ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Washington DC and The Holy Land>WFB: Abrams: ‘The Electoral College Is Racist’
Just Passin' By 11:56 AM 11-16-2019
Originally Posted by :
Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams called the Electoral College "racist" during remarks Friday at the National Press Club.

"The Electoral College is racist and classist," Abrams said. "We have to remember the Electoral College was not designed because people were worried about Idaho not having enough votes. We didn't know about Idaho. What we did know was that in the south, the populations in the south had equal or roughly equal populations to the north. However, because black people were not considered human or citizens, they wanted their bodies to count for the purposes of the population count but not their humanity."

The Electoral College was born out of that compromise, Abrams said. She added states in the north didn't want immigrants or those who were poorly educated to have a say in who picked the president either.

"It's racism and classism," she said. "Both of those things should be flung to the far reaches of history and the Electoral College needs to go."...
https://freebeacon.com/politics/abra...mpression=true
[Reply]
Al Czervik 08:50 PM 11-17-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Take some aspirin and a pillow to a dark and quiet place
This
[Reply]
banecat 11:08 PM 11-17-2019
Originally Posted by Jim Hammer:
What the **** are you talking about? "AOC school of thought"? Tear down what system?

I took issue with banecat's usage of "traditional American". There's no such thing.
There's no such thing as Traditional Americans? Who do you think voted Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush, Dole, Bush, McCain, Romney, and Trump? You don't actually think that Wall Street has that many voters?
[Reply]
LongSufferingToady 11:54 PM 11-17-2019
Originally Posted by banecat:
Bush and Trump were the last two and recent most to benefit from not getting the popular vote as we all know. In case anyone hasn't noticed that they get overwhelming support from traditional americans. Traditional americans usually aren't too fond of people who don't act like they do. I steer clear of the sticks as they always think that I'm jew. She's kinda right, but she'll hate it eventually when she's wrong
Yeah, she's kinda right.

Gawd help us if we ever let the popular vote actually elect a President, right?

Why that would be democracy in action! Something the GOP does not want.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 04:20 AM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by LongSufferingToady:
Yeah, she's kinda right.

Gawd help us if we ever let the popular vote actually elect a President, right?

Why that would be democracy in action! Something the GOP does not want.
Well, since we're a republic and democracy is tyranny of the majority...
[Reply]
mylittlepony 06:32 AM 11-18-2019
In Sweden we have a system that doesnt have an electoral college. I think the biggest drawback is that politicians doesnt have to cater to the will of the entire people only the big metropolises. The divide between urban and rural is alot bigger then in the States. From a rural perspective its the people in Stockholm (Washington) that makes up all the rules. Whats the next step, remove the state supremacy to bolster the federal government? I kind of look with envy to the american system that actually has checks and balances from only catering the rural intercity crowd and their problems. I think we got lucky the french rioted agains the fuel taxes or we would have got the same here because people can use public transportation right?
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:48 AM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
We're really should have picked our own cotton.
:-) That is bad
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:59 AM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by mylittlepony:
In Sweden we have a system that doesnt have an electoral college. I think the biggest drawback is that politicians doesnt have to cater to the will of the entire people only the big metropolises. The divide between urban and rural is alot bigger then in the States. From a rural perspective its the people in Stockholm (Washington) that makes up all the rules. Whats the next step, remove the state supremacy to bolster the federal government? I kind of look with envy to the american system that actually has checks and balances from only catering the rural intercity crowd and their problems. I think we got lucky the french rioted agains the fuel taxes or we would have got the same here because people can use public transportation right?
:-) And here it is. Post of the year on 11-18-19
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:38 AM 11-18-2019
Great screen name too.
[Reply]
banecat 12:07 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
Yes. We're a republic. The majority gets their way, but the minority is supposed to be protected. Right now the minority is getting their way, and the majority is getting not much at all. But that's how it's going to go when it's become all about power and money
[Reply]
NinerDoug 12:36 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
The fact that we are a republic and not a true democracy merely means that we have representative government rather than direct government through an assembly made up of the entire electorate.

We are protected from "tyranny of the majority" by our Constitution, and especially therein by the Bill of Rights, not by our representative government.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:30 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
The fact that we are a republic and not a true democracy merely means that we have representative government rather than direct government through an assembly made up of the entire electorate.

We are protected from "tyranny of the majority" by our Constitution, and especially therein by the Bill of Rights, not by our representative government.
Both actually.
[Reply]
banecat 01:39 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Both actually.
Democracy is the process that is used to elect the electors that vote for the POTUS, to vote in gerrymandered house districts, and to cast actually votes that count for the senate. Why the senate has become the most important part of the congress and the feds. Thankfully states and local elections are worth voting in for the most part
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:41 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Both actually.
How does the fact that we have representative government protect us from the tyranny of the majority?
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up