ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Hiatal Hernia.. WTF?
Kman34 10:02 AM 04-16-2021
I went to the ER in Dec because of Diverticulitis and had a CT scan and one of the things that was on the scan was a Hiatal Hernia.. I went to my Doc for a follow up after and he didn’t think it was a big deal if I wasn’t having any Acid reflux.

Went and had an X-ray today for a shoulder issue and they called and said my Hiatal Hernia was quite large and showed up on the X-ray..
This seems concerning to me and I’m going to make an appointment with a Gastroenterologist...

Do any of you guys have any experience with this condition? I’m currently on a diet but still feel bloated sometimes after eating which is a symptom of this.
[Reply]
New World Order 01:48 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It's possible , do you have a known history of diverticulosis , it can feel like an appendix attack but on your left not sure how often it just resolves on it's own without treatment so it is odd that it comes and goes I would think if would just get worse.
Originally Posted by Kman34:
The Hernia is higher than my diverticulitis pain.. Yes the Diverticulitis is on my lower left side.. It bothers me with I eat fried food or drink beer.. Red meat makes it act up too.. Sucks because those are the “ good foods”.. lol.. Feels like a like a lump low below my waist line..

The hernia make me feel bloated and some breathing problems if I sit down after a large meal..
My dad has colitis and his brother has cron's.

The attacks come when I eat pizza and sometimes red meat. Although, I did eat pretty clean and I still had some pain this past month.

I literally can feel food move down my left side to my stomach. In addition to the left side and abdominal pain I vomit and have diarrhea.

How long does your attack last?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:51 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It might depend on how much stomach is involved increasing risk of strangulation.
It can also lead to necrosis. I know someone that almost died from a hiatal hernia.
[Reply]
Monticore 01:58 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by New World Order:

The attacks come when I eat pizza and sometimes red meat. Although, I did eat pretty clean and I still had some pain this past month.

I literally can feel food move down my left side to my stomach. In addition to the left side and abdominal pain I vomit and have diarrhea.

Could be any of the ones you mentioned , time to see a doctor bro.
[Reply]
Kman34 02:02 PM 04-16-2021

You need to see a Doctor to sort this out. CT scan will probably be needed....Could be something other than diverticulitis...
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:04 PM 04-16-2021
Diverticulitis can lead to serious infection. Like others said, see a doctor.
[Reply]
New World Order 02:18 PM 04-16-2021
I saw a doctor and had a colonoscopy but he didn't do a CT scan.

He said I was too young for diverticulitis (I don't think he really considered it). I was 33 when I had one (2 yearsish ago).
[Reply]
New World Order 02:21 PM 04-16-2021
Alright Kman, didn't mean to hijack your thread man :-)
[Reply]
SupDock 02:22 PM 04-16-2021
I saw a doctor and had a colonoscopy but he didn't do a CT scan.

He said I was too young for diverticulitis (I don't think he really considered it). I was 33 when I had one (2 yearsish ago).
Your colonoscopy would show if you have diverticulosis or not, and that would be necessary to have diverticulitis. Either way you need to see someone about this

Generally people with diverticulitis have right lower quadrant or left lower quadrant pain, often have a fever too. The pain is usually somewhat persistent and typically requires antibiotics.
[Reply]
SupDock 02:24 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Being on PPI's for extended periods of time really isn't healthy. But I'm not a doctor, just going on the advice of my surgeon.
That's true, but neither is uncontrolled gastroesophageal reflux. It would be preferable to be on an h2 blocker as opposed to a PPI
[Reply]
LiveSteam 02:25 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
Ive had a hiatal hernia for years. Just medium sized. If I eat too fast it holds some of the food longer making me feel like a softball under my sternum
Acid reflux from time to time.
Just keep an eye out if they also diagnosed you with Barret's Esophagus. That can lead to cancer.
I have an endoscopy check up end of this month.
Not a big deal for 95% of people with one.
I have it flare up every once in a while.
It feels like someone has their hands under the bottom of my rib cage and are trying to pull my rids up to my shoulders. It fucking hurts. And if it wont go away.
The only thing Ive found that helps it go away, is sticking my fingers down my throat and forcing myself to gag and puke. Which is nothing when compared to the pain.

Smoking pot will set if off if I gag and choke from to big a hit.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 02:28 PM 04-16-2021
Used to happen all the time back in my twenties.
Back then I ate Jalapeno peppers on everything.
Once I stop that. The flare ups happen once every couple years. And always after coughing from to big a hit on the pot pipe
[Reply]
SupDock 02:28 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
I have it flare up every once in a while.
It feels like someone has their hands under the bottom of my rib cage and are trying to pull my rids up to my shoulders. It fucking hurts. And if it wont go away.
The only thing Ive found that helps it go away, is sticking my fingers down my throat and forcing myself to gag and puke. Which is nothing when compared to the pain.

Smoking pot will set if off if I gag and choke from to big a hit.
You could try eating the grass instead of smoking it. That works for my dog.
[Reply]
Kman34 03:06 PM 04-16-2021
Alright Kman, didn't mean to hijack your thread man :-)
As long as you don’t demand a ransom I’m good with it..:-)
[Reply]
Woogieman 03:50 PM 04-16-2021
Do any of you guys have any experience with this condition? I’m currently on a diet but still feel bloated sometimes after eating which is a symptom of this.[/QUOTE]

First step is an easy one: find out what foods or drinks trigger it...for me, it was tomatoes/salsa which is common. Had a bumper crop in the garden one year and was eating tomatoes and peppers (all varieties) constantly, then after would finish work on the laptop for a few hrs on sofa with tv on. Bit of an awkward posture, and then the reflux started up with mild hiatal. Mostly gone now due to reduction in acidic foods/vinegar (lots of that in home made salsa), eating AND drinking slowly...you can literally trigger it when drinking water if you gulp it like I did after softball or exercising! Don't eat late, and posture is another trigger...sit up straight young man! Fatty red meat is a big trigger as well, if you crave brisket, have it for lunch and move around after.
[Reply]
Monticore 04:17 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Diverticulitis can lead to serious infection. Like others said, see a doctor.
Any internal infection can lead to sepsis death etc , I had patient who had diverticulitis where the inflammation was eroding through the bladder wall.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up