ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Heres a good game to watch on Watson
Titty Meat 06:43 PM 04-24-2017
https://youtu.be/4klc-1-Brvc

This one has it all. 3:41 is an awful red zone INT and 10:55 is a horrible pass thats picked off.l will say if hes a noodle arm I dont notice it this game. Shows some zip for the td at 7:25. A few plays before he shows some zip while on the run. This guy is the best QB prospecf in the pocket from ive watched. Unlike Alex Smith he can make throws outside the numbers too.

This is the guy I want. Great fit for this offense go ahead and flame me :-)
[Reply]
chiefscafan 08:25 AM 04-25-2017
You know what I hope NFL GMs are as dumb as you and let Watson fall we won't regret drafting him. He's gonna win championships for us trust me I haven't felt this strong bout a QB since Russel Wilson.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:32 AM 04-25-2017
FWIW they were talking on NFLN about velocity and the one thing that can counteract that deficiency? Quick release.

Watson has got that.
[Reply]
chiefscafan 08:41 AM 04-25-2017
Dan Marino had a quick release too so does Bree's that can overcome the velocity problems trust me we won't regret drafting him.
[Reply]
O.city 09:06 AM 04-25-2017
If we're going in on a qb prospect and asking him to have dree Brees or Marinos release, I feel like we won't be happy.

He does have a quick release and I won't be upset if thy take him, at all.

But with that lack of velocity, he's gonna have to have damn near perfect mechanics, anticipation and release.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:12 AM 04-25-2017
Yeah I wouldnt put Watson in the Brees/Marino category. I would say hes slightly better than Alex Smith.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:16 AM 04-25-2017
Watson reminds me of Marriotta, who was also compared to Alex.

Our offense is intermediate and screen throws so Watson's arm won't have to do much work like it would if he was in an offense like Arizona's.

The guy has a decent arm. It's not weak.
[Reply]
O.city 09:19 AM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay:
Yeah I wouldnt put Watson in the Brees/Marino category. I would say hes slightly better than Alex Smith.
That's the thing, if we can even get an Alex smith clone at like a 4th of the cost, that would help. It's not ideal, but it's better.
[Reply]
O.city 09:20 AM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Watson reminds me of Marriotta, who was also compared to Alex.

Our offense is intermediate and screen throws so Watson's arm won't have to do much work like it would if he was in an offense like Arizona's.

The guy has a decent arm. It's not weak.
It's pretty weak. It's Pennington territory. Put that into the cold and wind in kc in the winter and it's not getting any stronger.
[Reply]
Coogs 09:33 AM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
And 49 mph in front of FO personnel at the combine.
maybe he was concentrating on doing the drills correctly, and throwing the ball so the receivers could catch it. Some of the guys who were firing fastballs were missing their receivers by several yards.
[Reply]
Coogs 09:34 AM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
He threw alot of picks based in his weak arm.

He'd be the only guy since 08 to throw that low and be successful. I'm not about an outlier.
53.5 is not an outlier.

49, yes. But 49 is apparently not his fastball.
[Reply]
O.city 09:47 AM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by Coogs:
53.5 is not an outlier.

49, yes. But 49 is apparently not his fastball.
55 is the baseline mph so yes, 53 is an outlier.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:50 AM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
55 is the baseline mph so yes, 53 is an outlier.
Silva said anything below 50
[Reply]
O.city 09:51 AM 04-25-2017
One guy has been successful since 08, when they started recording mph, throwing under 55. Tyrod at 54.

Guys don't have to have a howitzer, but there has to be a baseline met of arm strength.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:09 AM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay:
http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/c...goryid/2378529
Man, that's a lot less comprehensive than I'd hoped it would be when we were getting all that stuff trickling out on Twitter about it.

They don't talk about Mahomes or Webb for some reason and frankly they don't do much detail work except for the 30 seconds on Kizer.

Surely there's something more out there than that. That was really underwhelming.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:18 AM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
FWIW they were talking on NFLN about velocity and the one thing that can counteract that deficiency? Quick release.

Watson has got that.
.5 hundredths of a second quicker than average.

Five. Hundredths. That's simply not enough to make up for an objectively poor arm.

Remember that he loses about .15 seconds vs. Mahomes on a 20 yard throw (or a roughly 15 yard out from the near hashmarks; forget about throwing to the far hash with sub-standard arm strength).

So he makes up a third of that with his release? So he goes from having a ball that's 4 feet behind Mahomes at the same moment in time to a ball that's 2.5 ft behind; still more than enough for a CB to drive on it and knock it away.

And compared to Webb he'd be about .11 seconds behind so he'd cut it in half. It was about 2.8 ft down to a foot and half or so; still enough for a window to close on a basic 10 yard out.

That arm strength is worrisome as hell and you're whistling past the graveyard if you just ignore it. No, the release is not enough to make up for it; you're relying on him simply having better anticipation than everyone else and I don't know why you would do that. He didn't run a complicated offense and he made more poor decisions/throws than anyone in college football over the past year or two. The guy has red flags everywhere.

BUT HE'S A WINNER!!!!!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up