start some type of outbreak.

I call bullshit
[Reply]
petegz28 12:52 PM 08-03-2020
After 6 months without lockdown, Sweden's COVID-19 deaths, infections bottom out

After months without lockdowns, school closures and other mitigation measures widely imposed across the world, Sweden's coronavirus cases and deaths have fallen to such minimal levels as to revive the debate over its so-called herd immunity strategy.

Some Swedish officials are far from declaring victory, warning there could be a second wave and that too many elderly died in the country during its comparatively lax pandemic restrictions. The country's population-adjusted death rate, meanwhile, is in the top 10 worldwide, but lower than the rates for Italy, Spain and even New York, where heavy lockdowns prevailed.

And the dramatic drop in new cases and deaths in that country point to a rapidly improving situation there in defiance of many earlier predictions.
The Swedish government has engaged in minimal interventions and imposed relatively few restrictions upon its citizenry for the duration of the pandemic. Yet the so-called "Swedish model" has for months drawn alarm and derision from countless world health authorities. Many have insisted that sweeping, open-ended restrictions on social and economic activity — including lockdowns, strict "social distancing" measures, and mandatory face mask orders — are the only practical methods by which the coronavirus can be halted.

Though there is relatively little evidence to support such measures, many governments — particularly those in Western Europe and the United States — have for several months imposed such orders on their respective citizens, with numerous European heads of state and U.S. governors indicating that these measures may remain in place until an effective vaccine is developed, a process that could take years, if ever, to come to fruition.

Heavy mitigation has no 'historical scientific basis'

Sweden largely eschewed such policies. Throughout March, as much of the Western world was shutting down large swaths of its economies and strictly limiting individual mobility with stay-at-home orders, Sweden opted for a much lighter touch, refusing to close down service industries, leaving schools largely open, and allowing its borders to remain open. It did restrict large gatherings for a time, while some schools were closed.

According to the World Health Organization, Sweden's daily deaths peaked in late April at 185 and have been declining ever since; on some recent days, the country has recorded as few as nine deaths. Daily new cases were in the low-to-mid-hundreds for most of July, and a few days no new cases were recorded at all.

Anders Tegnell, the country's chief epidemiologist and for months now the public face of the Swedish model, has been openly dismissive of the far-reaching mitigation measures undertaken by so many other countries.

"Closedown, lockdown, closing borders — nothing has a historical scientific basis, in my view," Tegnell said in April. "We have looked at a number of European Union countries to see whether they have published any analysis of the effects of these measures before they were started, and we saw almost none."

"Closing borders, in my opinion, is ridiculous, because COVID-19 is in every European country now," Tegnell said at the time, adding: "Nowhere in Europe has been able to slow down the spread considerably."

Swedish death rate is among highest in the world, but lower than some lockdown countries

The country has been the subject of withering criticism since March. In July, the New York Times said that the country was a "cautionary tale" for the world. The National Post in June said the Swedish model "failed" and that the country "took the pain, but realized no gain." In May, Wired stated that the country's epidemiological experiment "well and truly failed."

Read more....

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...s-bottomed-out
[Reply]
Donger 01:00 PM 08-03-2020
Do you even see the "politics" in the URL, pete?
[Reply]
dlphg9 08-03-2020, 01:03 PM
This message has been deleted by dlphg9.
dlphg9 08-03-2020, 01:05 PM
Pants 01:06 PM 08-03-2020
I have no idea why they're comparing Sweden to the UK, Italy and Spain instead of say, Finland.

How is Finland faring? How about Norway?

That's like comparing NYC to Salina, KS.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08-03-2020, 01:08 PM
dirk digler 01:12 PM 08-03-2020
This is the one I've been big on. One of our Urgent Care centers in town uses it. 15 minute results and supposedly as accurate as your "gold standard" PCR test.
Cool. This piqued my interest because I read today England was rolling out 2 POC tests but theirs get results in under 90 minutes. One of them though can do a test for both flu and Covid which is perfect timing for fall.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:13 PM 08-03-2020
Here's a screenshot from a post by a local NP
Attached: Screenshot_2020-08-03-13-41-11~2.jpg (72.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 2768 of 3903
« First < 1768226826682718275827642765276627672768 276927702771277227782818286832683768 > Last »
Up