ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 14
« First < 3910111213 14 >
The Lounge>Sammy Watkins
DenverChief 06:47 AM 01-14-2020
In all the celebration about Mahomes/Kelce let’s not forget about Watkins “quiet” contributions on Sunday. A 48 yard catch and run in the first drive of the 3rd quarter to put us deep in Texans territory and set up the first Williams TD run. A14 yard jet sweep run to help set up Damian Williams second TD run and a 28 yard 4th quarter reception that set up the 8 yard TD pass to Bell. Watkins is dangerous and must be accounted for in the field, anytime he can help get chunks of yards to move the offense up and down the field is a good days work
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:45 PM 01-21-2020
https://twitter.com/chiefs/status/12...146479109?s=21
[Reply]
DenverChief 09:46 PM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
https://twitter.com/chiefs/status/12...146479109?s=21
FUUUUCK YES!
[Reply]
DenverChief 09:51 PM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
No. He wasn't. He was less than a yard in when the ball spun out of his hand. And he wasn't really holding it securely before that - he was trying to spin it while holding it pointed down.

In the second pic above - the ball is basically out of his position. His right front foot is maybe a foot into the end zone. The way he's angled - the ball is much further towards the opposite end of the field.

I agree he's in the end zone - but way too close for comfort imo.
It’s been a while since I have put someone on iggy ....cmon man Stahp already
[Reply]
DenverChief 10:30 PM 01-28-2020

[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:56 PM 01-28-2020
Watkins is key here because you are correct he comes up with some big 3rd down plays to move the chains. When Sammy is healthy no one can cover him just like Tyreek and he has the "best first move" in avoiding a tackle right after a catch that I have ever seen. So elusive after the catch.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 10:32 AM 01-30-2020

Would Sammy Watkins take a pay cut to stay in Kansas City?

"If I'm at home and thinking about it, if I have to do it to pay Pat (Mahomes), I maybe will."https://t.co/tYV0TITBMC pic.twitter.com/fgNfzVLQCd

— Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) January 30, 2020

[Reply]
Halfcan 11:18 AM 01-30-2020
:-)
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Watkins is key here because you are correct he comes up with some big 3rd down plays to move the chains. When Sammy is healthy no one can cover him just like Tyreek and he has the "best first move" in avoiding a tackle right after a catch that I have ever seen. So elusive after the catch.
:-) Spot on analysis.

How many times in that video did they say the phrase "Watkins is wide open!"

The guy is a great safety valve for Mahomes and always seems to find the soft spot in defenses.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:32 AM 01-30-2020
What I really don't understand is how Watkins isn't more productive in the red zone.

He is letter perfect for what this offense does in close. And he's so physical both in his routes and with the ball in his hands. I'm really surprised we haven't made him a more central part of our red zone packages.

Have we ever seen him lining up in the backfield? You could do some really creative shit with him coming out on wheel routes, especially if you do something crazy like put Williams out in the pattern. They're gonna have their respective matchups based on who they see in the huddle but then if you split Williams out wide (let's you bunch left with Kelce split wide right, then motion Williams to Kelce's side and bring Watkins into the backfield), you're gonna throw off their coverages.

He's just such a physical guy that if you can hit him on a quick swing pass out of the backfield, he can make one guy miss and bull his way ahead for 12+ yards doing nothing but angling towards the sticks.

We'll miss him if/when we lose him because he's easily our most physical WR, but I think we underutilize him a fair amount.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:32 AM 01-30-2020
Sounds like he is willing to take a pay cut and re-structure to stay with the Chiefs:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ay-with-chiefs

If we can get his cap number down I am all for keeping him.
[Reply]
Sofa King 11:43 AM 01-30-2020
I'd like to keep him but not at the expense of Jones. So we'll see. Some tough decisions coming up soon. Hopefully the new CBA bails us out.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:59 AM 01-30-2020
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
I'd like to keep him but not at the expense of Jones. So we'll see. Some tough decisions coming up soon. Hopefully the new CBA bails us out.
Yeah, it's ultimately a pretty simple calculus.

Can Patrick Mahomes make a guy like Pringle look like an NFL caliber WR? Yeah, probably.

Can Patrick Mahomes do anything to make Khalen Saunders as impactful as Chris Jones?

No, no he cannot.

Your greatest force multiplier exists on the offensive side of the ball, so you're gonna have to use him to make players better than they are while using money/picks to simply keep better players on the defensive side of the ball.

It's arbitrage as applied to an NFL roster.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 12:12 PM 01-30-2020
Can't imagine the VagNiners won't be doubling Kelce and Hill most of the time. Leaves the door wide open for Sammy. Sammy needs to dominate. If he does, we win.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:17 PM 01-30-2020
It’s going to have to be a steep contract decline. We’re talking an average of $11-12 million. Perhaps Clark could offer more guaranteed to sweeten that deal?

I would really like to do that for Kelce, but Sammy could be good too. Lower that cap hit and give us even more money to add to our $20+ million rollover.

Then pay Chris Jones and make his cap hit $30 million. Get rid of that high cap hit early with spare cash while the rest will look like a steal.

Then have Jones cap hit be around $7 million in 2021 (like Clark’s this year) and use that spare cash to pay Pat his biggest cap hit to get it over early ($45 million).

It can work quite well if executed correctly
[Reply]
tyecopeland 12:49 PM 01-30-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It’s going to have to be a steep contract decline. We’re talking an average of $11-12 million. Perhaps Clark could offer more guaranteed to sweeten that deal?

I would really like to do that for Kelce, but Sammy could be good too. Lower that cap hit and give us even more money to add to our $20+ million rollover.

Then pay Chris Jones and make his cap hit $30 million. Get rid of that high cap hit early with spare cash while the rest will look like a steal.

Then have Jones cap hit be around $7 million in 2021 (like Clark’s this year) and use that spare cash to pay Pat his biggest cap hit to get it over early ($45 million).

It can work quite well if executed correctly
Early cap hits dont mean shit with the rollover. They are actually a detriment.
[Reply]
JakeF 12:58 PM 01-30-2020
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Can't imagine the VagNiners won't be doubling Kelce and Hill most of the time. Leaves the door wide open for Sammy. Sammy needs to dominate. If he does, we win.
The job of Watkins and Hardman is to make defenses pay for doubling Hill and Kelce. It's important that they keep defenses honest.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 14
« First < 3910111213 14 >
Up