ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 75 of 324
« First < 25657172737475 7677787985125175 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:41 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
His cap hit is $21M for this year. Can save $14M if he’s released.

He was really good down the stretch, but $21M good?
I'd argue he's 14m good over 16 games, which is our maximum return value without him.

I don't think we can exceed his value by letting him go (at best, we may be able to replace it).

He's also repeatedly come through in big moments and worked to lead the team. Not sure why the negativity about Berry is being applied to him.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:44 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I'd argue he's 14m good over 16 games, which is our maximum return value without him.

I don't think we can exceed his value by letting him go (at best, we may be able to replace it).

He's also repeatedly come through in big moments and worked to lead the team. Not sure why the negativity about Berry is being applied to him.
Not so much negativity as just hoping KC can get some cap relief there. If he’d play for even $16M, it’d help a ton.

He probably can’t get more than that on the open market.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 10:45 PM 01-27-2019
The players that are currently under discussion are the exact type of players that BB will pull out his unmerciful, fine-tooth comb to assess, and will cut any and all dead weight and dollars without even blinking.

Which is what WE need to be doing.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:56 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Not so much negativity as just hoping KC can get some cap relief there. If he’d play for even $16M, it’d help a ton.

He probably can’t get more than that on the open market.
Hope we make him a nice deal to lower his cap hit next Fall and then extend his contract to a fair deal for an older player.

Probably something like turn some of his salary in 2019 into guaranteed money.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:09 PM 01-27-2019
This is what pissed me off about Houston. Dude had to be motivated by Justin Hamilton to make a play? We paying $21 mill for that shit?!?!

Love the talent but he’s old and we can’t be paying him that much anymore. He is way overpaid for what he is at this point.

Am I the only person who remembers the multiple questionable effort plays and games Justin Houston had? Heck he had a game that was very important, that he had to be publicly challenged by a dude who hadn't been active all year to quit dogging it!

— ChiefBearcat (@Chief_Bearcat) January 28, 2019

[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:10 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Hope we make him a nice deal to lower his cap hit next Fall and then extend his contract to a fair deal for an older player.

Probably something like turn some of his salary in 2019 into guaranteed money.
I am 100% behind this.

If it were me, I’d say goodbye to EB this off-season, trade Dee and re-structure JH. If JH doesn’t re-structure I’d hold onto him one more year.

If JH wasn’t still a top 3 impact guy, I’d be willing to part ways - but not when we’re already losing our top rusher from the other side (Ford). If I trusted Veach to draft I’d feel differently, but Speaks hasn’t shown he can be a suitable replacement for anyone so far, so the defense would have to add even more enormous holes to fill.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:16 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This is what pissed me off about Houston. Dude had to be motivated by Justin Hamilton to make a play? We paying $21 mill for that shit?!?!

Love the talent but he’s old and we can’t be paying him that much anymore.

Then fuck Aaron Donald and Kahlil Mack, too. They have plenty of questionable effort plays per game.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:29 PM 01-27-2019
I sure hope Speaks can succeed in this scheme. IMO it would appear this would be a more natural fit for him, similar to what he played in college. He is the same size as Aaron Donald, so playing him at DT wouldn't be out of the norm. He'd be quicker off the snap than your average DT. Speaks needs to watch tape on Donald, call his ass up in the offseason and workout w/ the guy. Prob wouldnt ever happen but I can wish.

I've always hated the pick...I still currently do but Spags hire has given me a slight glimpse of some hope. Always thought he was horribly out of position, slow, fat, lethargic, and not built in anyway for a 34OLB, just a stupid pick, especially since the Chiefs moved up for him IIRC, and considering it was a massive reach to begin with.

I dont understand tagging Ford. He's absolutely TERRIBLE in run support. I just cant see the guy putting his hand in the dirt. I mean he wouldn't have to drop in coverage, but I just think it's a dumb idea to tag a situational 1trick pony, unless they plan on tagging/trading him? Usually you'd want a deal in place before making that move.
[Reply]
Warrick 12:32 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
If I trusted Veach to draft I’d feel differently, but Speaks hasn’t shown he can be a suitable replacement for anyone so far, so the defense would have to add even more enormous holes to fill.
Had Veach drafted Donte Jackson instead of Speaks the Chiefs might be singing a different tune right now. Regardless, he knew we needed a couple of cornerbacks in the draft and yet he did nothing in the earlier rounds to help this team.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:33 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
I sure hope Speaks can succeed in this scheme. IMO it would appear this would be a more natural fit for him, similar to what he played in college. He is the same size as Aaron Donald, so playing him at DT wouldn't be out of the norm. He'd be quicker off the snap than your average DT. Speaks needs to watch tape on Donald, call his ass up in the offseason and workout w/ the guy. Prob wouldnt ever happen but I can wish.

I've always hated the pick...I still currently do but Spags hire has given me a slight glimpse of some hope. Always thought he was horribly out of position, slow, fat, lethargic, and not built in anyway for a 34OLB, just a stupid pick, especially since the Chiefs moved up for him IIRC, and considering it was a massive reach to begin with.

I dont understand tagging Ford. He's absolutely TERRIBLE in run support. I just cant see the guy putting his hand in the dirt. I mean he wouldn't have to drop in coverage, but I just think it's a dumb idea to tag a situational 1trick pony, unless they plan on tagging/trading him? Usually you'd want a deal in place before making that move.
mostly agree, although I think Speaks is your LDE. I have suspicions that a move to the 4-3 was always the plan.

The only reason you tag Ford is to trade him, which I'm pretty sure is also the plan.

JH they will try to restructure for cap relief, and if they can get that done, he's a fine RDE.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 07:46 AM 01-28-2019
What do you guys think about tagging and trading ford for Clowney?
[Reply]
MIAdragon 07:56 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
What do you guys think about tagging and trading ford for Clowney?
Srsly
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:08 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
Srsly
Yeah I doubt Houston keeps him, tagged player for tagged player...
[Reply]
tmax63 08:14 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
We really don't want to HAVE to start like 4 rookies.
edit-I guess it'd be like 3 by my count, at SAM, one CB, and a S. Plus whoever's going to play on first down and any down less than 4 yards in Ford's spot. I mean it just doesn't make sense.
Depends on what you're calling a rookie. I can see Fuller and Ward as the CB and Watts/Lucas as Safeties. Ward, Watts, and Lucas all got in some playing time this year. Ward showed real week to week improvement and I see him as CB2. I think it would take a really special rookie to beat him out next spring. Safety, with or without EB, is a question. Didn't get to see enough of Watts or Lucas playing to get a good gauge on where their at. I thought both showed promise but Lucas did it in less playing time.

I still surprised at how well the Chiefs defensive players match up to a 4-3 alignment without any changes. Only talking a couple of guys who "don't fit" somewhere, almost all the arguments here is cost/production which is the same arguments we have here year after year after year after year...
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:23 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
The players that are currently under discussion are the exact type of players that BB will pull out his unmerciful, fine-tooth comb to assess, and will cut any and all dead weight and dollars without even blinking.

Which is what WE need to be doing.
That's true-except that BB always has drafted the next guy who is right behind him on the depth chart. We've got some glaring holes.

I could easily move on from Berry, Houston, Bailey, Sorensen, Nelson, and Ford, signing stopgap vets to short deals to play for a year or two while we draft and develop youngsters behind them. I think over the long term that is the smart path, as the bulk of our cap will be spent on the offense going forward. Drafting and developing is going to be THE key.
[Reply]
Page 75 of 324
« First < 25657172737475 7677787985125175 > Last »
Up