ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The FG and fake punt are not as bad as some think
dlphg9 11:01 AM 01-14-2020
I know a bunch of people wanna act like B.O.B. was the only reason why the Texans lost that game and want to bring up kicking the FG or the fake punt. Kicking the FG wasn't as egregious as some are making it out to be. Sure technically it was a 3 possession game, but in reality when the game is that early, it's a 4 possession game because the Chiefs are going to kick the XP.

We have seen this D stuff 3rd/4th and 1's several times this year and even though we were down by 21 at that point they werent playing bad and on this particular drive they had stuffed Hyde a few times for 2 or less yards already. It's not like going down by 24 shifted the momentum our way. If we make a 4th and 1 stop, then it's a big momentum swing and the crowd gets back into it even faster. Kicking the FG was the right thing to do.

So after we go down 24-0 Hardman has a nice return and in 2 plays we have our first points of the day. Texans get the ball back and can't get a 1st down in 3 plays, but instead of punting they run a fake punt and direct snap to Justin Reid. The play design was almost perfect, besides 2 thing, the ball carrier was Justin Reid and Dan Sorenson didn't have anyone even attempting to block him. Justin Reid is a FS, so he doesn't carry the ball all that often and Dan Sorenson is one of the most clutch Chiefs defensive players in the playoffs I've ever seen, so with him one on one against a safety Im taking Dan everytime. So this might be the dumbest call B.O.B made or was it? We had just scored in less than a minute and have a certain QB by the name of Patrick Mahomes. It's not like the Texans D was stopping the Chiefs, so Bill took the chance to keep the ball out of Mahomes' hands and try to get more points. He figured that we'd score no matter where we got the ball and it almost did work, but Dirty Dan said fuck this shit.

B.O.B does deserve some blame, but in 7 out of 8 drives after the 1st quarter, Deshaun Watson (a guy people like to put on the same level as Mahomes) couldnt lead his team to a score. Out of 32 total drives in the playoffs Watson has led the Texans to score on only 9 of those drives. B.O.B. was just trying to do what he thought would be best to beat us, take any points that are available and throw in a few tricky things. If that fake punt works out, we still win, but B.O.B. is getting a lot less crap.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:19 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Maybe a good call to fake the punt but bad Execution... took too long to snap the ball.. the back couldn’t figure out which way he wanted to go.. Dirty Dan sniffed it out easily...
I agree with the bad execution of the fake punt. BUT you don't make that call deep in your own territory up by 17pts playing against Mahomes giving him a short field after just scoring for the first time enabling a comeback if you don't make it, especially in Arrowhead.

It just showed that at that point BOB went full panic mode. :-)
[Reply]
arrwheader 11:20 AM 01-14-2020
Taking the FG was not stupid. You make the easy chip shot, you're up 4 scores (extra points not 2pts because I bet the probablity of getting 3 2pt conversions in a row is low af) in a game where you probably thought you would be trailing at that point. You take the points. Plus if you get it there's no guarantee that you get a TD anyway but what is there is 3 points and your up 4 scores.

The fake punt was dumb. I get it you have to score but again you have a substantial lead at that point and your in you're own territory. you fuck that up the Chiefs can get a quick score. At that point it was all about the Chiefs needing to score quickly and you basically gave us that by that stupid call there. He should have punted it hope to pin the Chiefs deep and hope you get a stop if not then you burn more clock while you have the lead.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:20 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
And based on the way the rest of the game went, that would’ve definitely worked out for them!

:-)
Margins are so narrow, you have no idea how much a little more confidence for the Texans and a little less confidence for the Chiefs would have played out. Especially with that deep of a hole already.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:21 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by cb15:
I would be fine with the FG. Take the points and go up 24.

I didn't understand the fake punt. On the road you just gave up a kick return and a score in 2 plays. Make them drive the length of the field. Don't give them opportunities for more momentum and to allow the crowd back in it.
This.

Your willing to risk giving Mahomes an extremely short field to work with?

At least make him work for it. Longer field =More plays =more chance for error.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:23 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
I think the field goal was an okay decision. Kind of a pussy move, but defendable. They still ended up with points. If they come up empty, that’s a huge win for the Chiefs.
Nah, the moment they decided to kick a FG, that was a win for us and more importantly when they removed their boot from our neck.:-)
[Reply]
staylor26 11:23 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Margins are so narrow, you have no idea how much a little more confidence for the Texans and a little less confidence for the Chiefs would have played out. Especially with that deep of a hole already.
I’m saying if they didn’t get it and had the mentality you were talking talking about.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:24 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by arrwheader:
Taking the FG was not stupid. You make the easy chip shot, you're up 4 scores (extra points not 2pts because I bet the probablity of getting 3 2pt conversions in a row is low af) in a game where you probably thought you would be trailing at that point. You take the points. Plus if you get it there's no guarantee that you get a TD anyway but what is there is 3 points and your up 4 scores.

The fake punt was dumb. I get it you have to score but again you have a substantial lead at that point and your in you're own territory. you fuck that up the Chiefs can get a quick score. At that point it was all about the Chiefs needing to score quickly and you basically gave us that by that stupid call there. He should have punted it hope to pin the Chiefs deep and hope you get a stop if not then you burn more clock while you have the lead.
IF you're gonna take the FG, you treat it like a business decision. You don't line up to go for it, then panic, then call at TO, then call it off. A FG there has to be 'OK, we'll just take the points' not 'maybe we. . . . but what if, . . . where's the play . . . . Aww fuck it all!!! [pisses pants up 21].'
[Reply]
DRM08 11:25 AM 01-14-2020
Not sure any of it mattered. Texans defense was horrible and Mahomes brought his A game. If the receivers were not dropping every good pass in the 1st quarter, Chiefs probably score at least 14 in the quarter. It was one of those games with such a bad defense that I think KC could have scored 80+ if they brought their A game for all 60 minutes.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:26 AM 01-14-2020
It will be interesting to see if Vrabel gambles like this?

I think the potency of the Chiefs offense forces teams into a gambling mentality they wouldn’t normally be like.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:28 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Not sure any of it mattered. Texans defense was horrible and Mahomes brought his A game. If the receivers were not dropping every good pass in the 1st quarter, Chiefs probably score at least 14 in the quarter. It was one of those games with such a bad defense that I think KC could have scored 80+ if they brought their A game for all 60 minutes.
I have zero question that Mahomes would have been up for the task, . . . the question is if the rest of the team gets out of their own heads after their own early failures. Do the receivers turn the switch and catch everything that comes their way? Does the defense start beasting without smelling blood in the water.
[Reply]
arrwheader 11:28 AM 01-14-2020
Those two decisions weren't so much about the likelihood of success or raw strategy as they are about the motivational messages they sent to both squads.

Going for it on 4th&inches up 21 says 'you might stop us, but we're already dominating enough in the game that we're gonna go ahead and kill you outright.' Taking the FG says "I'm scared our offense is a little smoke and mirrors right now, and we need to take the points while we're 'lucky' enough to get them.'

The fake punt compounded it by going complete opposite. It said 'we're not going to keep up with these guys if they wake up, so we need some desperate smoke and mirrors play to get even a little more advantage.'

They told us BoB was still scared, and told the Texans that BoB didn't believe in them. Both of those messages loosened us up and tightened them up, and you see that in another abortion, their horrific attempt at a lateral back to Watson in the next drive.
meh I mean everyone knew the Chiefs were the better team with the better offense there. I don't think he was sending a "I am a pussy" message, he was trying to play smart and ultimately outsmarted himself.

It doesn't take the smartest coach to think about if they had gone for it and didn't get it now they have 0 points. It was basically a free 3 points to go up another score. I doubt the Texans and BOB ever thought they would be up that big in one Q.

The fake punt was stupid imo, because again you have a lead that you probably didn't expect and the Chiefs needed quick scores. You don't get that you give them a opportunity at a quick score.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:30 AM 01-14-2020
Taking the FG was not stupid.
As Mitchell Swartz stated, "that's when we felt we got a win there finally".

It was psychologically devastating for the Texans offense leaving all 11 players with a WTF moment including the whole stadium and the only person who didn't think they could make it was BOB himself. BOB wet himself right there.

He chose to remove his boot from our neck and paid the price.:-)
[Reply]
chinaski 11:33 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Maybe a good call to fake the punt but bad Execution... took too long to snap the ball.. the back couldn’t figure out which way he wanted to go.. Dirty Dan sniffed it out easily...
There was something on Twitter that showed Sorenson prior to the play. He was on it from the BEGINNING. He KNEW something was up. Dude may have his drawbacks, but he ain't dumb.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:33 AM 01-14-2020
meh I mean everyone knew the Chiefs were the better team with the better offense there. I don't think he was sending a "I am a pussy" message, he was trying to play smart and ultimately outsmarted himself.
If true, neither you nor BOB understand professional athletes.

There isn't an athlete alive, at least not one worth a damn, that thinks 'I'm not the best, but if I'm lucky I won't make a total fool of myself.'

Athletes thrive on convincing themselves that they have an edge on everyone else on earth, regardless of the past or objective evidence.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:34 AM 01-14-2020
BINGO !!!!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up