ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2767 of 3903
« First < 1767226726672717275727632764276527662767 276827692770277127772817286732673767 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 09:45 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
So there's a study out of Switzerland I believe, that shows the vast majority of spread is actually in homes, not out and about it the community.

If thats the case, i don't know how you stop that
China figured that out early on so they started removing people from homes and put them in a quarantine camp. I and others suggested doing something similar by placing people voluntarily in empty hotels and boy did I get shit on.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:01 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
CDC is now projecting 11k deaths per week in August. That would be an average of 1466 per day. I really hope they are wildly off.
That would require quite a surge in the death rate for that to happen. Last week which was the worst week in a long time was only 1,300 daily average. With the way cases are dropping now it would be hard to see us getting there. Let's just hope it doesn't happen.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:09 AM 08-03-2020
Yeah.

As much of an issue as people have with wearing masks, i don't think they'll take being asked to isolate away from home very well
There's just not really a mechanism in place to make that a reasonable thing to do. If you're isolated but in the same home, it's highly likely that air movement alone will cause it to spread. So unless we're going to start subsidizing people going to hotels (presumably that have been identified to have optimal air circulation), home spread is just going to be a reality.
[Reply]
O.city 10:10 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
There's just not really a mechanism in place to make that a reasonable thing to do. If you're isolated but in the same home, it's highly likely that air movement alone will cause it to spread. So unless we're going to start subsidizing people going to hotels (presumably that have been identified to have optimal air circulation), home spread is just going to be a reality.
Yeah, unless they're willing to open up hotels or whatever, thats just gonna be part of it.
[Reply]
O.city 10:12 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I saw a study from Korea to which you may be referring. I am not sure what the point of it was, but I think it's pretty obvious that if you bring COVID home, your family will most likely get it and you just infected a number of people (this variable is different in different countries due to the way the families live).

You have to employ the same mitigation mechanisms which have been discussed a million times so you don't bring SARS2 home to spread to your family.
Thing is though, is there really that much spread happening say in restaurants and what not?

Youre just not there long enough IMO but who knows.

I think the at home thing is just another feather in the "there's some kind of preexisting immunity" hat because we've seen some homes have it in a single person and not pass it.

For instance, anecdotal story, but my wife's cousin that tested positive stayed in the same house as his wife and 2 kids. None of them had any issues.

Something weird going on there.
[Reply]
O.city 10:15 AM 08-03-2020
Also, it's good to have some good news as hospitalizations in Arizona are going down fast. Hoping the same is happening in Florida and Texas, which appears to be the case.
[Reply]
loochy 10:23 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I saw a study from Korea to which you may be referring. I am not sure what the point of it was, but I think it's pretty obvious that if you bring COVID home, your family will most likely get it and you just infected a number of people (this variable is different in different countries due to the way the families live).

You have to employ the same mitigation mechanisms which have been discussed a million times so you don't bring SARS2 home to spread to your family.

I'm not going to leave my family members high and dry when they need me. If they get it, I get it. We're in this together.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:24 AM 08-03-2020
Thing is though, is there really that much spread happening say in restaurants and what not?

Youre just not there long enough IMO but who knows.

I think the at home thing is just another feather in the "there's some kind of preexisting immunity" hat because we've seen some homes have it in a single person and not pass it.

For instance, anecdotal story, but my wife's cousin that tested positive stayed in the same house as his wife and 2 kids. None of them had any issues.

Something weird going on there.
I'd really like to see some sort of summary of where infections have come from (to the extent that they can be identified). In other words, what percentage of total infections have come from home spread, workplaces, retail stores, restaurants, schools, outdoor events, etc.? I know that, conceptually, restaurants are riskier than parks, but it's hard to really get a feel for the quantified risks.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:26 AM 08-03-2020
So there's a study out of Switzerland I believe, that shows the vast majority of spread is actually in homes, not out and about it the community.

If thats the case, i don't know how you stop that

That may be causing a rise in caseload, but that doesn't seem like a root cause. It's just an outcome of people bringing it into the home from elsewhere. So I would think that 'elsewhere' would remain the focus, right?
[Reply]
O.city 10:27 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'd really like to see some sort of summary of where infections have come from (to the extent that they can be identified). In other words, what percentage of total infections have come from home spread, workplaces, retail stores, restaurants, schools, outdoor events, etc.? I know that, conceptually, restaurants are riskier than parks, but it's hard to really get a feel for the quantified risks.
For sure.

I have yet to see any evidence on any coming from outside. Which, makes sense.

Retail stores or places where you likely aren't in or atleast aren't in for very long seem to be extremely low (grocery stores, shopping etc).

Work would seemingly be higher (everyone was panicked about dentist offices at first, lotta guys had staff quit etc, but we have always practiced these protocols so it didn't make sense but not much does these days) depending on where you are or how long youre there.

Ventilation is a big factor here IMO.
[Reply]
O.city 10:29 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
That may be causing a rise in caseload, but that doesn't seem like a root cause. It's just an outcome of people bringing it into the home from elsewhere. So I would think that 'elsewhere' would remain the focus, right?
For sure, but that's where you're gonna get the majority of cases just out of it being where people are around others the most.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:42 AM 08-03-2020
For sure.

I have yet to see any evidence on any coming from outside. Which, makes sense.

Retail stores or places where you likely aren't in or atleast aren't in for very long seem to be extremely low (grocery stores, shopping etc).

Work would seemingly be higher (everyone was panicked about dentist offices at first, lotta guys had staff quit etc, but we have always practiced these protocols so it didn't make sense but not much does these days) depending on where you are or how long youre there.

Ventilation is a big factor here IMO.
I think being outdoors makes a big difference but we are going to have a true test here shortly because Sturgis is still on. They are expecting 250k+ to attend.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:53 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Spoiler!
Quite the cunt.

Is there a part two?
[Reply]
Pants 11:08 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Spoiler!
God, I wanted to see them find out it was all recorded SO BADLY. Dammit!

I hope those two idiots go to jail. You can't just throw your drink at someone, much less so when that drink is hot.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:29 AM 08-03-2020
My local clinic/hospital is so irresponsible. The motherfuckers aren't wearing masks (used to work there and if you didnt get the flu shot you were required to wear one) and then over the weekend they had their annual block party. A couple hundred people crowded in a small hospital seems like a great idea, especially when no one is wearing a mask or social distancing. A significant number of people that go to this are elderly, so hopefully this doesn't start some type of outbreak.

The main thing that irritates me the most about the staff not wearing masks is that the vast majority of patients in the hospital are from the local nursing home. It just blows my mind that a hospital is being so careless.
[Reply]
Page 2767 of 3903
« First < 1767226726672717275727632764276527662767 276827692770277127772817286732673767 > Last »
Up