ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>Wireless outdoor security camera.
lewdog 07:35 AM 09-09-2018
Looking to add one camera that videos down my walkway and hits my driveway. Want something wireless for ease of setup.

Any recommendations? Things to be aware of with wireless cameras?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 07:39 AM 09-09-2018
We use the Arlo Pro 2 and are very happy with it. Only downside is that it is motion activated - which means there are some false alarms when an animal moves in front of it.

I have video of a hummingbird just staring into it, wasps bussing around it, and one where a frog was trying to fuck it.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:01 AM 09-09-2018
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
We use the Arlo Pro 2 and are very happy with it. Only downside is that it is motion activated - which means there are some false alarms when an animal moves in front of it.

I have video of a hummingbird just staring into it, wasps bussing around it, and one where a frog was trying to fuck it.
Actually I don’t mind that but do you know how far the motion activation reaches? Some cameras record 24/7 and I’m worried about that just wasting storage space and data so motion activated would be ok with me.

What’s battery life on those?
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:20 AM 09-09-2018
I just got my whole house covered with a ring system just yesterday.

The camera works awesome
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:51 AM 09-09-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Actually I don’t mind that but do you know how far the motion activation reaches? Some cameras record 24/7 and I’m worried about that just wasting storage space and data so motion activated would be ok with me.

What’s battery life on those?
It will notice when someone is in the top left of the frame, and begins recording by the time they reach that bend in the walk. We have to charge the one at the front door about every three months, it goes off a lot due to birds and deliveries. The two we have in the back are going on 6 months since the last charge, and are down to about 15%.

[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:53 AM 09-09-2018
I have the ring video with night vision and spotlight when motion is detected.

It works rather well, and I can be at work and see "live" when motion detected from the app on my phone.

The only downside, is that I have a small tree in the line of sight that blows in the wind and triggers the video in the midday (often). There's a way to adjust the sensitivity, I believe, but I've been too lazy to check it out.

That all said, for 160-170 bucks - fantastic. Probably eventually get another for my back patio.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:20 PM 09-09-2018
Blink was recommended to me more than once as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Home-Se...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:39 PM 09-10-2018
We like our Arlo Pros.
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:00 PM 09-10-2018
I had to troubleshoot an issue with a guys wifi system at his house. Found out that the wireless cameras work on the same frequency and can flood the area and **** with the wifi signal. Just something to consider.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 07:28 PM 09-10-2018
Ring is a tad bit slow. It might be my internet speed, but I think it is more often my phone slowing it down and I am almost always on 4g.
[Reply]
Miles 07:48 PM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
We like our Arlo Pros.
Any issues with them not waking quick enough for motion? I researched these maybe 2 years back and seemed to be the problem is you’d just catch someone walking away after coming to your porch (think this may have just been no pro models).
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:07 AM 09-11-2018
Originally Posted by Miles:
Any issues with them not waking quick enough for motion? I researched these maybe 2 years back and seemed to be the problem is you’d just catch someone walking away after coming to your porch (think this may have just been no pro models).
Once in a while that happens, but usually it's good.
[Reply]
PmCakes 03:21 PM 09-11-2018
wish the neighborhood would invest in cameras that catch every license plate that enter the street
[Reply]
lewdog 09:06 PM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
It will notice when someone is in the top left of the frame, and begins recording by the time they reach that bend in the walk. We have to charge the one at the front door about every three months, it goes off a lot due to birds and deliveries. The two we have in the back are going on 6 months since the last charge, and are down to about 15%.

Is that your place?

Nice red door!
[Reply]
Indian Chief 09:30 PM 09-12-2018
I'm in the same boat. Probably need about 3 cameras for solid coverage. Have you settled on anything lewdog?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up