ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 29
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>Heavy Metal & Hard Rock thread
InChiefsHeaven 02:22 PM 04-18-2023
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Are any of you old metalheads into newer stuff? For me Gojira, Lamb of God, and Meshuggah are go-tos.
My son is, so I've heard some stuff. I don't hate it but I don't really pursue it.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 02:37 PM 04-18-2023
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
My son is, so I've heard some stuff. I don't hate it but I don't really pursue it.
The vocals can be hard to get used to. Yelling is one thing (Slayer, Pantera), but I tend to tune out the moment I hear some guy growling like an animal, or like he's about to vomit (Cannibal Corpse).
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:55 AM 04-19-2023
The vocals can be hard to get used to. Yelling is one thing (Slayer, Pantera), but I tend to tune out the moment I hear some guy growling like an animal, or like he's about to vomit (Cannibal Corpse).
What kills me is, I honestly feel like the vocals could be sung by a really talented vocalist for most of this stuff and it would make it better. Cannibal Corpse is a great example of "What the fuck is he grumbling about?"

I hate that shit. There's a place for emotion and screaming, but when it's all garbled shit, it's...well...shit.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:11 AM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
What kills me is, I honestly feel like the vocals could be sung by a really talented vocalist for most of this stuff and it would make it better. Cannibal Corpse is a great example of "What the fuck is he grumbling about?"

I hate that shit. There's a place for emotion and screaming, but when it's all garbled shit, it's...well...shit.
I can understand different tastes in vocal styles but the bands name is Cannibal Corpse.

Are you really expecting a song called Stripped, Raped and Strangled to be sang with a Meat Loaf vocal style?

Think of death metal vocals as an additional instrument. Nobody gives a single fuck about the lyrics.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:36 PM 04-18-2023
Are any of you old metalheads into newer stuff? For me Gojira, Lamb of God, and Meshuggah are go-tos.
Gojira is probably the best "modern" metal band from a purely talent stand point. They put on an absolutely amazing show at The Cotillion recently. Their stuff runs from death metal to progressive metal. Just an amazing band. Love how they continually evolve their sound, but you know it is Gojira regardless of album/song when you hear it.

I've never been able to get into Lamb of God or Meshuggah. Both are talented bands, just something misses for me.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 02:49 PM 04-18-2023
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Gojira is probably the best "modern" metal band from a purely talent stand point. They put on an absolutely amazing show at The Cotillion recently. Their stuff runs from death metal to progressive metal. Just an amazing band. Love how they continually evolve their sound, but you know it is Gojira regardless of album/song when you hear it.

I've never been able to get into Lamb of God or Meshuggah. Both are talented bands, just something misses for me.
I saw Gojira a few years ago at a Deftones show and had heard of them but never really listened before. The show was fine but I wasn't super into it until they closed the show with The Gift of Guilt. For whatever reason, that song resonates with me, both the music and the lyrics, so much that it almost gets me emotional.

[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 03:48 PM 04-20-2023
You mentioned City Gardens, fun fact Jon Stewart used to bartend there back in the day when he was a struggling comedian. I actually read an interview where he talked about his time there.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:44 PM 04-18-2023
I love Melodic Death Metal.

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:44 PM 04-18-2023

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:47 PM 04-18-2023
Some modernish Thrash.

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:47 PM 04-18-2023
Crazy Finnish Space Metal.

[Reply]
kpic 03:29 PM 04-18-2023
I was looking up what happened to a few of these places we used to go to and as I figured most are closed now or have been demolished.

The place in Asbury Park I couldn't remember was the Stone Pony and looks like that's still around. I forgot about the Trocadero in Philly (closed just a few years ago) that was a pretty good place to go and interestingly City Gardens (closed) had Jon Stewart as bartender from 1984-1987, that was right in my time-frame so he probably poured me a beer or two at some point.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:48 PM 04-18-2023
OK, Dark Horse look what we have done! Let's do this!
[Reply]
Stryker 08:21 PM 04-18-2023
Judas Priest - Painkiller

RAMMSTEIN - Armee der Tristen

STRYPER - Murder By Pride

LOUDNESS - Jealousy

QUEENSRYCHE - Take Hold of the Flame

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

AIRBOURNE - Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast

VOLBEAT - Shotgun Blues

RAVEN - Mind Over Metal

DIO - The Last in Line

ACCEPT - Balls to the Wall

METAL RULES THE LAND! :-)
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:35 PM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by Stryker:
QUEENSRYCHE - Take Hold of the Flame

RAVEN - Mind Over Metal

Queensryche I still listen to occasionally and that Raven album is HIGHLY underrated amazing to this day still.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 29
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up