ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Terez says "the Chiefs have done plenty of background on" Mahomes.
Direckshun 11:35 AM 03-18-2017
Here's his 1st round mock:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...139261678.html

Watson goes to the Jets. Tribusky to the Browns. Kizer to the Texans.

This is what Terez says about #27:

Originally Posted by :
27. Kansas City Chiefs

QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

The pressure is on Alex Smith to deliver, and while he is indeed their quarterback for 2017, the cap-tight Chiefs could save $17 million by releasing him next year. They could also create some cap room by extending him, but the point is, his future will likely be determined by how he fares this season.

That said, someone like Mahomes — who ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay recently called a cross between Brett Favre and Johnny Manziel — could be tempting to the Chiefs, who have done plenty of background work on him. He’s a gunslinger with a cannon for an arm and plus intangibles, but he’s very raw and will likely need at least a year to get accustomed to the lengthy verbiage in coach Andy Reid’s playbook. Mahomes has never had to call lengthy plays with regularity, and that’s something all quarterbacks have to do in Kansas City. The good news is that Reid is very good at scheming up concepts for his quarterbacks, so they often make predetermined reads, and with Mahomes’ arm and willingness to chuck it deep, he could potentially open up the playbook in a way Chiefs fans haven’t seen consistently.

By the way, one other bonus to selecting a quarterback early — he’ll be very cheap for the next five years. For a team that has been tight against the cap for the last several years, that would be a boon.

Of course, other teams watch tape, too, and there’s a chance none of the top four quarterbacks — Mahomes, Kizer, Trubisky and Watson — will be here, especially if Arizona takes a quarterback at No. 13. And if the top four quarterbacks are off the board, the Chiefs might be best served trading down or taking the best player available and perhaps addressing quarterback in one of the next two rounds with the likes of Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman, Cal’s Davis Webb, Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs or Miami’s Brad Kaaya.

But let’s say they keep the pick. Possible options include a defensive tackle like Florida’s Caleb Brantley or a cornerback like Washington’s Kevin King, Florida’s Quincy Wilson and Southern California’s Adoree’ Jackson (the Chiefs met with the latter two at the combine, by the way).

I also gave some serious thought here to Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey, because the Chiefs could use a dynamic home-run hitting back after the release of Jamaal Charles. McCaffrey was one of the combine’s top testers at his position and offers unique versatility as a runner and receiver. Still, I just can’t pick him to the Chiefs in the first, because — fun tidbit — Reid and Dorsey have never selected a running back in the first round. Not once, even dating back to the Green Bay and Philadelphia days. So if they did take him this high, they’d be bucking their trend.
Who would you take? Who would you take if no QB was on the board?
[Reply]
-King- 06:41 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It makes me sad that Doug Pederson did this right off the bat as a HC and we won't get rid of Alex.

And it fucking worked beautifully. They got rid of Bradford and got a 1st rd pick this year.

Just once I want us to get one of these guys.
You think they planned that? It was just pure luck that Bridgewater broke his leg and Vikings were stupid enough to give up a 1st for Bradford.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
-King- 06:42 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
You're going to go in on a strategy that involves us missing the playoffs to get draft position? The odds are significantly in our favor to make the playoffs next year.

It's one thing to sacrifice the future to get something now. If the Chiefs want to use 2019 and 2020 picks to get more in 2018, fine by me, but it's pretty foolish to trade CURRENT first round picks for picks next year.

"We wouldn't have to move very far to get a QB." You know who else is thinking that? EVERY SINGLE OTHER TEAM. If the QB class is as bad as you say it is this year, we could see Cleveland, San Diego, New Orleans, Buffalo, Minnesota, and other teams who figure to be terrible try to grab QBs. We could see 4 QBs go before we even get a chance to trade up just to sniff one.

And you still haven't addressed my point about 2012. What do we do when the top 3 guys go and we're left with a couple guys with 1st round grades but just aren't "our" guys like Tannehill or Weeden? That kind of draft hole happens far more often than you think.

If Andy Reid likes Mahomes, then take him NOW. Let him sit for 1-2 years. I'd rather take my shot on that than bank on making a Redskins-like trade on a QB class we still know fucking nothing about.
So you're okay with keeping Alex last 2018 if we draft Mahomes?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:52 PM 03-19-2017
You're going to go in on a strategy that involves us missing the playoffs to get draft position? The odds are significantly in our favor to make the playoffs next year.

It's one thing to sacrifice the future to get something now. If the Chiefs want to use 2019 and 2020 picks to get more in 2018, fine by me, but it's pretty foolish to trade CURRENT first round picks for picks next year.

"We wouldn't have to move very far to get a QB." You know who else is thinking that? EVERY SINGLE OTHER TEAM. If the QB class is as bad as you say it is this year, we could see Cleveland, San Diego, New Orleans, Buffalo, Minnesota, and other teams who figure to be terrible try to grab QBs. We could see 4 QBs go before we even get a chance to trade up just to sniff one.

And you still haven't addressed my point about 2012. What do we do when the top 3 guys go and we're left with a couple guys with 1st round grades but just aren't "our" guys like Tannehill or Weeden? That kind of draft hole happens far more often than you think.

If Andy Reid likes Mahomes, then take him NOW. Let him sit for 1-2 years. I'd rather take my shot on that than bank on making a Redskins-like trade on a QB class we still know fucking nothing about.
Yes if they like Mahomes great but if not or if he is gone. Make a move instead of trading back to gain more picks like last year.
I understand it is risky and is thinking outside the box but we cant just set back and hope for one to fall to us. I would like to see is be aggreasive and act like the position is more important than they have.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
[Reply]
O.city 07:04 PM 03-19-2017
That 5th year option is a big deal. If they like someone at 27, take them their. That option is worth more than another oick
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:14 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by -King-:
So you're okay with keeping Alex last 2018 if we draft Mahomes?
Posted via Mobile Device
Of course. I, unlike most fans, will be extremely patient with our new rookie.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:03 PM 03-19-2017
Mother **** that!!!!!!!!!

Take the $17M saved from cutting that bitch ass and throw it at Drew Brees for a couple years.

Oh who am I kidding? Brees isn't a backup. Doubt the Chiefs even know he'll be available.
[Reply]
BossChief 08:18 PM 03-19-2017
For real...but you know what's gonna happen?

Lots of "Alex wouldn't have thrown that pick" ...and "Alex would have run for a first down there" and "he was lucky that deep ball was t intercepted and went for a TD"

I bet there will be about 20 of us that show patience with the kid through his mistakes and whatnot.

My rule for our new QB:

1st year starting...ignore mistakes and point out minute things the kid does well and try to see the little improvements in the kid. Look for mistakes to not be repeated in the same situations.

2nd year...by midseason he should be showing his true potential, but early in the year, the kid gets a pass for 2-3 bad games. That's an extremely tough time for young QBs. Every team they face has done tons of research on what you do well and what you're uncomfortable with and uses it against you. Growing pains are to be expected.

3rd year...Big numbers are to be expected over the last 8 games of the season and into the playoffs, as that's truly when you see a franchise QB make his mark. I want to see the kid play with poise and make decisions quickly and deliver the ball with accuracy and touch. Take advantage of opportunities for big plays and play well under pressure. I don't want to see an ounce of fear...I want to see a guy inspire his team both on the field and off.

Honestly, I see Mahomes as the guy that can do all of that.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:04 PM 03-19-2017
Originally Posted by BossChief:
For real...but you know what's gonna happen?

Lots of "Alex wouldn't have thrown that pick" ...and "Alex would have run for a first down there" and "he was lucky that deep ball was t intercepted and went for a TD"

I bet there will be about 20 of us that show patience with the kid through his mistakes and whatnot.

My rule for our new QB:

1st year starting...ignore mistakes and point out minute things the kid does well and try to see the little improvements in the kid. Look for mistakes to not be repeated in the same situations.

2nd year...by midseason he should be showing his true potential, but early in the year, the kid gets a pass for 2-3 bad games. That's an extremely tough time for young QBs. Every team they face has done tons of research on what you do well and what you're uncomfortable with and uses it against you. Growing pains are to be expected.

3rd year...Big numbers are to be expected over the last 8 games of the season and into the playoffs, as that's truly when you see a franchise QB make his mark. I want to see the kid play with poise and make decisions quickly and deliver the ball with accuracy and touch. Take advantage of opportunities for big plays and play well under pressure. I don't want to see an ounce of fear...I want to see a guy inspire his team both on the field and off.

Honestly, I see Mahomes as the guy that can do all of that.
I'm counting on it.

These assholes come across as, "I want what's best for the team! It's classless to root against the QB!" and I can just see them stick to their guns to the point that it causes them to turn into hypocrites. They'll reassert that they were right to cheer for the shitty veterans we traded for because the rookie we drafted isn't doing well.

We won't see it very much on this board. I genuinely think people are going to give the guy a lot of leash on here except for a few whackos like Tiger. But we'll see it on places like Clay's RedTribe facebook page or on ChiefsCoalition. Just like you said. "I miss Alex Smith! The guy knew how to win games! Protecting the ball is a vastly underrated skill!"

What's even worse, though, is the crazies are going to seek retribution for stupid shit. Some guy who got told he was stupid during the Geno stuff is going to shit and laugh at Mahomes in his struggles. Threebag will be an insufferable cunt.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 10:01 PM 03-20-2017
1. Watt
2. Webb

Win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:21 AM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by BossChief:
No question I'd do that, but I'd rather try to get a second back this year by giving up this years first and fourth for next years first and a second this year.

Maybe throw in Allen Bailey as a sweetener.
This isn't Madden :-) THROW IN A GUY TO RAISE THE INTEREST BAR BRUH!!
[Reply]
raybec 4 09:40 AM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
1. Watt
2. Webb

Win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This actually sounds good, but your undying love for Tyler Bray makes me a skeptic
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:40 AM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
That 5th year option is a big deal. If they like someone at 27, take them their. That option is worth more than another oick
I'm looking forward to having this conversation with people in 3 years when they point out how pissed off I was over the trade-down that yielded Jones. "THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE HIM IN THE FIRST AND THEY GOT A FREE PICK INSTEAD!!!!"

Free don't exist in the NFL. They traded a year of cost control for a 4th rounder. That's gonna be a big time oops in the very near future.

You absolutely, positively, do not EVER trade out of the 1st unless you're getting at least an additional 2nd in return and don't have to move down more than 10-15 spots for the privilege of doing so. It's a poor decision in the long-run.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:07 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm looking forward to having this conversation with people in 3 years when they point out how pissed off I was over the trade-down that yielded Jones. "THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE HIM IN THE FIRST AND THEY GOT A FREE PICK INSTEAD!!!!"

Free don't exist in the NFL. They traded a year of cost control for a 4th rounder. That's gonna be a big time oops in the very near future.

You absolutely, positively, do not EVER trade out of the 1st unless you're getting at least an additional 2nd in return and don't have to move down more than 10-15 spots for the privilege of doing so. It's a poor decision in the long-run.
Not only did they get Jones they got a starting guard and DJ White who I still think could be good. Totally worth it.
[Reply]
ct 12:25 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay:
Not only did they get Jones they got a starting guard and DJ White who I still think could be good. Totally worth it.
28 1-28 Chiefs/49ers

Traded • 2016 second round pick (#37-Chris Jones) • 2016 fourth round pick (#105-Parker Ehinger) • 2016 sixth round pick (#178-D.J. White) to Chiefs for • 2016 first round pick (#28-Joshua Garnett) • 2016 seventh round pick (#249-Prince Charles Iworah) on 2016-04-28

already looks like a terrific trade. keep the 5th year option, i'll take the extra two potential starters.
[Reply]
raybec 4 01:13 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by ct:
28 1-28 Chiefs/49ers

Traded • 2016 second round pick (#37-Chris Jones) • 2016 fourth round pick (#105-Parker Ehinger) • 2016 sixth round pick (#178-D.J. White) to Chiefs for • 2016 first round pick (#28-Joshua Garnett) • 2016 seventh round pick (#249-Prince Charles Iworah) on 2016-04-28

already looks like a terrific trade. keep the 5th year option, i'll take the extra two potential starters.
Fuck that shit, we should've stayed in the first and drafted Prince Charles Iworah.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up