ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 11
« First < 678910 11 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Terez says "the Chiefs have done plenty of background on" Mahomes.
Direckshun 11:35 AM 03-18-2017
Here's his 1st round mock:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...139261678.html

Watson goes to the Jets. Tribusky to the Browns. Kizer to the Texans.

This is what Terez says about #27:

Originally Posted by :
27. Kansas City Chiefs

QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

The pressure is on Alex Smith to deliver, and while he is indeed their quarterback for 2017, the cap-tight Chiefs could save $17 million by releasing him next year. They could also create some cap room by extending him, but the point is, his future will likely be determined by how he fares this season.

That said, someone like Mahomes — who ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay recently called a cross between Brett Favre and Johnny Manziel — could be tempting to the Chiefs, who have done plenty of background work on him. He’s a gunslinger with a cannon for an arm and plus intangibles, but he’s very raw and will likely need at least a year to get accustomed to the lengthy verbiage in coach Andy Reid’s playbook. Mahomes has never had to call lengthy plays with regularity, and that’s something all quarterbacks have to do in Kansas City. The good news is that Reid is very good at scheming up concepts for his quarterbacks, so they often make predetermined reads, and with Mahomes’ arm and willingness to chuck it deep, he could potentially open up the playbook in a way Chiefs fans haven’t seen consistently.

By the way, one other bonus to selecting a quarterback early — he’ll be very cheap for the next five years. For a team that has been tight against the cap for the last several years, that would be a boon.

Of course, other teams watch tape, too, and there’s a chance none of the top four quarterbacks — Mahomes, Kizer, Trubisky and Watson — will be here, especially if Arizona takes a quarterback at No. 13. And if the top four quarterbacks are off the board, the Chiefs might be best served trading down or taking the best player available and perhaps addressing quarterback in one of the next two rounds with the likes of Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman, Cal’s Davis Webb, Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs or Miami’s Brad Kaaya.

But let’s say they keep the pick. Possible options include a defensive tackle like Florida’s Caleb Brantley or a cornerback like Washington’s Kevin King, Florida’s Quincy Wilson and Southern California’s Adoree’ Jackson (the Chiefs met with the latter two at the combine, by the way).

I also gave some serious thought here to Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey, because the Chiefs could use a dynamic home-run hitting back after the release of Jamaal Charles. McCaffrey was one of the combine’s top testers at his position and offers unique versatility as a runner and receiver. Still, I just can’t pick him to the Chiefs in the first, because — fun tidbit — Reid and Dorsey have never selected a running back in the first round. Not once, even dating back to the Green Bay and Philadelphia days. So if they did take him this high, they’d be bucking their trend.
Who would you take? Who would you take if no QB was on the board?
[Reply]
chiefscafan 07:18 AM 04-03-2017
RealSNR

Couldn't agree with you more if they try to sell me on Webb, Dobson, Petterman or Kaya I think I'm gonna throw up. Welcome to Hogan, Muarry, Elkins, Blundin, etc all over again.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:22 AM 04-03-2017
Holy shit.

They just showed a throw from his proday...

Mahomes threw it 80 yards and dropped it right into the hands of his WR in the endzone.

Lots of reports that his proday was very very good
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:25 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Holy shit.

They just showed a throw from his proday...

Mahomes threw it 80 yards and dropped it right into the hands of his WR in the endzone.

Lots of reports that his proday was very very good
Post #117
[Reply]
Dayze 09:43 AM 04-03-2017
yeah, but how is his 5 yard outlet pass from his own 30 with 00:08 seconds to go in the 4th down by 4?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:14 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/stat...45972340334594

Well, he may be JaMarcus but 80 yards in air is impressive whoever is doing it. Not sure it means much but it would atleast make hail Mary's interesting

http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red-...tech-s-pro-day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:50 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by chiefscafan:
RealSNR

Couldn't agree with you more if they try to sell me on Webb, Dobson, Petterman or Kaya I think I'm gonna throw up. Welcome to Hogan, Muarry, Elkins, Blundin, etc all over again.
Peterman in the 4th as a cheap backup option w/ the ability to keep our heads above water would be okay. Kaaya in the 5th would be as well. Both of those guys are just steady, dependable, but perhaps limited players that would serve well as backups with the upside of slightly below average game managers.

Look at how much money we've invested into QB2 over the last 4 years and tell me that's not important.

That said, it ain't a long-term plan for QBOTF. And if they can get someone like Peterman or Kaaya late, I'd be okay with that. If they take someone like that with a day 2 pick, OTOH, I'll have kittens because it means that they are investing heavily into a very mediocre player that they think will be good enough.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:54 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
they are investing heavily into a very mediocre player that they think will be good enough.
You mean like they've already done with Smith?
[Reply]
staylor26 12:02 PM 04-03-2017
I still think Kaaya is being underrated in terms of upside. The guy is only 21 years old, and played behind some god awful Olines.
[Reply]
rico 12:07 PM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by Dayze:
yeah, but how is his 5 yard outlet pass from his own 30 with 00:08 seconds to go in the 4th down by 4?
:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 07:08 PM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I still think Kaaya is being underrated in terms of upside. The guy is only 21 years old, and played behind some god awful Olines.
^^ ---- Homer.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:12 PM 04-03-2017
^^ ---- Homer.
Lol I have absolutely no reason for loyalty to him anymore. I couldn't care less about him being a Hurricane now.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:37 PM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Isn't he some kind of meat head?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:38 PM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Isn't he some kind of meat head?
Racist.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:41 PM 04-04-2017
Racist.
I will fully admit to being racist towards white RBs and safeties.

Oh, and black kickers. Justin Medlock doomed his race for me a long time ago. Fuck those guys.
[Reply]
buddha 03:43 PM 04-04-2017
Then we take Kizer.

I don't think they'll both be gone by our pick. And frankly, I think O'Brien would prefer Kizer to Mahomes but that's just my impression.
Andy Reid likes smart/accurate QBs above all. Kizer and Mahomes are physical freaks, but neither is "accurate" in the way KC's offense requires. I know the combine isn't a true test for QB skills, but Kizer couldn't hit anybody in stride. Mahomes has a GREAT arm, but he is going to need a lot of work.

I think the only QB that really makes sense for KC's scheme is Watson (and he's not Mr. Accuracy either...but better than others). Yes...we would have to move up to get him, but he's a proven winner and he's stays composed under pressure.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 11
« First < 678910 11 >
Up