ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Best years in music
GayFrogs 05:38 AM 03-12-2021
This is where my brain goes to, especially when confronted with crappy modern music. When were peak years in music? I've narrowed it down a bit to these two based on how many great albums were released year by year and personal preference mixed in, so you guys don't have to wonder anymore. So, drumroll please.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
rabblerouser 01:00 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by Oz_Chief:
1983 was up there for me. Albums by:

Ozzy
Scorpions
Quiet Riot
Def Leppard
The Police
Bowie
Robert Plant

I think Quiet Riot Metal Health was the first tape I ever bought.
Private Dancer by Tina Turner
ZZ Top Eliminator
Metallica Kill Em All
Motley Crue Shout At The Devil
Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood
teh first Violent Femmes
Pink Floyd Final Cut
Billy Joel Innocent Man
KISS Lick It Up
The self-titled Genesis with "That's All" on it is GREAT
Cindi Lauper She's So Unusual
Julian Lennon Valotte
Iron Maiden Piece of Mind
Billy Idol Rebel Yell
Huey Lewis Sports
Stevie Nicks The Wild Heart

are all great and from 1983 iirc.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 01:03 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
For all their faults, the baby boomer generation had great music. I mean, ****, can you imagine turning on the radio in, lets's say, 1972 and getting new CCR, Rolling Stones, Zep, Black Sabbath, and Alice Cooper Group tunes? Changing the channel and getting some kickass Motown stuff. Changing it again and getting some old school country.
It's still like that at my house. Approx 7000 vinyl records and approx 10000 CDs...
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:16 PM 03-12-2021
Rabble is right. there's plenty of great modern music, you just have to go to it now, it won't ever come to you. "Popular" music is a wasteland of garbage.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:18 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by Oz_Chief:
1983 was up there for me. Albums by:

Ozzy
Scorpions
Quiet Riot
Def Leppard
The Police
Bowie
Robert Plant

I think Quiet Riot Metal Health was the first tape I ever bought.
For me, it's 1980:

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Judas Priest - British Steel
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

All 5 released in 1980. There are several more but those are my top 5.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:20 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Rabble is right. there's plenty of great modern music, you just have to go to it now, it won't ever come to you. "Popular" music is a wasteland of garbage.
People have always claimed that "music sucks", regardless of the era.

The great thing about the evolution of the music business is that it's easier than ever to find music that suits one's taste but it can take a little digging, unless you're willing to search out forums or threads like these that can uncover all kinds of gems.
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:27 PM 03-12-2021
Will always be today due to the catalog and inspirations artists have to draw from

There's definitely genre dips along the way but its rare that I purchase anything that's been released in years prior unless its super special to me

If we're going off nostalgia, then yeah, mid 80s metal and early 90s death metal for me
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:31 PM 03-12-2021
For me, it's 1980:

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Judas Priest - British Steel
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

All 5 released in 1980. There are several more but those are my top 5.
1980 was also a watershed year for me as well. I'd pretty much lost all interest in pop and rock music from around 1977 to early 1980 and instead, focused on Prog Rock, Jazz Fusion, Jazz guitarists like Wes Montgomery and George Benson and Steely Dan.

That all changed once I heard Heaven & Hell, Blizzard of Ozz, The Scorpions Animal Magnetism, Pat Traver's Smokin'Whisky & Drinking Cocaine and Van Halen's Women and Children First.

All of the sudden, all was right with the world.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:33 PM 03-12-2021
The correct answer is the entirety of the 80's. Show me another decade that spawned so many styles and had so many different types all simultaneously popular at the same time.
[Reply]
Buddy Rich 01:34 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

The great thing about the evolution of the music business is that it's easier than ever to find music that suits one's taste but it can take a little digging, unless you're willing to search out forums or threads like these that can uncover all kinds of gems.
He's dead on. There's more great music being made now then ever before but it doesn't come to you. I spend a lot of money at bandcamp (which is all independent or small label).
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:38 PM 03-12-2021

Yep. Music isn't the monolithic medium it used to be. There's literally something for everybody, every tiny little niche can be indulged by someone.

It's just that you have to go search according to your tastes because there's so much of it, it would never find it's way to mass distribution.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:43 PM 03-12-2021
1980 was also a watershed year for me as well. I'd pretty much lost all interest in pop and rock music from around 1977 to early 1980 and instead, focused on Prog Rock, Jazz Fusion, Jazz guitarists like Wes Montgomery and George Benson and Steely Dan.

That all changed once I heard Heaven & Hell, Blizzard of Ozz, The Scorpions Animal Magnetism, Pat Traver's Smokin'Whisky & Drinking Cocaine and Van Halen's Women and Children First.

All of the sudden, all was right with the world.
Animal Magnetism is a great album, for some reason it's one of the few Scorpions albums I don't own. I'm going to have to rectify that..

And Pat Travers is crazy good. I love that tune.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 01:50 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
The correct answer is the entirety of the 80's. Show me another decade that spawned so many styles and had so many different types all simultaneously popular at the same time.
The 60s. The 70s.

I can't name an exact best year, but something from the "classic rock" era which is maybe late 60s to late 70s.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:53 PM 03-12-2021
Animal Magnetism is a great album, for some reason it's one of the few Scorpions albums I don't own. I'm going to have to rectify that..

And Pat Travers is crazy good. I love that tune.
Pat Thrall kicks so much ass on the Smokin' Whisky guitar solo.

I was 14 years old at that the time and had heard every great guitarist, from jazz to blues to rock, but that guitar tone and solo just blew me away. It was so honest and melodic while having so much attitude that it really affected my playing style from that moment forward.

Van Halen's Fair Warning was the same. I'd always enjoyed Van Halen and Eddie's guitar riffs (I can't spell out r.i.f.f.a.g.e.) but it wasn't until I heard Dirty Movies, Sinner's Swing! and Hear About It Later that I really got into them because there was just so much anger and attitude in those songs and solos, something I didn't hear in 50's, 60's and 70's guitar driven music, whether it was pop, rock or jazz.

That year really changed my life.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:57 PM 03-12-2021
Yeah, there was just something magical about those mid-career Scorpions albums that really spoke to me.

Love Drive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout and Love At First Sting were just an awesome mix of great production, killer guitar tones and songwriting. They just hit it out of the park during that era for me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:57 PM 03-12-2021
Pat Thrall kicks so much ass on the Smokin' Whisky guitar solo.

I was 14 years old at that the time and had heard every great guitarist, from jazz to blues to rock, but that guitar tone and solo just blew me away. It was so honest and melodic while having so much attitude that it really affected my playing style from that moment forward.

Van Halen's Fair Warning was the same. I'd always enjoyed Van Halen and Eddie's guitar riffs (I can't spell out r.i.f.f.a.g.e.) but it wasn't until I heard Dirty Movies, Sinner's Swing! and Hear About It Later that I really got into them because there was just so much anger and attitude in those songs and solos, something I didn't hear in 50's, 60's and 70's guitar driven music, whether it was pop, rock or jazz.

That year really changed my life.
The opening riff of Snortin Whiskey is so freakin tasty. Stoner stuff is my main fun and I love those groovy bluesy riffs...
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up