ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 61
« First < 6465253545556 57585960 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Report: Orlando Brown requests trade from Ravens, wants to play LT
Sofa King 01:40 PM 02-10-2021
Moving on from Fisher? Probably not.

Cap room for him? Not really, but moves could be made.

Draft capital for him? Maybe, but we're awfully low in the draft.

Tunsil trade (For record-keeping purposes, the trade saw the Dolphins acquire first-round picks in 2020 and 2021 and a second-round pick in 2021 along with offensive tackle Julién Davenport and defensive back Johnson Bademosi in exchange for Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round selection.)

https://www.nfl.com/news/orlando-bro...nts-to-play-lt

It only took the Ravens a little over a year to learn their selection of Orlando Brown was a wise one, but they've met a new challenge with the tackle that could be their last.

Brown has expressed his desire to be traded, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday. After spending the majority of 2020 on the left side in place of the injured Ronnie Stanley, Brown has found his comfort zone and does not want to return to the right side. He'll only play for a team that will line him up at his preferred left tackle position, per Rapoport.

Rapoport added the Ravens value Brown significantly and would need major compensation in order to do a deal.

Brown's background is on the left side, but he ended up in Baltimore as a right tackle after a poor pre-draft showing saw him slide from a first-round projection to an eventual third-round pick of the Ravens. He blossomed in 2019 and especially in 2020 after switching to the left side to replace Stanley, earning his second straight trip to the Pro Bowl -- and first as an initial selection. Thanks to Brown's quick adjustment to the left side of the line, Baltimore didn't lose much in offensive production following Stanley's injury, finishing as the league's No. 1 rushing offense for a second straight season.

Brown's success on the left side and desire to remain there might very well also be tied to the financial ramifications of the tackle position. As it currently stands, there is a $5 million per year difference between the league's highest-paid right tackle (Philadelphia's Lane Johnson) and left tackle (Green Bay's David Bakhtiari). Of the top 10 highest-paid tackles in the NFL (in terms of average salary per year), only two -- Johnson and Las Vegas' Trent Brown -- are right tackles.

Orlando Brown missed out on significant money typically afforded to first-round picks right around the moment when he racked the bar after just 14 bench-press reps during a nightmarish 2018 NFL Scouting Combine. He's made a little over $1.8 million in base salary total in his first three seasons, and though he will see a significant boost in 2021 (base salary of $3.38 million) due to the structure of his rookie deal, that's still an incredibly far cry from where tackles of his level land in compensation ranking.

After demonstrating his ability to effectively handle the transition from right to left tackle -- a return to his roots, essentially -- Brown is in a prime position to capitalize financially and beyond. He'll maximize his earning potential by remaining a left tackle, and he'll probably enjoy playing the game a bit more in a stance and vantage point that's more familiar to him, anyway.

If that doesn't fit in Baltimore, the Ravens will have to move him. And though this isn't exactly the best way to ensure maximum leverage in a deal, they'll probably still get a haul for him.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 10:43 AM 04-23-2021
The Chiefs need ______, it is the second most important position behind QB. New season, new _____ second most important position behind QB. You need to work with the assets you have or start falling into a hole.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:47 AM 04-23-2021
Originally Posted by Rainbarrel:
The Chiefs need ______, it is the second most important position behind QB. New season, new _____ second most important position behind QB. You need to work with the assets you have or start falling into a hole.
Precisely.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 11:03 AM 04-23-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'd rather trade picks for Brown than trade picks in the draft. Brown isn't my first choice but he's definitely not my last either.
This is where I'm at as well.....If hypothetically we were to take a tackle at pick 31, and we hypothetically ended up with an Orlando Brown exact clone, we'd all probably be very happy with the result of that pick.

Unfortunately (back to reality), the risk prevents us from every really knowing whether an unproven rookie will ever pan out, and the odds would be that we would most likely not end up with an Orlando Brown.

I'd also say that moving up does nothing to mitigate that risk either, and spending multiple picks on said move up to me is generally pretty silly (outside of picking a Patrick Mahomes, which I don't gather any T in this draft is the next Patrick Mahomes....see my caveat below)

So, if we'd likely be happy with an "Orlando Brown" at 31....why not get the actual Orlando Brown with 31? Sure, it'd cost us some money, but I'd guess they would restructure, lock him up for several years, and probably increases the probability of getting to and winning more Super Bowls for next 3-5 years or more. And if they could get him for multiple non-first rounder picks, even better (although I don't profess that is the case). Heck, even if they gave a first and an additional low rounder, I'd probably be OK with that as well - not with-standing the values of those picks.

NOTE: I'm neither a draft guy nor a salary cap guy, so those things don't really go into my equation. Just keep PMII upright please....
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:11 AM 04-23-2021
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:
This is where I'm at as well.....If hypothetically we were to take a tackle at pick 31, and we hypothetically ended up with an Orlando Brown exact clone, we'd all probably be very happy with the result of that pick.

Unfortunately (back to reality), the risk prevents us from every really knowing whether an unproven rookie will ever pan out, and the odds would be that we would most likely not end up with an Orlando Brown.

I'd also say that moving up does nothing to mitigate that risk either, and spending multiple picks on said move up to me is generally pretty silly (outside of picking a Patrick Mahomes, which I don't gather any T in this draft is the next Patrick Mahomes....see my caveat below)

So, if we'd likely be happy with an "Orlando Brown" at 31....why not get the actual Orlando Brown with 31? Sure, it'd cost us some money, but I'd guess they would restructure, lock him up for several years, and probably increases the probability of getting to and winning more Super Bowls for next 3-5 years or more. And if they could get him for multiple non-first rounder picks, even better (although I don't profess that is the case). Heck, even if they gave a first and an additional low rounder, I'd probably be OK with that as well - not with-standing the values of those picks.

NOTE: I'm neither a draft guy nor a salary cap guy, so those things don't really go into my equation. Just keep PMII upright please....
They were fine with giving a 33-year old Trent Williams, who does have some injuries in his past, a massive contract.

But they're not comfortable paying a little less for a 24-year old former pro bowler who could be here the WHOLE TIME Mahomes is here (he's actually a year younger than Mahomes).

I absolutely do not understand the willingness to trade up in the draft but not being willing to trade for Brown.

It tells me they haven't looked close enough at this draft class beyond the top 2-3 guys. Many of them have "run first" or "right tackle" written all over them and that's the prevailing criticism of Brown. The difference is that we KNOW he can play NFL tackle at a pro bowl level.

This place just can't help but throw away any semblance of reason when something like the game in February happens. ChiefsPanic.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:14 AM 04-23-2021
Brown/Thuney/Blythe/LDT/Long (or Niang)

THAT looks like a rebuilt line to me. The left side of that line will be motherfucking All-Pro. The Right side should be solid at the very least with a potential pro-bowl RT.

The Combo of Remmers/Niang/Long will serve as RT and depth.

Sign me up for that shit.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:19 AM 04-23-2021
:-) At this point I'm pretty sure the board is going to freak out more when the Chiefs do the blatantly obvious and pick an OT in the first.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 11:22 AM 04-23-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They were fine with giving a 33-year old Trent Williams, who does have some injuries in his past, a massive contract.

But they're not comfortable paying a little less for a 24-year old former pro bowler who could be here the WHOLE TIME Mahomes is here (he's actually a year younger than Mahomes).

I absolutely do not understand the willingness to trade up in the draft but not being willing to trade for Brown.

It tells me they haven't looked close enough at this draft class beyond the top 2-3 guys. Many of them have "run first" or "right tackle" written all over them and that's the prevailing criticism of Brown. The difference is that we KNOW he can play NFL tackle at a pro bowl level.

This place just can't help but throw away any semblance of reason when something like the game in February happens. ChiefsPanic.
I can't speak for the quality of draft prospects, because I don't follow them at all, but otherwise 100% agree.

In fact, it kind of defies logic really....

My only concern is winning Super Bowls, and Orlando Brown increases our odds of doing so probably very significantly, and certainly to a much higher degree than an unproven rookie....if all that cost us was pick 31, then sign me up! If all I give up is some cap space, and #31, and have the remainder of our picks to add talent....even freaking better

I don't ever think anything is a "slam-dunk".....but this to me is as close as it probably comes. If OB can be had for #31....you do it all day every day and twice on Sunday....
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:34 AM 04-23-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
They said a top 40 pick
Have you got a link to that? There has never been a confirmation of that. Most NFL people think it will take multiple 1st.
I understand that Brown is a known commodity. But to have to fork over 2 or 3 1st and or 2cd day picks and also give a top 5 LT contract is a lot, especially when Veach just said in his press conference that they used some of that money to get Jarran Reed.
[Reply]
ROYC75 12:09 PM 04-23-2021
Here is how the Chiefs will view this Brown vs Draft OT debate.

Brown :a proven OT, In college and Pros for reasonable draft positions?

Draft OT @ 31 or wherever they draft? Rolling the dice, attempting to fix it with a question mark?

Niang or some other in house personnel?

Clearly give me the 1st option. As long as we can get him reasonably and Balt. Will deal with us. If not,sign a stop gap guy and address it in the draft.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:19 PM 04-23-2021
The other, potential, issue is that other clubs must not be offering a ton to get what people are describing as a unique talent at LT. LT is almost always a need, so why aren't people lining up to get this guy?
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:24 PM 04-23-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
The other, potential, issue is that other clubs must not be offering a ton to get what people are describing as a unique talent at LT. LT is almost always a need, so why aren't people lining up to get this guy?
More than likely because of the cost of draft picks AND a new contract.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:25 PM 04-23-2021
Cuz he 'spensive.

I think any team that would even consider it likely has a franchise Qb in place. And well, how many of THOSE are around.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:30 PM 04-23-2021
And some of those teams could just see what they can get in the draft.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 12:46 PM 04-23-2021
You could say the same for a draft pick: How come no team drafted this guy in the first 30 picks!!!!!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would assume the acquiring team would do their due diligence to ensure OB is, in fact, the OB we all expect him to be prior to a trade going down.

As far as "unique talent" goes, I'd say that OB, at worst, is equal to Fish, and we won a Super Bowl with Fish. I'd personally say that he is an upgrade over a healthy Fish. I don't know if that's "unique talent" or not, but it'd more than good enough to win a Super Bowl....

But the issue isn't what we need to give for OB, it's does OB make us better than who we can draft at #31. The answer is "I have no clue", but if I had a choice of a proven NFL lineman (and not just proven, but a Pro Bowl level performer) over a rookie with zero NFL experience drafted in a process that is proven over history to be unreliable at best, well, I know my answer.

EDIT: I noticed some responses referencing the price tag.....for me, that's a non-issue. The Chiefs will find a way to make that work if OB can be had for #31
[Reply]
wazu 01:00 PM 04-23-2021

������ https://t.co/BcIAoP2orC

— Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) April 23, 2021

[Reply]
Page 56 of 61
« First < 6465253545556 57585960 > Last »
Up