ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 56
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>I want to show you my newest sports card...
arrowheadnation 01:18 AM 05-21-2020
The sports card market is absolutely booming right now. I sold off enough of my other stuff to buy this. There are only 10 of them. It is indescribably beautiful.

[Reply]
ghak99 12:11 AM 07-20-2020
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
Royals from the 2015 world series can be had extremely cheap, although we do have one of the hotter prospects in baseball right now. Bobby Witt Jr. Bowman Chrome stuff has hit the market and he is the second highest value behind the Yankees international guy Jasson Dominguez. For that matter, minus Mahomes, Kelce, and Tyreek; Chiefs players from this past year can be purchased quite reasonably. I bought a Damian Williams PSA 10 auto rookie numbered out of 10 copies for $60 a couple months back. That is a steam IMO for a pretty unsung hero. Unfortunately his hobby love is going to be glossed over heavily this year by Clyde Edwards-Helaire
I wouldn't mind finding a couple cards to pay a little tribute to the HDH trio. Have some memorabilia type stuff, but no cards on them.

I've been casually watching for a Witt Jr. in Bowman Sapphire, but nearly every one of them that stays reasonably priced is terribly off centered.
[Reply]
tatorhog 07:46 AM 07-20-2020
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
Probably around $100k, but the bulk of that value is in 3 cards. I have 51 Bowman Mickey Mantle rookie, a pretty high end Lebron Upper Deck rookie auto, and the cornerstone of my collection is a triple autograph card signed by Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron.

Thats crazy that the Mantle isn't considered your cornerstone, but I also get it. Hell the exquisite Lebron rookie just auctioned off for 1.8mil.
[Reply]
DJay23 09:57 AM 07-20-2020
I just noticed this thread. I hadn't realized the sports card market was what it is until Adam Lefkoe mentioned it several weeks ago. I've since gotten into it. I like trying to speculate on rookie cards that I can turn for a profit down the road but that I also don't mind holding on to because i like the player.

I have created spread sheets for the cards I'm interested in and use that to determine whether I should be buying or selling. Right now I'm just getting in so its all buying but its fun to calculate average sales prices and then hunt for a bargain or look for the market on a card to sag.

So far I'm starting on ungraded cards. I study them as carefully as one can through pictures. I won't buy for example if pictures are blurry or if a picture cuts off one or more corners. Most times I won't buy if the pictures of the card are taken in sleeves and cases (unless I"m checking out a graded card). I also look for sellers who post pictures of each corner and different angles of the surfaces to show for blemishes. I'll only purchase if the sales price is around what I've calculated to the break even point for a psa 9. So I factor in PA sales tax, grading costs, postal insurance to ship it to a grader, shipping cost from the seller, shipping cost to the grading house. Generally most cards go for just a bit over what figure I come up with, but the hunt for a deal is a part of the fun for me.

Using this method I've landed 2 Mahomes Donruss 327 Rookies, a Zion Panini Mosaic 209 base, Zion Mosaic 265 Debut cards (Green and Orange variants), Panini Chronicles CEH Auto Patch/49, and a Salvy 2016 Diamond Kings Auto Patch/15 (which is more for sentimentality). I also grabbed a couple of Joe Burrow Base cards and took a flyer on a graded Cole McDonald. All but one of them look to be psa 9s at the very least, and if I'm right about that, I've effectively broken even. I just need to wait for them to increase in value (as I'm expecting those cards to do). I know, I know I've been warned already about buying raw cards expecting them to grade out, but I also know I'm not going to win every time I play the lottery either.

I'm still looking to grab a Mahomes Optic #177 rookie and a Zion Prizm #248. The value on both of those cards is shooting to the roof right now though. Gotta stay patient.
[Reply]
tatorhog 10:13 AM 07-20-2020
Originally Posted by DJay23:
I just noticed this thread. I hadn't realized the sports card market was what it is until Adam Lefkoe mentioned it several weeks ago. I've since gotten into it. I like trying to speculate on rookie cards that I can turn for a profit down the road but that I also don't mind holding on to because i like the player.

I have created spread sheets for the cards I'm interested in and use that to determine whether I should be buying or selling. Right now I'm just getting in so its all buying but its fun to calculate average sales prices and then hunt for a bargain or look for the market on a card to sag.

So far I'm starting on ungraded cards. I study them as carefully as one can through pictures. I won't buy for example if pictures are blurry or if a picture cuts off one or more corners. Most times I won't buy if the pictures of the card are taken in sleeves and cases (unless I"m checking out a graded card). I also look for sellers who post pictures of each corner and different angles of the surfaces to show for blemishes. I'll only purchase if the sales price is around what I've calculated to the break even point for a psa 9. So I factor in PA sales tax, grading costs, postal insurance to ship it to a grader, shipping cost from the seller, shipping cost to the grading house. Generally most cards go for just a bit over what figure I come up with, but the hunt for a deal is a part of the fun for me.

Using this method I've landed 2 Mahomes Donruss 327 Rookies, a Zion Panini Mosaic 209 base, Zion Mosaic 265 Debut cards (Green and Orange variants), Panini Chronicles CEH Auto Patch/49, and a Salvy 2016 Diamond Kings Auto Patch/15 (which is more for sentimentality). I also grabbed a couple of Joe Burrow Base cards and took a flyer on a graded Cole McDonald. All but one of them look to be psa 9s at the very least, and if I'm right about that, I've effectively broken even. I just need to wait for them to increase in value (as I'm expecting those cards to do). I know, I know I've been warned already about buying raw cards expecting them to grade out, but I also know I'm not going to win every time I play the lottery either.

I'm still looking to grab a Mahomes Optic #177 rookie and a Zion Prizm #248. The value on both of those cards is shooting to the roof right now though. Gotta stay patient.
vintagecardprices is your friend. They do the heavy lifting and do a pretty good job tracking realized sales prices from most major auction houses as well as Ebay for graded cards. To me, its the most accurate "price guide" there is, although its not going to filter out shill bidding, but thats its own monster.

My experience with chasing rookies is to guess which one will be picked up by the registry collectors as the official rookie and try to grab it before it gets hot. For example, I bought a bunch of Mahomes psa10 cards in 2017 when they were $10-$20 each. I sold all but one off at the end of 2018 and made a killing (sadly nothing like what it would have been if I were selling now though). I kept the silver Prizm once it was recognized as his official rookie for the key card sets. I think I gave somewhere around $15 for it, and the last one to sell on ebay just closed at $6200, and there is one right now with 5 days to go and its at $6400.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:10 PM 07-20-2020
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
Thats crazy that the Mantle isn't considered your cornerstone, but I also get it. Hell the exquisite Lebron rookie just auctioned off for 1.8mil.

Holy shit! How did I miss that story.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 05:09 PM 08-23-2020
The all time highest selling sports card is no longer a t206 Honus Wagner....it’s not a babe Ruth or even a mickey mantle.....it’s a Mike Trout, for $3.8 million.

https://news.yahoo.com/rare-mike-tro...193916056.html
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 08-23-2020, 09:08 PM
This message has been deleted by arrowheadnation. Reason: duplicate
Easy 6 05:51 PM 10-02-2020
Picked up a pack of 2020 Score at Casey's on a whim while getting breakfast the other morning, nabbed not one but TWO Joe Burrow rookies... whats even better one is his Ohio State card, the other LSU

But I simply do NOT understand whats going on with card values anymore, I'm seeing ungraded prices on both anywhere from $30 to $130... can anyone make sense of this nonsense for me?

https://www.google.com/search?q=scor...w=1366&bih=657

So then I got curious about my Absolute Rookie Roundup Mahomes card, ungraded asking price at $150... some of the graded ones are pulling $850, and I only paid $20 for this bad boy :-)

https://www.ebay.com/i/293640437134?...SABEgJUCfD_BwE
[Reply]
TambaBerry 05:53 PM 10-02-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Picked up a pack of 2020 Score at Casey's on a whim while getting breakfast the other morning, nabbed not one but TWO Joe Burrow rookies... whats even better one is his Ohio State card, the other LSU

But I simply do NOT understand whats going on with card values anymore, I'm seeing ungraded prices on both anywhere from $30 to $130... can anyone make sense of this nonsense for me?

https://www.google.com/search?q=scor...w=1366&bih=657

So then I got curious about my Absolute Rookie Roundup Mahomes card, ungraded asking price at $150... some of the graded ones are pulling $850, and I only paid $20 for this bad boy :-)

https://www.ebay.com/i/293640437134?...SABEgJUCfD_BwE
have to look at ebay sold to find the comps for it or use a site like 130point
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:02 PM 10-02-2020
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
have to look at ebay sold to find the comps for it or use a site like 130point
Thanks, don't know jack about ebay, but I'll check 130 out... I'm just a dinosaur with the new market, dont understand it at all

Back in In my day :-), Becketts was the only thing you really needed
[Reply]
crispystl 06:38 PM 10-02-2020
vintagecardprices is your friend. They do the heavy lifting and do a pretty good job tracking realized sales prices from most major auction houses as well as Ebay for graded cards. To me, its the most accurate "price guide" there is, although its not going to filter out shill bidding, but thats its own monster.

My experience with chasing rookies is to guess which one will be picked up by the registry collectors as the official rookie and try to grab it before it gets hot. For example, I bought a bunch of Mahomes psa10 cards in 2017 when they were $10-$20 each. I sold all but one off at the end of 2018 and made a killing (sadly nothing like what it would have been if I were selling now though). I kept the silver Prizm once it was recognized as his official rookie for the key card sets. I think I gave somewhere around $15 for it, and the last one to sell on ebay just closed at $6200, and there is one right now with 5 days to go and its at $6400.
In your opinion, what is the "official" rookie card for Burrow?
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 06:45 PM 10-02-2020
Originally Posted by crispystl:
In your opinion, what is the "official" rookie card for Burrow?
His most valuable will end up being his National Treasures RPA.

Also looking for Optic Rated Rookie and Prizm, none of which have been released yet.
[Reply]
DRM08 07:48 PM 10-02-2020
Tip of the cap to you. Well done! Wish I thought about investing in this stuff a few years ago.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 09:13 PM 10-02-2020
Thanks, don't know jack about ebay, but I'll check 130 out... I'm just a dinosaur with the new market, dont understand it at all

Back in In my day :-), Becketts was the only thing you really needed
Cards are my side hustle, pulled a pretty sick baseball card and pulled in 5 grand off of it
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:36 PM 10-02-2020
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Cards are my side hustle, pulled a pretty sick baseball card and pulled in 5 grand off of it
Oh man I dream and cream about a score like that, gingerly pulling some kinda "moon rock" card out of some pack... a piece of game jersey, game ball and autograph all in one

Been searching for that whale going on almost 50 years, I've been cultivating this caper my whole life

[Reply]
TambaBerry 09:38 AM 10-03-2020
Oh man I dream and cream about a score like that, gingerly pulling some kinda "moon rock" card out of some pack... a piece of game jersey, game ball and autograph all in one

Been searching for that whale going on almost 50 years, I've been cultivating this caper my whole life

Man it was crazy couldn't believe it. I have a hobby box of bowman chrome just sitting here staring at me
[Reply]
Page 15 of 56
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up