ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Media Center>Best years in music
GayFrogs 05:38 AM 03-12-2021
This is where my brain goes to, especially when confronted with crappy modern music. When were peak years in music? I've narrowed it down a bit to these two based on how many great albums were released year by year and personal preference mixed in, so you guys don't have to wonder anymore. So, drumroll please.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:22 AM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by GayFrogs:
This is where my brain goes to, especially when confronted with crappy modern music. When were peak years in music? I've narrowed it down a bit to these two based on how many great albums were released year by year and personal preference mixed in, so you guys don't have to wonder anymore. So, drumroll please.

Spoiler!
1994 is a great year, but I'm a grunge fan.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:35 AM 03-12-2021
Can't disagree with the op at all, but if I had to dial it in even tighter... I'm going with the 80's

From pop to rock to soul, there were tons of legendary acts either in their prime or breaking onto the scene in every genre during that decade
[Reply]
GayFrogs 10:40 AM 03-12-2021
The 80s are hit and miss for me. I love prince but not big into the legends of metallica or michael jackson. I like how the alternative thing was just starting in the late 80s, some of that is good. It might just be me but hardly anything grabbed me from that whole decade. Maybe I should've been born earlier...I'm a 90s kid :-)
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:46 AM 03-12-2021
I would say end is 1989. The only good album I can find after 1989 is 1992-Whitesnake-Slip of the Tongue.

After that . Ick. grunge, rap, hip hop. Nothing. Never understood U2, INXS

And yes, 80s is hit and miss. Lot of one hit bands. Come on Eileen.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:50 AM 03-12-2021
For all their faults, the baby boomer generation had great music. I mean, fuck, can you imagine turning on the radio in, lets's say, 1972 and getting new CCR, Rolling Stones, Zep, Black Sabbath, and Alice Cooper Group tunes? Changing the channel and getting some kickass Motown stuff. Changing it again and getting some old school country.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:58 AM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
I would say end is 1989. The only good album I can find after 1989 is 1992-Whitesnake-Slip of the Tongue.
90-91 had some great albums if you like hard rock.

ACDC - "Razor's Edge"
Metallica - Black Album
Alice in Chains - Facelift & Dirt
black sabbath - dehumanizer
Ozzy - No More Tears
Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion
[Reply]
Mennonite 03-12-2021, 11:07 AM
This message has been deleted by Mennonite. Reason: ;
EPodolak 11:43 AM 03-12-2021
'68 and '73 were great, but pretty much all years from the '60s and '70s qualify IMO.
[Reply]
Oz_Chief 12:11 PM 03-12-2021
1983 was up there for me. Albums by:

Ozzy
Scorpions
Quiet Riot
Def Leppard
The Police
Bowie
Robert Plant

I think Quiet Riot Metal Health was the first tape I ever bought.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:27 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
1994 is a great year, but I'm a grunge fan.
Grunge died in 1994.

1992 was a GREAT year. I remember watching the 1992 VMAs the same week my 8th grade year started :

The Black Crowes opened with Remedy, Chris Robinson in white feather boa, glitter black shirt and leather pants with pot leaves up and down the sides...

Lenny Kravitz did "Are You Gonna Go My Way" with John Paul Fucking Jones on bass.

Pearl Jam did "Animal" and then Neil Young walked out and did "Rocking In The Free World" with them.

U2 (with host Dana Carvey on a 2nd set of drums) did "Even Better Than The Real Thing"

Def Leppard did "Let's Get Rocked", iirc

Milton Berle and RuPaul almost got into a fistfight while introducing an award winner (my money was on Uncle Milty.)

Nirvana did "Lithium" and at the end Krist Novoselic knocked himself out by throwing his bass in the air and trying to catch it with his head, and Dave Grohl taunted Axl Rose from the stage.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, not to be outdone, get the entire P-Funk All Star crew onstage for "Give It Away".

Elton John did some maudlin thing.

Eric Clapton did "Tears In Heaven"

Then, Elton John joined Guns N Roses and a goddamn symphony orchestra for "November Rain."

that was ONE SHOW. On MTV.

In 1992.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:29 PM 03-12-2021

You aren't looking very hard then.

Some bands you might like :

Rival Sons
Dirty Honey
Steepwater Band
Steel Panther
The Last Vegas
Blackberry Smoke
Gov't Mule
JJ Grey & Mofro

check 'em out.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:31 PM 03-12-2021
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
You aren't looking very hard then.

Some bands you might like :

Rival Sons
Dirty Honey
Steepwater Band
Steel Panther
The Last Vegas
Blackberry Smoke
Gov't Mule
JJ Grey & Mofro

check 'em out.
I will have to. If it was not on KCFX or KYYS...I didnt hear it.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:37 PM 03-12-2021
I will have to. If it was not on KCFX or KYYS...I didnt hear it.
I grew up on both of those stations (I remember Max, Tanna, and Moffit on KYYS KY102.1), KY was more "hard rock" while 101.1 was always "Classic ROck" (didn't they INVENT the format?), then 98.9 came along and finally we could flip between those 3 stations and Z-Rock on AM, then 96.5 The Buzz came along, and you could actually get by on just AM/FM for about a minute...
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:46 PM 03-12-2021
I am sure tanna does not look like she did.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:55 PM 03-12-2021
I am sure tanna does not look like she did.
None of us do, brother.

I used to be in 32/32s, by the time of the Texans playoff game at Arrowhead I was up to 36/32s, now back down to 34/32s...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Up