ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Terez says "the Chiefs have done plenty of background on" Mahomes.
Direckshun 11:35 AM 03-18-2017
Here's his 1st round mock:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...139261678.html

Watson goes to the Jets. Tribusky to the Browns. Kizer to the Texans.

This is what Terez says about #27:

Originally Posted by :
27. Kansas City Chiefs

QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

The pressure is on Alex Smith to deliver, and while he is indeed their quarterback for 2017, the cap-tight Chiefs could save $17 million by releasing him next year. They could also create some cap room by extending him, but the point is, his future will likely be determined by how he fares this season.

That said, someone like Mahomes — who ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay recently called a cross between Brett Favre and Johnny Manziel — could be tempting to the Chiefs, who have done plenty of background work on him. He’s a gunslinger with a cannon for an arm and plus intangibles, but he’s very raw and will likely need at least a year to get accustomed to the lengthy verbiage in coach Andy Reid’s playbook. Mahomes has never had to call lengthy plays with regularity, and that’s something all quarterbacks have to do in Kansas City. The good news is that Reid is very good at scheming up concepts for his quarterbacks, so they often make predetermined reads, and with Mahomes’ arm and willingness to chuck it deep, he could potentially open up the playbook in a way Chiefs fans haven’t seen consistently.

By the way, one other bonus to selecting a quarterback early — he’ll be very cheap for the next five years. For a team that has been tight against the cap for the last several years, that would be a boon.

Of course, other teams watch tape, too, and there’s a chance none of the top four quarterbacks — Mahomes, Kizer, Trubisky and Watson — will be here, especially if Arizona takes a quarterback at No. 13. And if the top four quarterbacks are off the board, the Chiefs might be best served trading down or taking the best player available and perhaps addressing quarterback in one of the next two rounds with the likes of Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman, Cal’s Davis Webb, Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs or Miami’s Brad Kaaya.

But let’s say they keep the pick. Possible options include a defensive tackle like Florida’s Caleb Brantley or a cornerback like Washington’s Kevin King, Florida’s Quincy Wilson and Southern California’s Adoree’ Jackson (the Chiefs met with the latter two at the combine, by the way).

I also gave some serious thought here to Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey, because the Chiefs could use a dynamic home-run hitting back after the release of Jamaal Charles. McCaffrey was one of the combine’s top testers at his position and offers unique versatility as a runner and receiver. Still, I just can’t pick him to the Chiefs in the first, because — fun tidbit — Reid and Dorsey have never selected a running back in the first round. Not once, even dating back to the Green Bay and Philadelphia days. So if they did take him this high, they’d be bucking their trend.
Who would you take? Who would you take if no QB was on the board?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:13 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay:
Not only did they get Jones they got a starting guard and DJ White who I still think could be good. Totally worth it.
The draft is non-linear and they had a massive hole at G. Who's to say they wouldn't have just taken Ehinger with the pick they used on Russell? They traded that year for a 4th round pick. The value of 4th round picks in this league is pretty damn nominal.

And DJ White is a complete JAG until proven otherwise.
[Reply]
ILChief 07:20 PM 03-21-2017
If the top 4 QB's are gone when we pick, take the 5th one. If the top 5 are gone, take the 6th one
[Reply]
Mr. Laz 09:57 AM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by ILChief:
If the top 4 QB's are gone when we pick, take the 5th one. If the top 5 are gone, take the 6th one
So draft a QB no matter what, it doesn't matter if they are any good?

:-)
[Reply]
raybec 4 10:07 AM 03-23-2017
Nope
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:42 AM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Nope
At least one more word than the idea merited.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:11 PM 03-23-2017
That's dumb.

I'm a guy that would spend a first rounder on a QB every third year till one hit...but if I don't believe in any of the guys that are on the board when I'm picking, I'm not picking one just to pick one.

I have to see a plan in place for how his specific mental and physical skillet can translate to the NFL in KCs specific situation. And not just translate to the NFL...I have to think "if this guy hits his ceiling, can I win superbowls with him?"

Superbowls.

Will any of his specific mental or physical limitations limit my teams chances of winning a Lombardi trophy?

How long will it take for him to learn enough to become the teams starter...best and worst case scenario?

How advanced is he at reading defenses presnap?
How well does he already know NFL personnel?
How long will it take him to learn how to call the really wordy playcalls for Andy Reid's offense?
How fast does he identify coverages?
How fast does he come off his first read?
How often does he throw it past 20 yards downfield?...is he successfull at it, generally?
Is he smart enough to dump it off instead of taking really big risks, but also forcing defenses to play honest because he attacks every zone of the field?
Does he has a compact/quick release?
Has he had to go through progressions and if yes, what kind? Were they high to low? Low to high? Work from left to right and vice versa?
What kind of route combinations is he comfortable with?
How is he on third down? Does he step up and lead, or go into a shell and play predictably safe football?
Do his teammates love him? When he gets to the sideline after a scoring drive, do his teammates greet him with enthusiasm, or does he walk to the sidelines by himself and sit alone?
In situations when his team really needed him to make a play, did he generally rise to the occasion and deliver, or does he let you down in those situations?
Does he extend plays with his legs and complete big pass plays after buying extra time for teammates to get open?
Does he fight for first downs?
Do his teammates give everything they have for him?

I mean, I'm just a guy on the couch and I try to look for as much info as I can.

I can only imagine what kind of stuff Dorsey digs up.
[Reply]
MotherfuckerJones 04:46 AM 03-24-2017
If the top 4 QBs are gone, I'm looking at McCaffrey RB or Watt LB. Trade down is also an option.
[Reply]
YayMike 06:00 AM 03-24-2017
If the top 4 QBs are gone, I want either Dalvin Cooks, McCaffrey, or trade down.
[Reply]
RealSNR 06:02 AM 03-24-2017
If we take McCaffery in the 1st, I'm going to violently puke and blow diarrhea at the same time.

That is a nightmare scenario for me
[Reply]
YayMike 06:07 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
If we take McCaffery in the 1st, I'm going to violently puke and blow diarrhea at the same time.

That is a nightmare scenario for me
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I imagine in Mahommes is anywhere close to the late teens, we will trade up for him or whomever we want.

Secondly, I think that McCaffery will be gone before we pick.

Are you against Cook as a selection, or just RBs in general in the first?
[Reply]
RealSNR 06:11 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by YayMike:
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I imagine in Mahommes is anywhere close to the late teens, we will trade up for him or whomever we want.

Secondly, I think that McCaffery will be gone before we pick.

Are you against Cook as a selection, or just RBs in general in the first?
RBs in general. We're in a deep draft for RBs. We can get a starter fucking anywhere.

But McCaffery especially. We have so many gadget fuckers that operate out of the short passing game. Ware is a fantastic pass-catching RB. And we line up Hill in the backfield all the time.
[Reply]
YayMike 06:14 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
RBs in general. We're in a deep draft for RBs. We can get a starter ****ing anywhere.

But McCaffery especially. We have so many gadget ****ers that operate out of the short passing game. Ware is a fantastic pass-catching RB. And we line up Hill in the backfield all the time.
Gotcha. I think Cook is a game changer though. Not disputing we don't have bigger needs in the first, but I think he could really make an immediate impact if our strategy is Best Player Available.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:52 AM 03-24-2017
Houston won't let Mahomes slip by them, and that is assuming he makes it that far. If he is sitting there at 24 and we want him, we are going to HAVE to trade up to get him.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 08:18 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Houston won't let Mahomes slip by them, and that is assuming he makes it that far. If he is sitting there at 24 and we want him, we are going to HAVE to trade up to get him.
Swap with the Titans and get pick 18, draft best QB available, sell millions of jerseys, insane profit.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:01 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Then we take Kizer.

I don't think they'll both be gone by our pick. And frankly, I think O'Brien would prefer Kizer to Mahomes but that's just my impression.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up