ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 51 of 103
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2018 Missouri Tigers Football Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:36 PM 07-30-2018
The beginning of the 2018 season is a little under five weeks away. Missouri enters the year projected to finish 4th in the East, and may be a borderline Top 25 team according to some projection systems. After a disappointing recruiting cycle last year, pressure is on Odom to restock the cupboard after the senior years of Lock and Beckner, who will go down as two of the better Tigers in history and likely first round draft picks.

Schedule:

Spoiler!

Recruiting:

Spoiler!

At this point, the class is ranked 68-69 nationally by Rivals and 24/7. Odom is going to have to rely on Pinkel's diamond-in-the-rough approach. It looks like they've pulled back considerably from Georgia, focusing more upon Texas, which is what they should have always done. Unfortunately, they've done horrific in-state, and I think that will likely end up being the nail in Odom's coffin after the 2019 season.

12/19 Update: A strong finish late in the cycle moved the class up significantly. Securing commitments from grad transfer Kelly Bryant and TCU transfer Shawn Robinson has solidified the QB position in the short and intermediate term. A class that was ranked in the 60's at the beginning of the season is now a top 20-30 class factoring in transfers.

Hamas' Crystal Ball: 8-4; 4-4 in the SEC (wins vs. Ark, Tenn, Vandy, Kentucky)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:27 PM 11-03-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Lock being compared to Mahomes and Goff, a good sign he might be taken in the 1st round, and real credit to Lock's great coaches when he was growing up.
Lol

He knew nothing about playing QB when he got to Mizzou.
[Reply]
Dierdorf72 05:59 PM 11-03-2018
MIzzou is a fucking cocktease.

Why do they do this to us ?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:11 PM 11-03-2018
I'll be done if Odom sticks around another year. He's managed to squander what talent was left from the Pinkel era and hasn't done shit in regards to recruiting.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:33 PM 11-03-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I'll be done if Odom sticks around another year. He's managed to squander what talent was left from the Pinkel era and hasn't done shit in regards to recruiting.

Hard to imagine he won’t be back. Would take a back-breaking loss to Vandy or Arkansas.

We’ll see how they do next year without Beckner and Lock.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:23 PM 11-03-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Lol

He knew nothing about playing QB when he got to Mizzou.
Are you suggesting he was given a scholarship to play something other than QB, or that people who don't know a position are drafted to play that position?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:34 PM 11-03-2018
And I’ll say, if he ends up 8-4 with losses to Georgia, Kentucky, Bama, and South Carolina, that’s something he can build on. Especially considering a few lucky breaks could have swung 2-3 of those.

Next year will be critical. They need to find a QB. Hopefully they do close the deal on Bryant - they have a good shot.

The defense is improving as Odom’s guys - Gillespie, Jacobs, Byers, Acy, and Holmes are all his guys - are taking on more responsibility.

I can see some glimmers of hope.
[Reply]
kepp 07:53 PM 11-03-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
And I’ll say, if he ends up 8-4 with losses to Georgia, Kentucky, Bama, and South Carolina, that’s something he can build on. Especially considering a few lucky breaks could have swung 2-3 of those.

Next year will be critical. They need to find a QB. Hopefully they do close the deal on Bryant - they have a good shot.

The defense is improving as Odom’s guys - Gillespie, Jacobs, Byers, Acy, and Holmes are all his guys - are taking on more responsibility.

Honestly, the South Carolina game was a complete screw job by the refs. The Kentucky game saw some bad game management late in the game, but then another ref screw job. We should be 7-2 right now. My main gripe with Odom is recruiting. For his sake, I hope we get Kelly for a year.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:50 AM 11-04-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

'Lucky breaks'? You mean, absent a cavalcade of mind numbingly stupid errors?

The tigers SHOULD be 7-2 and could easily be 8-1 and in the playoff hunt. But Odom and Dooley coached this team directly into three losses.

This is the exact same rationalization we saw last season and im done with that shit. Fortunately it's not a real concern - he's going to be lucky to win 4 next year. Dude has an incredible amount of experienced talent on this team and still farted away any chance at a meaningful season. He's going to get steamrolled next season even with a shockingly favorable schedule.

Odom is overmatched.
[Reply]
Best22 08:56 AM 11-04-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

The tigers SHOULD be 7-2 and could easily be 8-1 and in the playoff hunt. But Odom and Dooley coached this team directly into three losses.

This is the exact same rationalization we saw last season and im done with that shit. Fortunately it's not a real concern - he's going to be lucky to win 4 next year. Dude has an incredible amount of experienced talent on this team and still farted away any chance at a meaningful season. He's going to get steamrolled next season even with a shockingly favorable schedule.

Odom is overmatched.
We need a new coach but we have to be careful. Even once “hot” coaches like PJ Fleck are getting steamrolled. Fuente is 4-4 and lost to Old Dominion. Larry Fedora is 4-16 over the last 2 seasons at UNC, just like KU.

If we fire an 8-4 coach at Mizzou, we damn sure better hit a surefire HR.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:26 AM 11-04-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Lock being compared to Mahomes and Goff.

I can honestly say I've read it all now on CP.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:28 AM 11-04-2018

Odom is overmatched.

Both those games should have been wins. Both featured bad coaching decisions. Both featured some extreme bad luck in bad calls that turned the game. Neither really had something bounce or break Missouri’s way. I’m not trying to excuse them and think he deserves critiques for them.

I’m just saying, that when I look at this how I think Sterk would/will, there’s some things that Odom can use to plead his case, for next year at least.

One thing he’s done a very nice job with - which is critical for a Mizzou football coach - is finding talent.

Badie, Acy, Holmes, Gillespie, Jacobs, Byers, Knox, Bledsoe, Kam Scott... none of those guys was heavily recruited. Odom’s staff ID’d them and has them playing above their recruiting ranking.

He simply HAS to win more of the key battles, but this is the other key side of the coin for a Mizzou coach.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:38 AM 11-04-2018
Originally Posted by Best22:
We need a new coach but we have to be careful. Even once “hot” coaches like PJ Fleck are getting steamrolled. Fuente is 4-4 and lost to Old Dominion. Larry Fedora is 4-16 over the last 2 seasons at UNC, just like KU.

If we fire an 8-4 coach at Mizzou, we damn sure better hit a surefire HR.
Routinely bringing up the rear in recruiting in the SEC has to stop. That's a threshold problem and this team cannot be more than an afterthought if it doesn't.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:46 AM 11-04-2018
Routinely bringing up the rear in recruiting in the SEC has to stop. That's a threshold problem and this team cannot be more than an afterthought if it doesn't.

It absolutely does. They need to win more key battles.

Time to cut bait on Andy Hill. He has been a disaster as the special teams coach and his recruiting has fallen off a cliff.

A coach at Missouri is always going to have to be capable of finding some under-the-radar talent and pairing that with highly recruited talent.

That first skill is hard to find and seems to be something Odom’s staff is showing.

The recruiting is trending up as well. The class rank isn’t good, and part of that is due to numbers. As they fill the class, it can/should get into the low-mid 30s.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:47 AM 11-04-2018
Who ever had a hand in hiring Dooley should be fired the day after the season ends. He took a QB that might've bee a fringe top 10 pick and knocked him into day 3. What a horrible OC/QB coach.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:47 AM 11-04-2018
There is entirely too much college football on Saturday television.
[Reply]
Page 51 of 103
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101 > Last »
Up