ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2028 of 3903
« First < 1028152819281978201820242025202620272028 202920302031203220382078212825283028 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:31 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Then you should stop doing it as well as making assumptions.

Aside from your ridiculous straw man argument, no one is saying he isn't allowed to change his mind. The point is one man's word is not the gospel.
And that’s the thing, pete: Science isn’t Gospel, it’s science.

Science changes every minute and every hour as we humans make new discoveries. It’s not something that’s been set in stone for thousands of years so it stands to reason that if new discoveries are made, new recommendations will follow.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:31 AM 05-13-2020
I only jump in once in a while.

Minnesota expected to extend stay at home orders, with some exceptions.

Gov live at 6pm tonigjt.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:35 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
And that’s the thing, pete: Science isn’t Gospel, it’s science.

Science changes every minute and every hour as we humans make new discoveries. It’s not something that’s been set in stone for thousands of years so it stands to reason that if new discoveries are made, new recommendations will follow.
And why is it we should listen to only Fauci? Sorry but as you said, it isn't gospel. Therefore I like to get a broader take on things and not just one man's opinion. Fauci seems to come off as a bit extreme. The more people I hear talking like the doctors from NYU, etc. the more I am convinced that Fauci is on the edge a lot so I like to hear opinions from others to provide some balance.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:37 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
WTF is CNN doing
If you ever figure that one out you could write a book and make a lot of $'s.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 10:42 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
WTF is CNN doing
Elaborate?
[Reply]
Donger 10:43 AM 05-13-2020
And why is it we should listen to only Fauci? Sorry but as you said, it isn't gospel. Therefore I like to get a broader take on things and not just one man's opinion. Fauci seems to come off as a bit extreme. The more people I hear talking like the doctors from NYU, etc. the more I am convinced that Fauci is on the edge a lot so I like to hear opinions from others to provide some balance.
What are the doctors from NYU saying that is different from Fauci?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:43 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
Elaborate?
Greta Thunberg is now an expert on Covid-19
[Reply]
petegz28 10:45 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
What are the doctors from NYU saying that is different from Fauci?
I think the more important question is what aren't they saying that Fauci is?

But instead of my engaging you in what will surely turn into your standard act of pedantic hair splitting I would say why don't you just go look for yourself?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:46 AM 05-13-2020
And why is it we should listen to only Fauci? Sorry but as you said, it isn't gospel. Therefore I like to get a broader take on things and not just one man's opinion.
He's not conducting research. He's looking across the landscape of research and drawing conclusions based on the general consensus. And it's not like there's this army of epidemiologists and public health officials who disagree with him. A vast, vast majority of experts agree with his conclusions.

If there's one thing that I've come to despise about the current public discourse about science, it's that people don't understand (or care about?) the idea of scientific consensus. If 10 studies are done, and 9 of them come to the same conclusion, that's pretty reliable. Is it perfect? No. But if we're placing bets (in the form of policy), it's pretty good.

The world we live in, though, means that people who don't like that consensus will just point to the 1 dissenting study and say that it "proves" that the consensus is "wrong." Is it possible the others were wrong? Yes. Is it likely? No.

We've somehow arrived in a world that, despite millenia of scientific advances leading to where we are today, people look for anything they can possibly do to discredit anything they don't agree with.

I'm not saying we should trust everything that Fauci says. I even agree that it would be nice to have an economist more prominently featured who can bring that view to the discussion (though note that surveys of economists suggest they think that opening things up is risky as well). I just don't understand why everyone is going all conspiracy theorist about the guy when he's literally dedicated his life to keeping people healthy.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:46 AM 05-13-2020
I don't think he is extreme , it just comes off like that to people who don't agree with him, he just happens to be focusing on the virus aspect of the pandemic because that is his job , he probably thinks it is going to be worse than he is saying if you asked him in private.
[Reply]
Strongside 10:48 AM 05-13-2020
What would you do?

My wife booked a round trip through Tampa about 2 months ago, scheduled for June 5th. We've booked a small house on a tiny island south of the city. Fairly isolated. The plan from the start was to basically hang out at the house, enjoy the weather and the pool and occasionally walk down to the beach.

Fast forward to now, and while the flight is nowhere near full, I'm having some serious reservations about going through with this trip. I'm hearing stories of airlines consolidating flights last minute with no notification, essentially filling planes to capacity and making social distancing impossible.

My main issue is that my wife does not share my concerns. Not even in the slightest. She is so hellbent on getting out of the house that she seems to be in some level of denial that air travel, or travel in general, is a serious risk right now. We are both young and in great health, but I worry about being a vector and spreading this thing to someone I either know or don't know. I can't imagine that.

I feel like she's being incredibly selfish, and only wants to take this trip because we have been at home for so long. It's a want, not a need. Our division over it has caused a lot of stress and several arguments. I am trying to find a compromise - something like driving to the mountains and staying in a remote cabin. Hiking, fishing, etc. but she just isn't biting.

To compound matters, we would be traveling with our 1 year old son. That, to me, is enough to axe the entire thing. We can wear masks and keep our hands off of shit. He will touch every surface, put his hands in his mouth, etc.

It's just too much risk for me to be willing to take right now.

Am I tripping? Would you go or put your foot down and say we aren't doing it.

Not looking for someone to tell me what to do here, just looking for some outside perspective.
[Reply]
Donger 10:49 AM 05-13-2020
I think the more important question is what aren't they saying that Fauci is?

But instead of my engaging you in what will surely turn into your standard act of pedantic hair splitting I would say why don't you just go look for yourself?
Well, you seem to already know what they are saying differently than Fauci, no? If so, what is it? Something you like better?

Pretty hard for look them up without names.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:49 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
He's not conducting research. He's looking across the landscape of research and drawing conclusions based on the general consensus. And it's not like there's this army of epidemiologists and public health officials who disagree with him. A vast, vast majority of experts agree with his conclusions.

If there's one thing that I've come to despise about the current public discourse about science, it's that people don't understand (or care about?) the idea of scientific consensus. If 10 studies are done, and 9 of them come to the same conclusion, that's pretty reliable. Is it perfect? No. But if we're placing bets (in the form of policy), it's pretty good.

The world we live in, though, means that people who don't like that consensus will just point to the 1 dissenting study and say that it "proves" that the consensus is "wrong." Is it possible the others were wrong? Yes. Is it likely? No.

We've somehow arrived in a world that, despite millenia of scientific advances leading to where we are today, people look for anything they can possibly do to discredit anything they don't agree with.

I'm not saying we should trust everything that Fauci says. I even agree that it would be nice to have an economist more prominently featured who can bring that view to the discussion. I just don't understand why everyone is going all conspiracy theorist about the guy when he's literally dedicated his life to keeping people healthy.
Well I am not going down any conspiracy path. I don't think it is that at all. I think Fauci sees things from a very narrow perspective is all and at least gives me an impression of overreaction. I don't think it is for any other reason other than that's what he thinks.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:50 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Well, you seem to already know what they are saying differently than Fauci, no? If so, what is it? Something you like better?

Pretty hard for look them up without names.
Try Google....
[Reply]
Donger 10:50 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:

I'm not saying we should trust everything that Fauci says. I even agree that it would be nice to have an economist more prominently featured who can bring that view to the discussion (though note that surveys of economists suggest they think that opening things up is risky as well). I just don't understand why everyone is going all conspiracy theorist about the guy when he's literally dedicated his life to keeping people healthy.
Fauci has been pretty blunt that he's giving his medical expertise and advice, and that he isn't an economist and doesn't give economic advice.
[Reply]
Page 2028 of 3903
« First < 1028152819281978201820242025202620272028 202920302031203220382078212825283028 > Last »
Up