ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Nzoner's Game Room>New IPhone SE. Experience with one?
gblowfish 12:20 PM 04-15-2021
Mrs B and I have always had the same kind of cellphone. Right now we've got IPhone 6s which are old. Her battery won't hold a charge for long, and mine is literally coming apart. So I contacted Straight Talk -who we have our cell service with- and bought 2 iPhone SE 64GB phones for $149 ea. Anybody have this phone? Reviews look pretty good, seems to be a lot like my current phone only updated with newer guts. Hopefully I didn't make a terrible consumer purchase!
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:28 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by J Diddy:
Remember the good old days when you could have a spare battery to pop in them?
Yeah! The Motorola Star Tec, carried an extra battery around because they only lasted for half a day. :-) Then they came out with a big hump back battery for it.
[Reply]
ChiefsHawk 06:59 AM 04-16-2021
I'll start by saying I work for Apple. If you just use the phone for basics and are not on it the SE is a good option. I tend to suggest if you are the type that will keep it for a long time I would go with the iphone 12...better battery, newer hardware which means you'll be able to get the latest iOS longer plus 5g compatible.
[Reply]
bigjosh 07:19 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsHawk:
I'll start by saying I work for Apple. If you just use the phone for basics and are not on it the SE is a good option. I tend to suggest if you are the type that will keep it for a long time I would go with the iphone 12...better battery, newer hardware which means you'll be able to get the latest iOS longer plus 5g compatible.

Thats good information, i was under the impression that the new se was 5g compatible. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:10 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
iOS just drives me crazy to be honest. I have to have complete control and ability to customize my OS experience the way I want. The only way I've ever been satisfied with iOS is to jailbreak it. And that becomes a pain in the ass over time. The crazy thing is that I manage Apple devices at work. I've actually been a Apple Certified Mac Technician for almost 15 years. Certified to do warranty repair on any current Apple laptop or desktop. But I haven't owned an iOS device in probably 15 years. I know it's gotten much better recently. But my last 3 phones were Galaxy S3, S5, S8. Kinda thought my next phone would be a Pixel 5, but then this deal fell in my lap. Couldn't be happier.
That used to be me. Of course, I've struggled all my life with extreme OCD. Part of me getting past that was to give up some control. Tech was a particularly big problem for me - tweaking UI's, overclocking, etc. I would spend every waking moment (and a lot of time where I shouldn't have been awake) fiddling with shit.

I made a conscious decision about 10 years ago to "simplify" my tech experience in order to overcome the obsessing, so I gave away my home-built PC, bought an iMac, and traded my Samsung phone for an iPhone.

The good news for me is that it worked. Apple has been really therapeutic for me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:11 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
Thats good information, i was under the impression that the new se was 5g compatible. Thanks for the info.
Nope, only the 12 series have 5G.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:31 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Yeah! The Motorola Star Tec, carried an extra battery around because they only lasted for half a day. :-) Then they came out with a big hump back battery for it.
I remember the complaints in the early iPhone days was that you couldn’t replace the battery yourself

Then they figured out everyone just upgrades their phones every few years anyways.....
[Reply]
Cntrygal 09:50 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You really should. The code base for those phones is no longer being maintained. It's really not a good idea to get that far behind.

(sigh) .... Yeah, I know... (sigh) almost all of the aps don't work because I can't get any updates. BUT, I really don't use them anyway.

I use it as a phone, texting, camera and once in awhile I'll jump on to the web to look something up. I really hate switching out my electronics and having to relearn how to use it. lol

:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:52 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Cntrygal:
(sigh) .... Yeah, I know... (sigh) almost all of the aps don't work because I can't get any updates. BUT, I really don't use them anyway.

I use it as a phone, texting, camera and once in awhile I'll jump on to the web to look something up. I really hate switching out my electronics and having to relearn how to use it. lol

:-)
That's the nice thing about iOS, there isn't much to relearn when upgrading. It's fairly intuitive. The big things would be going from the home button to something brand now (no home button, no Touch ID) and the subtle changes in the interface like accessing command center and stuff like that.

If you're using Safari and Messages, you should know that they've both been patched multiple times for vulnerabilities so it really is in your best interest to update.
[Reply]
crispystl 06:05 PM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Nice review. That makes me feel better. My Iphone 6 has been fine for what I use it for. Mostly phone calls, occasional text and taking a few pictures of my kitties mostly. Sounds like this one will fit in just fine. Have to make sure I brush up on how to migrate the data from the old one to the new one. Bluetooth I believe...
I sell iPads/iPhones on the side (I've sold several of the 2002 SE's actually) If you use your phone for mostly talk and you're fine with the screen size on your 6s you'll be totally happy with the new SE.
[Reply]
gblowfish 06:44 PM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by crispystl:
I sell iPads/iPhones on the side (I've sold several of the 2002 SE's actually) If you use your phone for mostly talk and you're fine with the screen size on your 6s you'll be totally happy with the new SE.
Thanks man. I use my Mac Book Pro at work for most stuff. I have an IPad to just do casual surfing, and I use my phone for a phone and to take a few pics here and there. Don't get mail on my phone, or do games or any of that stuff. I'm pretty old school. Phone is for use as a phone.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up