ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>In the IT world, is the term "User" offensive?
Dartgod 12:58 PM 03-18-2021
So I work in IT and for as long as I've done so (20+ years), our end users are usually simply referred to as "users". This came out yesterday from our infrastructure director:

"I want to challenge all of you to stop using the word "user" when referring to employee-owners that use the systems and services we provide. You can imagine how offensive this term is to someone who is not an IT employee. Please stop using this word in presentations, training sessions, support conversations, or when simply writing a note in an incident."

When the hell did this happen? Have any of you other IT workers seen this? Hell most of the Powershell cmdlets I use daily are baser on "user"; Get-AdUser, Set-CsUser, etc...

I'm really having a hard time understanding how and when this became an offensive term?
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:17 PM 03-18-2021
What are you supposed to call them? Stupid isn’t offensive?
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:19 PM 03-18-2021
We'd have to rename and map all our DBs
[Reply]
Dartgod 01:23 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
What are you supposed to call them? Stupid isn’t offensive?
:-)

I don't get it. Everybody has to be fucking offended by something these days.
[Reply]
Fish 01:33 PM 03-18-2021
LOL, no.
[Reply]
Dartgod 01:46 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
LOL, no.
I'm guessing one person out of 6,000+ employees was having a bad day and complained to management. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:55 PM 03-18-2021
Not offensive.

“The dumbfuck that can’t operate system” while more accurate is slightly more offensive.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:00 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by :
You can imagine how offensive this term is to someone who is not an IT employee.
No. No, I can't. I can only imagine how fucking dumb someone must be to be offended by this in the first place.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:05 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I'm guessing one person out of 6,000+ employees was having a bad day and complained to management. :-)
Sadly, that's all it takes now.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:08 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Sadly, that's all it takes now.
This is probably more likely the case. My immediate supervisor, director and even the CIO are really cool and I get along with them well. But I bet either the director or CIO attended a seminar or read an article that said this is offensive.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 02:08 PM 03-18-2021
But that's what they are, literally... users. Call 'em like you see 'em!
[Reply]
Frazod 02:27 PM 03-18-2021
This is probably more likely the case. My immediate supervisor, director and even the CIO are really cool and I get along with them well. But I bet either the director or CIO attended a seminar or read an article that said this is offensive.
Had an office administrator like that. Anything the stupid bitch read in a magazine she took as gospel and immediately tried to implement it.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:10 PM 03-18-2021
So I work in IT and for as long as I've done so (20+ years), our end users are usually simply referred to as "users". This came out yesterday from our infrastructure director:

"I want to challenge all of you to stop using the word "user" when referring to employee-owners that use the systems and services we provide. You can imagine how offensive this term is to someone who is not an IT employee. Please stop using this word in presentations, training sessions, support conversations, or when simply writing a note in an incident.".....
What's the alternate word choice?
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:17 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Your Majesties
[Reply]
Dartgod 03:27 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Employee owner or customer. Rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up