ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 141 of 221
« First < 4191131137138139140141 142143144145151191 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:58 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Fish:
I'll be damned.... it works....

What works?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:07 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
What works?
Take two AA batteries, one you know to be good and one you know to be bad, and drop them from 6-8 inches above a hard surface, and you'll know.

[Reply]
SAUTO 07:40 PM 01-26-2015
God damn BL you fucked this page all to hell
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:42 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
God damn BL you fucked this page all to hell
Not an Ellen Pompeo fan?
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:09 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Not an Ellen Pompeo fan?
The post fucked up how the page looks for me...
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:10 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
The post ****ed up how the page looks for me...
Sounds like a browser issue to me.
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:28 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
Sounds like a browser issue to me.
Sometimes an attachment will fuck up the formatting on my I pad.

That post did.
[Reply]
Fish 09:20 PM 01-28-2015
What would happen if humans just...... disappeared...............

Better things, mostly.................
[Reply]
Fish 09:23 PM 01-28-2015
Human penis.... Hell yeah....

[Reply]
Easy 6 09:30 PM 01-28-2015
African cats on the Great Plains, that'd be cool.

And if we could just be sure that the Chinese are good and dead, its almost a given that most endangered species will make a huge comeback.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:51 PM 01-28-2015

What a weird rhetorical device to bookmark the clip.

Hey, we're not going anywhere, but just supposing, . . . what would happen if we just disappeared.

to

Geez, these aliens would be perplexed, . . . if humans were so awesome, why'd they just disappear.

Uhhhh, . . . because that's the entire premise of your bit?
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:35 PM 01-28-2015

Most of the animals in containment would not escape. Just die.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:13 AM 01-29-2015
That penis vid makes me wonder.. What were sexual relations like in the beginning that led us to this point?

Was it straight up caveman style where dudes were bonking chicks on the head and having their way with them?

Did the men jockey for the female's attention and then approval?

If so, were the women just letting every Tom, Dick and Harry empty their nuts in her snatch like the vid suggests?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:02 AM 01-29-2015
We're DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I LOVE plastic. Since it lasts FOR FUCKING EVER it should become the material of wedding rings!

[Reply]
penguinz 11:42 AM 01-29-2015

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...s-dusty-crust/

Rosetta spacecraft catches pieces as comet sheds its dusty crust

Comet had picked up its dusty shell during four-year mission in deep space

by Xaq Rzetelny - Jan 29 2015, 10:35am CST

Mosaic of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, made from four images taken by the Rosetta spacecraft.
ESA/Rosetta/NAVCAM
The Rosetta spacecraft has been orbiting the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko for the past few months, and in addition to taking stunning photographs and making a historic landing, it's been analyzing the comet with its onboard devices, including COSIMA (COmetary Secondary Ion Mass Analyser). The spacecraft was able to capture grains from the comet’s coma in an aerogel plate. Nonetheless, most of the grains captured this way disintegrated anyway. Although that destroyed the grains, it told us something about the comet's recent history in the process.
Aerogel, nicknamed ‘frozen smoke’, is a very soft gel which replaces the liquid in a traditional gel with gas. Because of its softness, aerogel makes a good medium for capturing fast-moving dust, as it has less chance of destroying the grain than with a hard impact. Although the grains that were captured at relatively low speeds—about 1-10 meters per second—this implied that the grains were structurally weak to not be able to survive the soft impact with the gel.
Enlarge / The grains, collected by COSIMA. Image A) shows the dust particle named 'Eloi' by the researchers, like the post-human creatures in H.G. Wells' novel. Eloi crumbled upon capture. B) shows another particle, named Arvid, which shattered.
ESA/Rosetta/MPS for COSIMA Team MPS/CSNSM/UNIBW/TUORLA/IWF/IAS/ESA/BUW/MPE/LPC2E/LCM/FMI/UTU/LISA/UOFC/vH&S
It also implies that the grains didn’t have a water-ice component. If they did, they wouldn’t shatter in the gel—rather, the watery component would evaporate, leaving only the rocky component to be studied. And if the grain was entirely ice, the whole thing would have evaporated, leaving nothing behind.
The comet therefore has an outer layer of pure dust with no water-ice. The dust is high in sodium and fluffy. (Yes, 'fluffy’ is a scientific term, meaning porous like a sponge). The researchers concluded that the dust originated in a layer of the comet that was built up over the past four years. The comet takes six and a half years to orbit the Sun, and so for the past four years, the comet’s been in the more distant part of its orbit—greater than four astronomical units away from the Sun.
When it gets closer to the Sun, 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko heats up and begins to outgas, producing the comet’s coma (the atmosphere around the body itself) and its tail. This process ejects the outer dusty layer and in the process pushing the lower material, which contains an ice-dust mixture, closer to the surface.
It has been previously suggested that comets might develop such a dusty layer as they spend time far from the Sun before releasing it in the closer part of their orbit. And, on its previous close pass in 2008, this same comet was observed by telescope, shedding the dust layer it had built up. Back then, its dust was entirely lost when the comet was relatively close to the Sun at a little over two and a half astronomical units away. It reached a similar distance earlier this month, and presumably finished losing its outer dusty layer yet again. It will begin building it up again as its orbit shifts and it begins edging further into the Solar System.
The study confirms that the comet’s dust originates from the Solar System’s interplanetary dust. And since the dust is high in sodium, it explains why some comets have been observed to be high in sodium.
Nature, 2015. DOI: 10.1038/nature14159 (About DOIs)

[Reply]
Page 141 of 221
« First < 4191131137138139140141 142143144145151191 > Last »
Up