ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1735 of 3903
« First < 735123516351685172517311732173317341735 173617371738173917451785183522352735 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 02:47 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
So, do we think he's doing this because he needs that market cap to stay up so he can get that massive payout?
Nah, he's worth billions already, and he'll get the payout eventually, so I can't imagine he's motivated by personal wealth.

In terms of his actual stake in all of this, I think it's much more strongly driven by the fact that Tesla is a very cash poor company because they put every dollar they have into R&D and capital buildout. California is locking things down for the entire month of May at this point, and I'm sure that Tesla is losing a fuck ton of productivity because of it.

But beyond that, he really is a hardcore libertarian, so this isn't out of the norm for him. For years he's railed against government subsidies for oil (which he sees as antithetical to the mission of getting people off of fossil fuels) and against the cost-plus contracts that ULA gets for space launches (which he sees as working against price competition).

Many people just don't follow him closely enough to notice.
[Reply]
Pants 02:50 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
No. Read that sentence again substituting "if" with "whether" and without the addition of "or not." Like I said, it wouldn't make any sense.

Consider yourself schooled, immigrant.

QED.
I did. Of course it would make sense. As I stated before, the "or not" part on which you seem to be so hung up is entirely optional and implied.

It's a poorly crafted sentence, that's for sure. Despite all that, it is still not a conditional one. Hence, the word "if" was used incorrectly.

I have been schooled actually. That's the reason I can point this out to you and make you a better writer going forward. Your hubris is rearing its ugly head but that's okay. Don't take it personally. Learn and move on.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:51 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
South Korea with 9 new cases yesterday, after being a hot spot weeks ago. Why?

They wear masks. Everywhere.

That is all we have to do. That's it. Then you guys can go back to work. Whatever you want to do. Mandate masks. This is effectively over. Annoying? Sure. Just masks until vaccine.

That is an unfair disadvantage for those of us that are super handsome
[Reply]
Mecca 02:53 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Also if you wear glasses it may cause some fogging.
[Reply]
Donger 02:56 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I did. Of course it would make sense. As I stated before, the "or not" part on which you seem to be so hung up is entirely optional and implied.

It's a poorly crafted sentence, that's for sure. Despite all that, it is still not a conditional one. Hence, the word "if" was used incorrectly.

I have been schooled actually. That's the reason I can point this out to you and make you a better writer going forward. Your hubris is rearing its ugly head but that's okay. Don't take it personally. Learn and move on.
It's not implied. It's absent.
[Reply]
O.city 03:03 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Also if you wear glasses it may cause some fogging.
Learn how to breathe right.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:06 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Learn how to breathe right.
Sir breathing through your nose is not difficult.
[Reply]
Pants 03:06 PM 04-30-2020
It's not implied. It's absent.
It seems that way because it is a poorly crafted sentence.

It is not a conditional statement. Therefore, the word "if" does not belong there under any circumstance.

You would have to replace it with "whether" and, then, if you simply HAD TO HAVE the implied "or not" in there, you could tack it on to the end.

Of course it would sound like shit. Again, that would only be due to the fact you wrote a sentence that sounds like shit.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:10 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
Ks reporting 500 new cases today?

Huge jump if so
Yeah, that has to be some sort of an anomaly or something. That is a huge jump. I will be curious to see where these all came from.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:11 PM 04-30-2020

It is not a conditional statement. Therefore, the word "if" does not belong there under any circumstance.

You would have to replace it with "whether" and, then, if you simply HAD TO HAVE the implied "or not" in there, you could tack it on to the end.

Of course it would sound like shit. Again, that would only be due to the fact you wrote a sentence that sounds like shit.
:-)
[Reply]
Donger 03:13 PM 04-30-2020

I'm not the one going on about implied magic words.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:15 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Yeah, that has to be some sort of an anomaly or something. That is a huge jump. I will be curious to see where these all came from.
Probably from those stupid protest
[Reply]
petegz28 03:16 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Probably from those stupid protest
:-)
[Reply]
Pants 03:18 PM 04-30-2020
I'm not the one going on about implied magic words.
There is nothing magical about optional, implied words.

What's the difference between the below sentences?

If I go to school and try my best, I will surely learn something.

If I go to school and try my best, then I will surely learn something.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:21 PM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Are you a member?

At the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than being really, really ridiculously good-looking. Words can only hurt you if you try to read them. Don't play their game!
[Reply]
Page 1735 of 3903
« First < 735123516351685172517311732173317341735 173617371738173917451785183522352735 > Last »
Up