ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 11
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Terez says "the Chiefs have done plenty of background on" Mahomes.
Direckshun 11:35 AM 03-18-2017
Here's his 1st round mock:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...139261678.html

Watson goes to the Jets. Tribusky to the Browns. Kizer to the Texans.

This is what Terez says about #27:

Originally Posted by :
27. Kansas City Chiefs

QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

The pressure is on Alex Smith to deliver, and while he is indeed their quarterback for 2017, the cap-tight Chiefs could save $17 million by releasing him next year. They could also create some cap room by extending him, but the point is, his future will likely be determined by how he fares this season.

That said, someone like Mahomes — who ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay recently called a cross between Brett Favre and Johnny Manziel — could be tempting to the Chiefs, who have done plenty of background work on him. He’s a gunslinger with a cannon for an arm and plus intangibles, but he’s very raw and will likely need at least a year to get accustomed to the lengthy verbiage in coach Andy Reid’s playbook. Mahomes has never had to call lengthy plays with regularity, and that’s something all quarterbacks have to do in Kansas City. The good news is that Reid is very good at scheming up concepts for his quarterbacks, so they often make predetermined reads, and with Mahomes’ arm and willingness to chuck it deep, he could potentially open up the playbook in a way Chiefs fans haven’t seen consistently.

By the way, one other bonus to selecting a quarterback early — he’ll be very cheap for the next five years. For a team that has been tight against the cap for the last several years, that would be a boon.

Of course, other teams watch tape, too, and there’s a chance none of the top four quarterbacks — Mahomes, Kizer, Trubisky and Watson — will be here, especially if Arizona takes a quarterback at No. 13. And if the top four quarterbacks are off the board, the Chiefs might be best served trading down or taking the best player available and perhaps addressing quarterback in one of the next two rounds with the likes of Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman, Cal’s Davis Webb, Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs or Miami’s Brad Kaaya.

But let’s say they keep the pick. Possible options include a defensive tackle like Florida’s Caleb Brantley or a cornerback like Washington’s Kevin King, Florida’s Quincy Wilson and Southern California’s Adoree’ Jackson (the Chiefs met with the latter two at the combine, by the way).

I also gave some serious thought here to Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey, because the Chiefs could use a dynamic home-run hitting back after the release of Jamaal Charles. McCaffrey was one of the combine’s top testers at his position and offers unique versatility as a runner and receiver. Still, I just can’t pick him to the Chiefs in the first, because — fun tidbit — Reid and Dorsey have never selected a running back in the first round. Not once, even dating back to the Green Bay and Philadelphia days. So if they did take him this high, they’d be bucking their trend.
Who would you take? Who would you take if no QB was on the board?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:41 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Based on the fact that he's not that good and is the 4th or 5th ranked QB in a semi-poor draft class.
It only takes one GM to think he's the best or even a top 3 guy. Just one - and that's how he goes in the 1st.

And somebody will think exactly that. They'll see the arm talent, athleticism and improvisational skills and believe they can fix him. That's the nature of NFL front office guys - ego fuels them to believe they can iron out any kinks.

And I'll tell you this - they can iron out a lot of them.

I think somebody will take a shot at him (and no, he is in no way any worse than the 4th best QB in this class. Tell me you're not putting guys like Peterman and Webb ahead of him).
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:30 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Houston won't let Mahomes slip by them, and that is assuming he makes it that far. If he is sitting there at 24 and we want him, we are going to HAVE to trade up to get him.
You mean the 23rd pick the Raiders own the 24th
[Reply]
Sandy Vagina 02:57 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Backed the guy for 4 years - thought he was good enough to take us where we need to go.

He isn't. It's not a flop - it's simply giving a guy plenty of rope and watching him hang himself.

Smith has been a virtually identical player for his 4 years here and the talent put around him hasn't changed things. When his supporting cast is bad, that's a good team. When his supporting cast is good, he's the governor; the limiting factor that keeps the team from taking the next step.

He's served his purpose and it's time to replace him.
After so many years, there's this little voice that wants to dispute this... but I don't trust that voice anymore. Your 4 year conclusion is fair, and likely on point.

That said, I don't think it's horrible that KC will start him for one more... and it IS time to be developing a day 1 or 2 rookie.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 03:33 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks:
After so many years, there's this little voice that wants to dispute this... but I don't trust that voice anymore. Your 4 year conclusion is fair, and likely on point.

That said, I don't think it's horrible that KC will start him for one more... and it IS time to be developing a day 1 or 2 rookie.

[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:25 PM 03-24-2017
http://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/03/2...trick-mahomes/

Opponent: Louisiana Tech

Improvises well and slides in the pocket to buy himself time
Will carry the ball low-and-loose while doing so (sliding in the pocket)
Throwing motion seems to vary between a 3/4ths and over-the-top delivery
Has some slick and convincing ball fakes
Can fling it effortlessly
Footwork looks sludgy in the pocket at times
Can quickly get going (scramble) to avoid pressure
His game appears to lack attention to detail
Some of his pitches (to running backs) look lazy
Thinks/reacts quickly in the face of a negative play
Threw a BAD pick (that was called back) due to pressure
Mechanics are REALLY inconsistent
Bad touch on a screen pass
Freezes in the face of pressure quite often (three times in this game)
Throws off of his back foot a lot
Doesn’t step into his throws enough
Often doesn’t tuck the ball away when leaving the pocket (on a scramble)
Seems he’s regularly flat-footed in the pocket
Opponent: West Virginia

Ball sailed the result of not stepping into a throw
Threw a horrible pass that almost got picked
Athleticism gets him out of trouble half of the time
FANTASTIC downfield throw despite pressure
Touch on certain kinds of throws just isn’t there
Sells the read-option REALLY well
His offensive line STINKS!
Makes A LOT of plays for leaky pass pro
GREAT arm (TD on 3rd & 29)!
Ball zips when his mechanics are good
Throws outside the numbers take a while to get there
Struggles to throw the fade route
Quick screens are usually thrown high
Makes some WTF throws sometimes when pressured
Throws well on the run
Almost got receiver decapitated on a crosser
Trying to create a play out of nothing often gets him sacked
Love all that I’m seeing in receiver Keke Coutee!
Opponent: Arizona State

Mahomes’ offense bears a resemblance to Reid’s west coast system
Doesn’t always know when to pitch the ball in read-option situations
I like Derrick Willies!
Has trouble resetting his feet when sliding in the pocket
Has trouble sensing pressure coming from his back side
Bad mechanics caused two picks
Opponent: Oklahoma

I LIKE Sadler!
Mahomes should NEVER throw across his body
Did he just throw a pass left-handed?
Touch on deep throws is questionable
Throws lack velocity due to poor mechanics
Makes too manym near-pick throws
Retreats in pocket waaaaaay too much
Keeps his eyes downfield when trying to make a play
Fantastic job of selling read-option
Questionable accuracy on deep balls
Can be baited into picks by a defender
Did I say how much I like Coutee?
Ball placement is suspect
Has tough time putting the ball around the numbers
Can improvise when necessary
DIME to Davis for a TD
I LIKE Giles!
This many throws in the NFL would lead to a ton of turnovers
Mahomes has trouble sliding when he scrambles (doesn’t look smooth)
Has skill players who make a TON of plays for him
Opponent: Baylor

Throws into a group of defenders a bunch
Retreating into the pocket will be a BIG problem at the next level
KEKE COUTEE! Great adjustment on the TD
FANTASTIC TD catch (Dylan Cantrell)
Mahomes has some great weapons who contribute lots of chunk plays
Quan Shorts! TD! Wow!
KEKE COUTEE! (Expletive redacted) He’d be GREAT in Kansas City
Giles BUCKLED a defender with a move in the open field WOOOOOOOOOW
Weapons showed him up in this game!
Intentional grounding was ATROCIOUS
Coutee concentration on a tipped ball!
Threw a dime on a would-be TD to Wesley
Great back-shoulder throw on Cantrell TD
Coutee is a FREAK!
Wesley with TWO end zone drops?
Third Quarter scramble was IMPRESSIVE
Coutee FROZE a man with a move to earn more yards
Touch on fades and corners? YUCK!
Opponent: Kansas

Swing passes are consistently poorly thrown
Cantrell bailed Mahomes out with a magnificent grab in the first quarter
Giles has wheels (first quarter TD)
Cameron Batson’s a playmaker!
WTF INT to Smithson
Giles is FAST!
Pressure just causes Mahomes to panic
Back foot throws are the rule (not the exception)
Derrick Willies made a GREAT catch in traffic to avoid Mahomes’ pass being picked
Batson’s damn good in the open field
Coutee with a ridiculous second quarter TD catch
Slant throws typically high
SICK catch for TD by Willies to end the half
3rd and 9 sack in third quarter was AWFUL! He lost 22 yards!!
Great play on a QB draw!
Opponent: Oklahoma State

Throws to sidelines? WOOF!
Ran into a sack
Cantrell having a day!
Long, wind-up delivery
SICK ball fake on a read-option play
One-handed grab by Cantrell!
Great contested catch by Batson
So many wayward throws
Mahomes line is GAB-BAGE!
Fourth Quarter near pick in the redzone was TURR-IBLE (Charles Barkley voice)
Giles can go with the ball in his hands!
Opponent: Texas Christian

It’s unbelievable how rarely he sets his feet and steps into his throws
Delayed blitzes/stunts/twists cause Mahomes BIG problems
Batson makes plays out of no play
Great throw on the run to Reginald Davis III for a TD
Batson bailed Mahomes out on what would have been a sure interception
Costs receivers yardage with high throws
With time, he can still struggle to find an open receiver or throw one open
Hangs on to the ball TOO LONG TOO MUCH
Overtime scramble for a TD! WOW!
Opponent: Texas

Good catch by Willies with defender draped all over him
Willies is a tough receiver who runs well after the catch
DIME to Giles late in the first quarter
Giles tiptoed the sidelines beautifully on early TD grab
Maybe the best game I’ve watched Mahomes play
Flashes the potential to succeed at the next level in this game
3rd & 15 Houdini escape act (second quarter play)
Keeps cool despite collapsing pocket (third quarter play)
Great throw on a fade route (would-be TD to Cantrell)
Batson tough run after catch for a TD
Like how he keeps his eyes downfield with chaos around him
Willies has the look of an NFL receiver (big guy who can run)
LASER to Cantrell (fourth quarter play)
DIME to Giles for a near TD
GREAT touch to Cantrell on shallow cross
Mahomes has a tell (dips the ball below his waist just before delivering it)
Cantrell having another day!
Tough pick to nullify a great comeback
Opponent: Kansas State

Giles with good move to sidestep defender and get a first down (first quarter play)
GOOD catch by Giles on a high-throw (first quarter play)
DIME to Lauderdale…over-the-shoulder
INCREDIBLE ball fake on the keeper play (TD)
Mahomes throws often get his receivers blown up (recognition issue?)
Play fake, TERRIBLE pick-6 (RECOGNITION?)
Coutee’s so good. Great vision! Great open-field runner! SPEED! TD catch and run!
Second Quarter TD run of 16 yards. SUPERB! (audible WHOA)
Deep throw to Coutee – 45 yards in the air
Coutee climbed a ladder to haul in a tall throw from Mahomes (second quarter play)
Lauderdale is talented. Will be good if he continues to improve.
DUMB sack on 3rd & 11 (third quarter play)
Tough third down conversion by Willies!
Great deep sideline throw to Giles
Tough third down catch-and-run for first down to Giles
Beautiful throw on would-be TD to Cantrell (called back)
Coutee FIGHTS for extra yards!
Cantrell sticks out on tape! Good possession WR with sticky hands! (he’d be great in NE)
STUPID touchdown grab at the back of the end zone by Batson!
Overall, I think the negatives outweigh the positives with Mahomes. His issues with inconsistent mechanics are deeply troubling to me. He’ll need time to adjust his throwing motion, learn to properly set his feet and step into his throws to correct his issues with ball placement. He’s a bit more of project than a Day 1 prospect should be in my estimation.

I think with the right coach, he could eventually become a good football player in the National Football League. As it stands, he has far too many bad habits to warrant the 27th overall pick. Were the Chiefs in rebuild mode, he’d be an excellent draft choice in the middle rounds. They’d be in perfect position to afford him all the developmental time necessary.

Even late in the first round, I think the Chiefs should pursue a more NFL-ready player. There are other quarterbacks, with comparable talent and development needs, that can be had in the third and fourth round. Sadly, the tape did more to expose Mahomes than cement him as the right decision for Kansas City in Round One. He has enough talent that the pick shouldn’t disappoint anyone in the Kingdom, but he also comes with enough question marks to make it the decision imprudent.

I know full well this post could potentially be highly controversial so I encourage you to watch the game film and come to your own conclusions. Of course this still doesn’t answer the question of who I think the Chiefs should draft with the 27th pick, but there is time still for having that conversation. It’s a process (of elimination). I plan to take a look at Deshaun Watson next week.

Would you be willing to take a risk on a player with your top pick simply for the sake of the organization finally drafting another quarterback in the first round? Do you have a different opinion of the same game tape? Is there another quarterback you’d prefer to have in the top round? Use the comment section below to weigh in on the subject. As always, we appreciate your readership and support!
[Reply]
O.city 04:51 PM 03-24-2017
In typical CP fashion, I think we've overrated the fuck out of the QB's. I bet some of the top 4 guys are there in the 2nd round.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:00 PM 03-24-2017
Mahomes will go higher than he probably should off pure talent and Trubisky looks the part of a first round QB.

The rest I can see falling to Friday or later.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:01 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
In typical CP fashion, I think we've overrated the **** out of the QB's. I bet some of the top 4 guys are there in the 2nd round.
Absolutely this.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:52 PM 03-24-2017
In typical CP fashion, I think we've overrated the **** out of the QB's. I bet some of the top 4 guys are there in the 2nd round.
Rodgers fell to 24
Derek Carr was a 2nd rd pick
Jamaal Charles was a 3rd rd pick

There's a lot of dumb fucks running teams in the NFL, but fortunately we aren't one of those teams anymore.

I trust John Dorsey. If he picks one early he should have the benefit of the doubt.
[Reply]
Sandy Vagina 08:58 PM 03-24-2017
JFC.. Derek Carr is mentioned in the likes of Jamaal Charles and Aaron Rodgers.

:-)
[Reply]
BossChief 11:52 PM 03-24-2017
It's very possible.

All of these guys have warts...but the nice thing about the Chiefs situation is that a young QB wouldn't need to play right away.

He would have time to get ready to play and would step into a situation with a solid OL, great weapons on offense to pair with a defense/STs that not only limit opposing teams from scoring much, they score quite a bit themselves and set the kid up with great field position.

It's really an ideal situation for a QB and that 5th year option is HUGE.

Last years 27th overall pick only got a 4 year deal for 9.4m total...sure would be nice to upgrade at QB while also saving money.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:22 AM 03-25-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Rodgers fell to 24
Derek Carr was a 2nd rd pick
Jamaal Charles was a 3rd rd pick

There's a lot of dumb ****s running teams in the NFL, but fortunately we aren't one of those teams anymore.

I trust John Dorsey. If he picks one early he should have the benefit of the doubt.
Tyreek Hill fell to Rd 5 . He's 1st rd talent so there are obviously 32 dumbfuck teams.
[Reply]
TRR 07:57 AM 03-25-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Tyreek Hill fell to Rd 5 . He's 1st rd talent so there are obviously 32 dumb**** teams.
There is only one reason why Tyreek fell to the 5th round.

Analysts are down on this QB class because there isn't a player in the draft that is ready to start day one. Analysts want instant gratification in which to prove they were right or wrong about a prospect. KC is in a different place. Whether they were to pick Trubisky, Kizer, Watson or Mahomes; none of them will play in 2017. May not even play in 2018...that's what makes this QB draft class interesting (I may even say adventagious) for the Chiefs, and very bad for others.
[Reply]
Coogs 10:06 AM 03-25-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So who do his yards come at the expense of?

Because 'Even Steven' under center is incapable of producing MORE yards or points, he just produces them differently regardless of the weapons we have. So if you bring in McCaffrey, his yardage will just come at the expense of Ware, Kelce, Hill, Maclin and Conley. It will not come in addition to their yards.

Alex Smith is incapable of being more productive than average regardless of the weapons you give him. Surround him with HoFers and he's throwing for 3800 yards and running for 200 more while being responsible for somewhere between 18 and 23 TDs.

Give him utter tripe and he's throwing for 3300 yards while running for 400 more and being responsible for somwhere between 17 and 22 total TDs.

Stop bothering. Stop getting him linemen. Stop getting him receivers or running backs. Stop using capital to try to improve his situation because it just doesn't goddamn matter - he is going to throw for 220-230 YPG and run for another 20ish. And if the passing yards go up, the rushing yards will come down. You're looking at 230-240 yards per game in total offense from Alex Smith regardless of who you give him.

So burning another 1st round pick on him would be goddamn retarded because in the end, all it's going to do is change the 'how' on the yardage and points, it ain't gonna change the 'how much'. And it won't change the 'when' - which is to say that when we need him most, he'll turtle and dump it off while your shiny first round draft pick is running uncovered down the center of the field.

He's the absolute pinnacle of mediocrity. I've never seen anything like it.
This. :-)
[Reply]
Coogs 10:11 AM 03-25-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
:-)

I'll suffer through another year of Smith if there's a rookie behind him that's getting groomed. And not some bullshit 5th round pick either.
And this. :-)

Identify the QB for the Chiefs long term, and go get him. Reid may not be here for the full length of that QB, as he has been here 4 years, and isn't getting any younger. So what if the QB doesn't exactly fit Reid's offense. It's Dorsey's job to look for the long term answer instead of the short term.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 11
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up