ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Media Center>Best years in music
GayFrogs 05:38 AM 03-12-2021
This is where my brain goes to, especially when confronted with crappy modern music. When were peak years in music? I've narrowed it down a bit to these two based on how many great albums were released year by year and personal preference mixed in, so you guys don't have to wonder anymore. So, drumroll please.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
GayFrogs 06:37 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The good news is that last year, Fender Guitars was on the verge of bankruptcy but due to COVID, sold $700 million dollars in merchandise to have to their best financial year, ever! Ibanez, Gibson, Seymour Duncan and so many others in the MI business literally ran out of parts in order to keep up with the demand and many are still out of parts and electronics.

We can only hope this leads to a new generation of people that want to write and play their instruments live, slinging guitars, basses and drums onstage as opposed to a laptop and a turntable.
Just to piggy back off this, I used to scoff at how you could find good new music that's underground, but it's not even hard to find anymore if you look at youtube. Lots of amateurs make their own music, and prog rock has been taken to a new level by young musicians. It's like guitar music never stopped evolving since it was last popular, and it's exciting discovering it. (check out sarah longfield for a good rabbit hole)
[Reply]
GayFrogs 06:41 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
2001 was a great one.

Opeth's Blackwater Park
Tool's Lateralus
Daft Punk's Discovery
Radiohead's Amnesiac
Porcupine Tree's Recordings
Jay Z, Nick Cave and Devin Townsend had solid outings as well.

Hell, the Lord of the Rings and Spirited Away's soundtracks deserve love, too.
Where's toxicity?? But yes 2001 really did have some good albums despite how much bad music was being made at the time.
[Reply]
morphius 07:32 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by GayFrogs:

As for grunge being dead in '94, I never understood that. Is that because it became mainstream, and therefore wasn't cool? I like the '95 albums tripod by aic...dark as hell...mellon collie by smashing pumpkins was bloated but had some great songs. Burden in my Hand was an excellent note to go out on for the grunge era in mid-96.
I think you pretty much nailed it. They revolted against the big "arena sellout' bands therefore eliminating their own ability to grow a large fan base for long. I thought it was interesting seeing labels jump into that genre with both feet when it was obvious it had a limited fan limit before fans had to leave or look like hypocrites. Don't get me wrong, I love some of that music, but the whole model was a head scratcher to me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:56 AM 03-15-2021
Just to piggy back off this, I used to scoff at how you could find good new music that's underground, but it's not even hard to find anymore if you look at youtube. Lots of amateurs make their own music, and prog rock has been taken to a new level by young musicians. It's like guitar music never stopped evolving since it was last popular, and it's exciting discovering it. (check out sarah longfield for a good rabbit hole)
Sarah Longfeld is awesome. I watch a lot of those YT channels. I especially like Stevie T because so many people hate his schtick but holy fuck is he great at guitar.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:59 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by morphius:
I think you pretty much nailed it. They revolted against the big "arena sellout' bands therefore eliminating their own ability to grow a large fan base for long. I thought it was interesting seeing labels jump into that genre with both feet when it was obvious it had a limited fan limit before fans had to leave or look like hypocrites. Don't get me wrong, I love some of that music, but the whole model was a head scratcher to me.
Heroin had a lot to do with it's demise.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:14 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

Making a comeback. It's absolutely true. My daughter is in her room practicing her guitar right now.

You're doing it wrong. Rock is about rebellion. You need to bang on her door and threaten to send her to a military school if she doesn't stop playing that devil music. Throw in some random phrases like "Straighten up and fly right!" and "MY house MY Rules!" and occasionally grumble under your breath about "dope smoking negroes" while you're at it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
You're doing it wrong. Rock is about rebellion. You need to bang on her door and threaten to send her to a military school if she doesn't stop playing that devil music. Throw in some random phrases like "Straighten up and fly right!" and "MY house MY Rules!" and occasionally grumble under your breath about "dope smoking negroes" while you're at it.
Only if she were playing country.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:35 AM 03-15-2021
Only if she were playing country.
Yeah, I hate 99.99% of country music, too. Some of those old guys could play the hell out of a guitar though:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pants 11:40 AM 03-15-2021
Whenever that Barbie Girl song came out.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:43 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
Whenever that Barbie Girl song came out.
:-)
[Reply]
alanm 12:53 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I always thought Thin Lizzy sucked because the only song they ever played by them on the radio was "The Boys Are Back in Town." It wasn't until I heard a bootleg of a tribute concert in honor of Phil Lynott that I discovered that they had a ton of great songs.

Rainbow is another extremely underappreciated band.

p.s. Primus Sucks!
Loved Thin Lizzy!! Used to hear a lot of their stuff on the radio. Cowboy Song and Whiskey in a Jar they played mostly. FM radio at night they went deeper in their albums.
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:08 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by alanm:
Loved Thin Lizzy!! Used to hear a lot of their stuff on the radio. Cowboy Song and Whiskey in a Jar they played mostly. FM radio at night they went deeper in their albums.

Pre internet, I think the only song I had ever heard by them besides The Boys Are Back in Town was Jailbreak. And I think the only reason that they played it was because it was some sort of "deep cuts weekend" thing they were doing.

I live in TN and Nashville rock radio has always sucked. Surprisingly shitty music venues for rock, too.

More Thin Lizzy:

[Reply]
GayFrogs 02:57 PM 03-15-2021
Heroin had a lot to do with it's demise.
This is how I felt...heroin (and crack / meth with layne staley), kurt cobain being dead, pearl jam becoming terrible and that retarded song "cumbersome", people got tired of grunge. It ran out of good music.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:02 PM 03-15-2021
80's music was fun and upbeat.

Early 90's music was very dark and very depressing which is why "Grunge" had such a short run, which led to bands like Lit, Sum 41, Blink 182 and Fallout Boy's success in the late 90's because much of their music was fun and not suicidal.
[Reply]
Mennonite 03:18 PM 03-15-2021
This is how I felt...heroin (and crack / meth with layne staley), kurt cobain being dead, pearl jam becoming terrible and that retarded song "cumbersome", people got tired of grunge. It ran out of good music.

Once chicks stop digging whatever the popular fad is in music, it dies. You start off with something raw, it gets commercialized, it dies when the next big thing comes along.

Folk revival - Hippie music - Dead
Funk - Disco - Dead
Punk - New Wave - Dead
Metal - Hair Bands - Dead
Grunge - Lit, Sum 41, Blink 182, and Fallout Boy - I wish I was dead

In short, bitches insisting on "music you can dance to" ruin everything.

[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Up