ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Apple Question
CaliforniaChief 10:05 PM 04-26-2017
So on Sunday someone walked into my office area and stole my laptop. It has sucked in terms of guarding personal information, cancelling cards, accounts, etc and trying to continue to produce things on an iPad while I wait for insurance to clear. So today I got the verdict: $1,000 plus a $500 deductible which work will add to. So if you had $1,500 (I could add $100 to cover taxes), what Apple would you get? (Yes, I'm Apple only for work compatibility and preference)

Would you do a refurb to get a nicer machine? MacBook Pro? MacBook? Air?

Any feedback is appreciated.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:12 PM 04-26-2017
Only apple I have is this phone but I do have a Microsoft Surface. Their equivalent to that (I think it is iPad Pro) would be my choice. Just make sure to get a docking station and peripherals. When I upgraded my laptop I bought a laptop and the surface for fieldwork. Turns out all I needed was the Surface.

My laptop has a USB type C for the docking station and the Surface has a USB 3.0 docking station. Type C is marginally better but I wouldn't make any buying decisions on that. They're both fine.

Sorry for the theft man. Bitches suck.

PS. Did you PM midnight_vulture? He may have it.
[Reply]
Fish 09:54 AM 04-27-2017
I have a great deal of experience in this area. I'd recommend going here: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Purchase the Applecare warranty. It's a good deal, and covers any issue you might have for 3 years. But also know that since Apple's hardware is proprietary other than HD, a refurb gets new parts put in. Not 3rd party replacements because there are none.

I'm a big fan of the Macbook Pro retina models. I have both the 13" and 15". I prefer the 13" for portability most of the time. But that's preference.

The 5K iMacs are a really amazing picture. When I first got my 5K, and sat around for hours just watching 4K Youtube videos.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.
[Reply]
Fish 09:59 AM 04-27-2017
The newest Macbook Pros with Touchbar and USB-C are very nice machines. The keyboard is the best I've seen on a laptop. It has a clicky mechanical feel. But unfortunately, the battery life sucks pretty hard. And the USB-C dongles were impossible to order for the first 2 months after the Macbook Pros were released. That was fun to tell my customers. "Here's your new laptop, sorry your dongles won't arrive for another month or two. The only ports are USB-C and 1/8 headphone jack."
[Reply]
Bewbies 10:00 AM 04-27-2017
I have a Macbook Pro 13" retina and love it. My wife has a 15" and I hate it. Way too big. /that's what she said
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 09:51 AM 04-28-2017
Thanks so much.

I'm still waiting on authorization from the board. I found a great deal on MacMall on a 13 inch pro but the deal is gone now.

I could have gotten an external DVD rw, LoJack for the laptop, shipping and taxed for 1570. Still waiting on them.
[Reply]
Up