ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1367 of 3903
« First < 36786712671317135713631364136513661367 136813691370137113771417146718672367 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 05:50 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
500mg bid I believe. Then they taper it down to 500mg one daily. (I think I'm remembering that right)

I do know there is a very fine line between what is considered a theraputic dose, and a dose that causes a greater deal of side effects and even overdose.
My wife said it’s 500mg per week as far a malaria prophylaxis. Malaria treatment is 1000mg for initial and 500mg 6-8 hrs later then 500mg per day for 2 days. Parasitic infection is 1000mg then 500mg daily for 2 weeks.

My wife says it’s not something she would take unless she really had too , I understand for some it is s last ditch effort.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:52 PM 04-13-2020
Their dosage doesn’t seem that extreme.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:53 PM 04-13-2020
She showed a couple of them.

One that showed NJ/NY going off like a rocket compared to the rest of the country. We all know it's happening, but it's crazy to see it in graph form like that.

Another that showed other metropolitan "outbreaks". St. Louis was on that chart, though I couldn't tell where because all the colors are far too similar.
I believe Mo was supposed to be peeking here in the next week or two so I think it logical to see things get worse before they get better. But I also think it is more on the east side of the state as well.
[Reply]
TLO 05:53 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
My wife said it’s 500mg per week as far a malaria prophylaxis. Malaria treatment is 1000mg for initial and 500mg 6-8 hrs later then 500mg per day for 2 days. Parasitic infection is 1000mg then 509mg daily for 2 weeks.

My wife says it’s not something she would take unless she really had too , I understand for some it is s last ditch effort.
My Mom has said the same thing. I absolutely would not take it on an outpatient basis.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:59 PM 04-13-2020
Barring some sort of surprise today looks to be a mirror image of yesterday on the totals.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 06:12 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Barring some sort of surprise today looks to be a mirror image of yesterday on the totals.
Its peaked which is great news.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:14 PM 04-13-2020
Okay, here's the deal with the Brazilian study:

1) They used chloroquine phosphate, not hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil). Hydroxychloroquine dosages are normally smaller, but the chloroquine doses themselves are quite a bit above what a patient would normally receive for malaria. However, mechanistically, the drugs are the same. Hydroxychloroquine is given at a lower dose and is generally considered a safer drug, but if chloroquine is not efficacious, hydroxychloroquine is unlikely to demonstrate efficacy either.

2) The reason why the study was stopped was that 25% of the participants in the high dose arm (the low dose arm is still a high dose) developed a QTc interval of >500. This is not surprising given that the patients were also receiving azithromycin which also prolongs the QT interval. Clinicians get very nervous with a QTc above 500 because it greatly increases your risk of Torsades de Pointes, which is a fatal heart arrhythmia (imagine an inversion of your normal heart rhythm).

3) All patients in the trial were also being given ceftriaxone, which is a broad spectrum cephalosporin. It's a great drug and is often used for empiric therapy of a variety of infections patients may present with in the hospital; however, the results of that study would be muddied by its addition.

There are other issues with trial design that I could point out, but it's not really necessary for the purpose of this discussion.

More importantly, this is a teachable moment about anchoring. This is a common occurrence in medicine: someone will see a patient, begin reading their chart and latch on to a diagnosis or therapy without considering changes to the clinical picture as more information is unveiled.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:21 PM 04-13-2020
According to the article they were giving 600 mg and it was those high dose patients that had the heart problems and it was that part of the study that was stopped. The lower 450 mg dosage patients apparently did not have those issues.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:25 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
According to the article they were giving 600 mg and it was those high dose patients that had the heart problems and it was that part of the study that was stopped. The lower 450 mg dosage patients apparently did not have those issues.
600mg BID, not just 600mg.
[Reply]
Monticore 06:26 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:

1) They used chloroquine phosphate, not hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil). Hydroxychloroquine dosages are normally smaller, but the chloroquine doses themselves are quite a bit above what a patient would normally receive for malaria. However, mechanistically, the drugs are the same. Hydroxychloroquine is given at a lower dose and is generally considered a safer drug, but if chloroquine is not efficacious, hydroxychloroquine is unlikely to demonstrate efficacy either.

2) The reason why the study was stopped was that 25% of the participants in the high dose arm (the low dose arm is still a high dose) developed a QTc interval of >500. This is not surprising given that the patients were also receiving azithromycin which also prolongs the QT interval. Clinicians get very nervous with a QTc above 500 because it greatly increases your risk of Torsades de Pointes, which is a fatal heart arrhythmia (imagine an inversion of your normal heart rhythm).

3) All patients in the trial were also being given ceftriaxone, which is a broad spectrum cephalosporin. It's a great drug and is often used for empiric therapy of a variety of infections patients may present with in the hospital; however, the results of that study would be muddied by its addition.

There are other issues with trial design that I could point out, but it's not really necessary for the purpose of this discussion.

More importantly, this is a teachable moment about anchoring. This is a common occurrence in medicine: someone will see a patient, begin reading their chart and latch on to a diagnosis or therapy without considering changes to the clinical picture as more information is unveiled.
Thanks for making me feel stupid dick , lol
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:31 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Thanks for making me feel stupid dick , lol

via GIPHY

[Reply]
TLO 06:42 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:

Very informative. Thank you.

And a question..

Why are they set on using azithromycin? Couldn't you substitute another antibiotic that doesn't have the potential cardiac side effects? Why not just use doxycycline or something?
[Reply]
petegz28 06:57 PM 04-13-2020
final numbers a smidge better than Sunday but the same for the most part

+7 new deaths

but

-780 new cases
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:02 PM 04-13-2020
Very informative. Thank you.

And a question..

Why are they set on using azithromycin? Couldn't you substitute another antibiotic that doesn't have the potential cardiac side effects? Why not just use doxycycline or something?
Macrolides have immunomodulatory effects which may be helpful in mitigating a hyperactive immune response (like the frequently referenced cytokine storm). Azithromycin has fewer drug interactions and a longer half life than other macrolides, so it's used much more often.

If you were concerned about the antibiogram and proper coverage, doxycycline would actually be a good choice as it is a broad spectrum antibiotic, like azithromycin, that also covers atypical pathogens.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:27 PM 04-13-2020
Ain't that something

http://nypost.com/2020/04/13/virgini...f-coronavirus/
[Reply]
Page 1367 of 3903
« First < 36786712671317135713631364136513661367 136813691370137113771417146718672367 > Last »
Up