ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Media Center>Best years in music
GayFrogs 05:38 AM 03-12-2021
This is where my brain goes to, especially when confronted with crappy modern music. When were peak years in music? I've narrowed it down a bit to these two based on how many great albums were released year by year and personal preference mixed in, so you guys don't have to wonder anymore. So, drumroll please.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mennonite 02:27 PM 03-12-2021
I like the American releases of those early AC/DC albums. Those albums were better without some of those songs.

Edit: while on the subject, I think Angus and the guys screwed up by not hanging on to Mutt Lange. Fly on the Wall, Flick of the Switch, and Blow Up Your Video would have all been much better received with better production.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:32 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Jailbreak 1974 kicks all kinds of ass to this day.

If we're going 70's, Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak album is definitely one of my all-time favorites. I love that album from start to finish and Phil's voice still gives me chills.
Big Thin Lizzy fan.

Huge Motörhead fan too.

And then there's Rainbow and the early Judas Priest stuff.

Crazy music coming out of the UK around 1975-1976.

Pretty much all of my favorite music is British from 1970 with Black Sabbath all the way to the mid-80's. I didn't really start appreciating American music until the late 80's / early 90's with bands like Jane's Addiction, Primus, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:32 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
What? No Goat's Head Soup???
Eh, it's the Stones, but not one of their top efforts
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:33 PM 03-12-2021
Lynyrd Skynyrd's entire career is built on the albums recorded and released between 1973-1977.
Yep.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:34 PM 03-12-2021
I was a kid, so I listened to what my parents listened to until MTV brought Motley Crue into my life with "Looks That Kill"
That's funny as shit because the very first Crue song I remember hearing was that one. Looks That Kill.
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:36 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Big Thin Lizzy fan.

Huge Motörhead fan too.

And then there's Rainbow and the early Judas Priest stuff.

Crazy music coming out of the UK around 1975-1976.

Pretty much all of my favorite music is British from 1970 with Black Sabbath all the way to the mid-80's. I didn't really start appreciating American music until the late 80's / early 90's with bands like Jane's Addiction, Primus, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I always thought Thin Lizzy sucked because the only song they ever played by them on the radio was "The Boys Are Back in Town." It wasn't until I heard a bootleg of a tribute concert in honor of Phil Lynott that I discovered that they had a ton of great songs.

Rainbow is another extremely underappreciated band.

p.s. Primus Sucks!
[Reply]
cosmo20002 03:02 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I've been looking at the release dates of some albums that i like and it's amazing how prolific some of these bands were. CCR released 6 albums in a two and a half year span for God's sake. Deep Purple released 10 albums between 68 and 75 - with three different lead singers. The Beatles had a million hits on a dozen albums all within just a few years, too.
That's pretty crazy, but a new album every year-18 months definitely wasn't unusual in the 60s/70s. Plus, a lot of these bands were basically touring non-stop. By the 90s, you were lucky to get something new every three years from the big names.

Maybe Dane can chime in, but I read a while back that the spread of FM radio and more pop/rock stations, plus the video explosion of the 80s made it so record companies could milk sales from an album a lot longer, so they didn't necessarily want a new product every year when they were still able to get decent sales from the last one.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:10 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
The 60s. The 70s.

I can't name an exact best year, but something from the "classic rock" era which is maybe late 60s to late 70s.
Fair point, especially the 70's.

But the 80's just had it all - The Eagles, Metallica, Depeche Mode, Michael Jackson (in his absolute prime), Van Halen, New Edition, N.W.A., Blondie.....literally every ricochet tangent of subgenre you can think of. Love some classic rock/pop, but for my buck the 80's wins.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:12 PM 03-12-2021
p.s. Primus Sucks!
I thought so too.

Until I saw them live.

:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:13 PM 03-12-2021
That's pretty crazy, but a new album every year-18 months definitely wasn't unusual in the 60s/70s. Plus, a lot of these bands were basically touring non-stop. By the 90s, you were lucky to get something new every three years from the big names.

Maybe Dane can chime in, but I read a while back that the spread of FM radio and more pop/rock stations, plus the video explosion of the 80s made it so record companies could milk sales from an album a lot longer, so they didn't necessarily want a new product every year when they were still able to get decent sales from the last one.
I follow a lot of small bands today and they're going back to that model. Basically in order to tour non-stop, they have to have a steady flow of new product so they're releasing an album or EP every 18 months or so.

Of course, COVID destroyed several of them. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:18 PM 03-12-2021

While there is some truth to that notion, by the 1980's, albums cost more than $1 million to record and produce, which was a hefty price tag, especially for a follow up album so labels tended to sit on their hot product for as long as possible before shelling out another million or more for a follow up album.

The majority of bands that got record deals and MTV play had a difficult time writing a suitable follow up album because in most cases, guys spent their entire lives writing their debut album but usually had only 12-18 months to write and record their follow up, which is why so many bands failed so quickly.

Also, the problems caused by Independent Promoters and radio were formidable. Indie Promoters were so powerful by the late 70's that they could actually control what was played on radio.

The most famous incident occurred upon Pink Floyd's The Wall release, in which none of the album's songs were played in Los Angeles and other big markets for at least 6 weeks after the album's release because the labels didn't want to pay Indie Promoters hundreds of thousands of dollars for something they felt was unnecessary.

But in the end, the Indie Promotors won and the labels caved.
[Reply]
EPodolak 03:19 PM 03-12-2021
The 60s. The 70s.

I can't name an exact best year, but something from the "classic rock" era which is maybe late 60s to late 70s.
Well done. ('67-'75 for me).

Funny thing though, I've got a nostalgia for 90s music now, a lot of it is fantastic. I had no interest in it at the time.

"Second wave" of Classic Rock - late 70s to '84 or so - also some great great music.
[Reply]
Mennonite 03:29 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, there was just something magical about those mid-career Scorpions albums that really spoke to me.

Love Drive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout and Love At First Sting were just an awesome mix of great production, killer guitar tones and songwriting. They just hit it out of the park during that era for me.

I'm not a huge Scorpions fan, but I saw them in the mid 90s and they put on a good show. The opening act was an Australian band called The Poor. This was the height of the grunge era and ticket sales must have been abysmal because I was able to get tickets for two dollars a piece on the day of the show. Two bucks!
[Reply]
Chiefspants 03:33 PM 03-12-2021
2001 was a great one.

Opeth's Blackwater Park
Tool's Lateralus
Daft Punk's Discovery
Radiohead's Amnesiac
Porcupine Tree's Recordings
Jay Z, Nick Cave and Devin Townsend had solid outings as well.

Hell, the Lord of the Rings and Spirited Away's soundtracks deserve love, too.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 03:35 PM 03-12-2021
I like the American releases of those early AC/DC albums. Those albums were better without some of those songs.

Edit: while on the subject, I think Angus and the guys screwed up by not hanging on to Mutt Lange. Fly on the Wall, Flick of the Switch, and Blow Up Your Video would have all been much better received with better production.
Don't have a problem with the production on Flick or Video. The production on Fly on the Wall sounds like a hot flaming dumpster filled with people creating a new kind of AIDS.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up