Page 510 of 934
« First < 10410460500506507508509510 511512513514520560610 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 01:50 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by In58men:
Correct, it’s basically similar as stocks. You can purchase, but won’t know when it’ll profitable.

Maybe somebody here has more knowledge, that’s why I ask.
No, it's not the same. When purchasing a stock you should have an expectation of return and the timeline. It's not guaranteed, that's why there's risk but you can use financial data of a company to forecast.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:01 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
No, it's not the same. When purchasing a stock you should have an expectation of return and the timeline. It's not guaranteed, that's why there's risk but you can use financial data of a company to forecast.
In theory you should be able to use fundamentals in commodity markets to forecast similar moves. It doesn't work, but I don't know the numbers compared to stock earnings.

But it's an entirely different thing. The goal of a stock is maximize net earnings, suggesting long term growth. The goal of a commodity market is merely to standardize trading. Structurally they cannot continually rise like a stock has the possibility to.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:31 PM 02-20-2021
Am I reading the home office tax write off stuff correctly. That it only applies to the self employed?

Wife and I have 2 dedicated offices, not bedrooms doubling as offices, but true office spaces. Was hoping there was some type of write off for that based on sq ft.
[Reply]
scho63 02:54 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Am I reading the home office tax write off stuff correctly. That it only applies to the self employed?

Wife and I have 2 dedicated offices, not bedrooms doubling as offices, but true office spaces. Was hoping there was some type of write off for that based on sq ft.
I may be wrong with all the tax law changes but I thought if you had a home office and used it for your employer, you could claim the percentage of time you used it for business. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:08 PM 02-20-2021

So I’m taking it you are a W-2 employee and you want to deduct your office space. Am I understanding that correctly?
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:11 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So I’m taking it you are a W-2 employee and you want to deduct your office space. Am I understanding that correctly?
That's right
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:13 PM 02-20-2021

Quick research looks like that’s correct.

It did look like there was some tax free reimbursement opportunities if you could pry it out of them.

Originally Posted by scho63:
I may be wrong with all the tax law changes but I thought if you had a home office and used it for your employer, you could claim the percentage of time you used it for business. :-)
That went away with the Last tax bill.
[Reply]
scho63 03:16 PM 02-20-2021
That went away with the Last tax bill.
They're always fucking the little guy! :-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:19 PM 02-20-2021
Quick research looks like that’s correct.

It did look like there was some tax free reimbursement opportunities if you could pry it out of them.
Likely unintended but impeccable timing nonetheless

*I legit expired every possible spelling of impeccable that I could think of before finally Googling that bitch. RIP youth brain
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:21 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
They're always fucking the little guy! :-)
I get why they did it. Made the standard bigger and said all that other crap needs to go. Which as a guy that’s prepared a return I can agree with.

But I can’t believe they didn’t do ANYTHING for the WFH crowd, which affected a fuckton of folks. Now naturally all these employers now that they’ve figured it out are looking at it as the opportunity to eliminate rent expense on the backs of employees. Yay.

That’s a joke that there isn’t any tax relief for the WFH crowd. Incredible.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:22 PM 02-20-2021
Likely unintended but impeccable timing nonetheless

*I legit expired every possible spelling of impeccable that I could think of before finally Googling that bitch. RIP youth brain
You know what? Until you mentioned it I had forgotten I once had youth brain.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 03:49 PM 02-20-2021
For everyone in CCIV. Bloomberg just announced the deal is almost done and could be announced Tuesday. Stock is about to go crazy Monday.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:58 PM 02-20-2021

I could be wrong, but I think there's a secret downside to doing that sort of thing. If you eventually sell the house, then it has negative tax implications since you've essentially depreciated that space. At least, that's how it works with my apartment. If I ever sell my house, I'll have a big tax bill because I've been depreciating it for two decades (or whatever my account does with it).
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:09 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
For everyone in CCIV. Bloomberg just announced the deal is almost done and could be announced Tuesday. Stock is about to go crazy Monday.
$150 within a month.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:10 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I could be wrong, but I think there's a secret downside to doing that sort of thing. If you eventually sell the house, then it has negative tax implications since you've essentially depreciated that space. At least, that's how it works with my apartment. If I ever sell my house, I'll have a big tax bill because I've been depreciating it for two decades (or whatever my account does with it).
They have a simplified square footage calculation that doesn’t depreciate the home anymore.

Back when you would get depreciation recapture. I don’t know of anyone that actually depreciated though.

EDIT: link.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...fice-deduction
[Reply]
Page 510 of 934
« First < 10410460500506507508509510 511512513514520560610 > Last »
Up