ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 72
« First < 293536373839 4041424349 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Most Teams ‘Not Interested’ in Chiefs’ Eric Bieniemy
Mephistopheles Janx 02:37 AM 12-30-2020
https://heavy.com/sports/kansas-city...5-o3CPAb3Zxeek

Originally Posted by :
On a previous episode of the PFN Weekly show, Allbright mentioned that Eric Bieniemy is “a titleholder who relays the play calls in but doesn’t make the play calls very often.”

“Andy Reid’s doing the play calling. Like 99 percent of the time Andy Reid is doing the play calling, he designed the offense, all of that stuff.”

Allbright has also mentioned that Bieniemy’s previous interviews have been poor. These poor interviews have likely caused him to fall out of consideration for certain positions in the past. Allbright mentioned that some teams with vacancies aren’t all that interested in Bieniemy. These historical poor interviews could be a big reason why.

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:11 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
This.

I have no earthly idea why anyone is hiring defensive head coaches right now.

Your little wrinkles on a 4-3 or 3-4 aren't going to make the difference against the great QB's. Oh, that heavy nickel package! Heavens to Betsey, what shall we do!?

The rules are skewed towards offenses.

You must have elite QB play to really be a contender, or at least a 'good' QB capable of running an elite offense.

These teams are just admitting that they'll not be contenders for the next several years, until they start over again.
I'd say the success of Mcdermott, Rivera, Harbaugh and how key the saints D and last years 49ers D has been crucial to their success says otherwise. And bieniemy isn't getting passed by QB guys. He's getting passed up by tight ends coaches and run offense coordinators like Arthur Smith and Stefanski.

What DCs and run game coordinators bring to the table is discipline. Lots of OCs are creative and excellent technical coaches, but that doesn't mean they can manage men.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:14 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
I just can't get over the fact that Brian Daboll is getting so much attention and is supposedly a shoo in for the Chargers job. This is the first year his offense has been in the top 20 in either yards or points.

I don't even understand the fascination with playcalling. Other than with Reid and Payton, the vast majority of head coaches don't call their own plays. So why is that such a big deal?
Thing is though that people believe Daboll is responsible for the development of Josh Allen while EB had little to do with Mahomes in their eyes. The LAC are hoping he can develop Herbert while many other teams seem to doubt EB as a play caller because of Reid.
[Reply]
joethomas 10:26 AM 01-16-2021
There is a place for defensive minded coaches in today's NFL. It's coaching a defense.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 10:27 AM 01-16-2021
I think the thread title is wrong. I think it is Eric Bieniemy is not interested in most NFL head coaching jobs.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:28 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I'd say the success of Mcdermott, Rivera, Harbaugh and how key the saints D and last years 49ers D has been crucial to their success says otherwise. And bieniemy isn't getting passed by QB guys. He's getting passed up by tight ends coaches and run offense coordinators like Arthur Smith and Stefanski.

What DCs and run game coordinators bring to the table is discipline. Lots of OCs are creative and excellent technical coaches, but that doesn't mean they can manage men.
McDermott I'll give you, but I don't think you can say Allen's development is his doing.

Rivera? less than .500 this year in the NFC Least. And I like Rivera, but that team isn't going anywhere.

Harbaugh was a special teams coach, and while we may disagree-he has the reigning NFL MVP at QB.
[Reply]
joethomas 10:37 AM 01-16-2021
For what it's worth I wouldn't want to go to a burning landfill of an organization like Houston either. Most guys aren't going to get multiple shots at a head coaching job. Maybe if you're an older guy and you figure this is your only chance you take it and cash the checks for a couple of years, but if you're EB you probably want to put yourself in a position to succeed and have a long career as a HC
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 10:53 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Didn't EB say he was not interested in the Texans job a couple of weeks ago?
No, he didn't.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:01 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
McDermott I'll give you, but I don't think you can say Allen's development is his doing.

Rivera? less than .500 this year in the NFC Least. And I like Rivera, but that team isn't going anywhere.

Harbaugh was a special teams coach, and while we may disagree-he has the reigning NFL MVP at QB.
what the NYJ did was brilliant. Package deal a DC with a great OC. The recent track record of non offense has been terrific. Flores, Rivera, judge, Vrabel... On the flip side most passing game coaches have not been great. Nagy, pederson, gase duffed it with a good young QB. Zac taylors been a total dud. Meanwhile Lafleur, Stefanski, Shanahan were brought in primarily because of the blocking scheme.

I suspect that's why you're seeing tight ends coaches and DCs pop up this time around. Teams look like they're way more interested in a system instead of a qb whisperer. More Shanahan and Stefanski, less Adam gase.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:19 AM 01-16-2021
EB is getting the Texans job if he wants it... Only way Watson stays happy, and the fans won't have anything to bitch about. I personally think he will do a good job.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 11:29 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Didn't EB say he was not interested in the Texans job a couple of weeks ago?
Some reporter said on a radio show EB, “Wanted nothing to do with the Texans.” Then Benjamin Albright reported EB was very interested and likely the top candidate, but the Texans never interviewed him. Then Texans started taking shit for not interviewing him, and have requested to interview him.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:35 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
what the NYJ did was brilliant. Package deal a DC with a great OC. The recent track record of non offense has been terrific. Flores, Rivera, judge, Vrabel... On the flip side most passing game coaches have not been great. Nagy, pederson, gase duffed it with a good young QB. Zac taylors been a total dud. Meanwhile Lafleur, Stefanski, Shanahan were brought in primarily because of the blocking scheme.

I suspect that's why you're seeing tight ends coaches and DCs pop up this time around. Teams look like they're way more interested in a system instead of a qb whisperer. More Shanahan and Stefanski, less Adam gase.
Who has ever claimed Adam Gase was a QB whisperer? Nagy hasn't had a losing season and went 12-4 his first season with Chicago with Turdbiscuit as his QB. Pederson before this year had a 38-26 record and a SB. It's not his fault Wentz got hurt and became a turnover machine. I'm not sure why you put Gase and his 1 winning season in the same group with those 2.

How the hell are you gonna say that the recent track record of non offensive coaches has been terrific and then name 3 coaches that have 1 combined winning season between them and a combined 28-36 record since they've been recently hired? Vrabel is the only one of those 4 that's shown any real success.
[Reply]
-King- 11:45 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
It's a QB centered league. If your head coach can maximize your QB it is a HUGE bonus.

Daboll is a great fit for LAC and what Herbert does well. I think it makes tons of sense.
You're assuming that Daboll had a huge part in what Allen is now and not just Allen himself just improving and learning better mechanics from working with Tom House in the off season and his QB coach Jordan Palmer.

This year is a huge anomaly for Daboll in his coaching career and I wouldn't be surprised if it backfires on whoever hires him. I'm actually hoping it is the Chargers who hire him.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:57 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Who has ever claimed Adam Gase was a QB whisperer? Nagy hasn't had a losing season and went 12-4 his first season with Chicago with Turdbiscuit as his QB. Pederson before this year had a 38-26 record and a SB. It's not his fault Wentz got hurt and became a turnover machine. I'm not sure why you put Gase and his 1 winning season in the same group with those 2.

How the hell are you gonna say that the recent track record of non offensive coaches has been terrific and then name 3 coaches that have 1 combined winning season between them and a combined 28-36 record since they've been recently hired? Vrabel is the only one of those 4 that's shown any real success.
Is there anybody who would dispute that Vrabel, Rivera, judge, Flores have done a really good job so far?

Gase, Nagy, pederson were hired because their coaches wanted a qb coach to mentor their young qbs. They didn't do that very well. But doesn't chance why they were hired.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:04 PM 01-16-2021
So in the late spring when I and many others had some free time, I was curious about the coaching backgrounds of current head coaches in the league. How many coached offense, how many coached defense, or how many were just kind of a weird mixture. We had 19 offense guys, 11 defense guys, and 2 weirdos (Harbaugh and Joe Judge, though you could make a case for others, I'm sure).

So what was the background like of the offensive coaches? And what about the offensive coordinators for all NFL teams? What positions did they coach previously? Some had coached just about everything under the sun at some point (like Andy... damn, I think he coached everything on offense except for RBs) and some guys kind of had backgrounds, but it was like as an assistant position coach for just one year. Like, in that last case, did that one year assisting REALLY grant you comparable knowledge and expertise in that area to a position coach who did that for a couple of years?

In the end I got bored with it and decided I wasn't going to glean any useful information from it. As expected, a whole bunch of the offensive coaches were QB guys at least at some point. I was hoping I'd find an anomaly like a strong prevalence of OL experience among coaches. There was some, but yeah... mostly QBs.

Actually, I did find something interesting, though. A lack of represented experience at one position in particular. WR. Yeah. RB coaches or former RB coaches were way more common than WR guys. TE was surprisingly well represented on these guys' resumes. But not WR. I saw few guys in the head coaches or offensive coordinators who had ever coached WRs, and if they did, it was usually one of those one-year positions early in their career that they quickly moved off of to do other stuff like coaching QBs or whatever. So apparently the NFL doesn't value WR coaches. That's kind of weird.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 12:06 PM 01-16-2021
Money says he’s going to Texas.
[Reply]
Page 39 of 72
« First < 293536373839 4041424349 > Last »
Up