ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Media Center>Games That are Hard as Hell
notorious 07:43 PM 03-17-2021
List your greatest gaming feats!

I've been going through a list of retro games that people consider HARD.

I just finished Ghosts n' Goblins (both loops) on NES. JFC it's the most frustrating game I've ever played. The controls are not great, and there are constant cheap hits. By far the angriest and happiest I've ever been playing a game.

I've 1 death'd Contra on NES. (far easier than people think)

Beat Ghouls and Ghosts on Genesis (this game is by far the best in the series)

Beat Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES (slow as ****, and pure memorization)

Mind you, it's pure attrition to get through these games. I don't use save states, I play the games as they originally would be played with checkpoints and continues.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:16 PM 03-17-2021
Kingdom of Kroz I think was the hardest one. I played those fucking Kroz games for hours as a kid.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:23 PM 03-17-2021
Kingdom Come Deliverance was an absolute bitch. Even after I finally figured it out and got skilled, it was still a bitch. Even maxed out with the best armor, there's never a point when you can't get jumped and greased by three or four peasants if you let your guard down. No matter how long you play, you never become the Dragonborn; you're always just Hal.

Sort of like real life, I guess.
[Reply]
rydogg58 08:28 PM 03-17-2021
Man, I still remember how much of an accomplishment I thought it was when I finished Zelda 2, Link to the past. I got that game for Christmas and I swear to god I spent months and months on that.

Finishing Final Fantasy 6 was probably the most fun I ever had playing a console game. This was all back before you could look up the hints and cheats online. You had to figure shit out on your own. Man, that game was fun.

Wizardry 8 was another one I spent wayyyy too much time on. I remember playing the first one on the NES and I swear I never made it past the first floor of the first dungeon. What a pile of shit that one was, but Wizardry 8 and Crusaders of the Dark Savant were phenomenal time sinks.
[Reply]
notorious 08:28 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Kingdom of Kroz I think was the hardest one. I played those ****ing Kroz games for hours as a kid.
Just watched a YouTube video of this.

Interesting.
[Reply]
notorious 08:29 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
Man, I still remember how much of an accomplishment I thought it was when I finished Zelda 2, Link to the past. I got that game for Christmas and I swear to god I spent months and months on that.

Finishing Final Fantasy 6 was probably the most fun I ever had playing a console game. This was all back before you could look up the hints and cheats online. You had to figure shit out on your own. Man, that game was fun.

Wizardry 8 was another one I spent wayyyy too much time on. I remember playing the first one on the NES and I swear I never made it past the first floor of the first dungeon. What a pile of shit that one was, but Wizardry 8 and Crusaders of the Dark Savant were phenomenal time sinks.
Zelda II is up next.

FF6 is probably my most beloved game ever. I bought that fucker for $74 at Walmart the day it was released. It was awesome. So many great parts to that game.

I still have a place in my heart for V. The jobs system, a grinders dream.
[Reply]
rydogg58 08:34 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Zelda II is up next.

FF6 is probably my most beloved game ever. I bought that fucker for $74 at Walmart the day it was released. It was awesome. So many great parts to that game.

I still have a place in my heart for V. The jobs system, a grinders dream.
It absolutely is. That storyline had me hooked from the start. It's crazy how it's probably been 25 years since I've last played it, but I can still remember the music from that game.
[Reply]
notorious 08:40 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
It absolutely is. That storyline had me hooked from the start. It's crazy how it's probably been 25 years since I've last played it, but I can still remember the music from that game.
I bought 5 and 6 in a combo pack for the PlayStation. It sucked because of the loading delays between battles, but it came with the soundtrack CD for 6.

I was in heaven. Amazing music, even today.

I remember the skyscraper in the city giving me a hard time. It’s been decades since I’ve played 6, but I remember that.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:48 PM 03-17-2021
I got past the Turbo Tunnel in Battletoads.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 09:53 PM 03-17-2021
I like those old retro games that are difficult too.

I like Williams arcade games because they are so hard. robotron 2084, Joust, Defender, and Sinistar are very unforgiving. there's tons of ports for those. the NES port of Joust is the hardest. Robotron is great because it randomizes stages. no 2 games of robotron are the same.

the hardest game I beat on NES was Nobunagas Ambition.

BITD, i thought The Immortal was the hardest game. I couldn't get past level 3

[Reply]
Fish 10:43 PM 03-17-2021
This motherfucker right here....

Rage quite this game more times than I care to remember. No saves, you play or die and start from beginning. Fucking fuck.

Here's the download:
https://www.retrogames.cz/play_677-NES.php?language=EN
[Reply]
tredadda 10:45 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
I bought 5 and 6 in a combo pack for the PlayStation. It sucked because of the loading delays between battles, but it came with the soundtrack CD for 6.

I was in heaven. Amazing music, even today.

I remember the skyscraper in the city giving me a hard time. It’s been decades since I’ve played 6, but I remember that.
I wish they would re release those original FF games on a non mobile platform. I would jump on those in a heartbeat.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:02 AM 03-18-2021
Play Adventures of Dino Riki, notorious. You will break shit
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 03:55 AM 03-18-2021
Aladdin on Sega was damn near impossible. On a more recent note... Dark Souls.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:05 AM 03-18-2021

[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up