ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 101 of 386
« First < 5191979899100101 102103104105111151201 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
notorious 04:13 PM 08-22-2017
Let's see what they've lost for the stupid plot of capturing a zombie to show to cunt Queen.

1. Several good men
2. A dragon (FUCK!)
3. My enjoyment of the show without rolling my eyes

Not to mention they get a fucking ship to send everyone home after the dragons made the flight in no time. Let's put the Queen of everything on a boat with a huge fleet of the enemy around instead of flying her back on a dragon! I noticed the no horse thing and my wife wanted to choke me because I ruin shows for her by pointing out the obvious.

Come on. I want to love this shit, but man, it's getting dumb.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:14 PM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Only Ned. Even Catelyn is still alive in the books.
Yeah. Yuck.

I always felt like the whole creation of LSH was inspired from his remorse that Cat died in the RW.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:15 PM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
The shortened schedule is going to screw up this show. I know the actors want a ton of money but this show has to be making HBO a metric shit ton of money.
I dont think thats the deal at all. The budget for this year was announced at $100 million. They announced a couple of months ago that they were over budget but didn't say how much.

They shortened it to 8 episodes to spend the money on the CGI. Those dragons and wolfs interacting with humans are still expensive to produce. Dane could probably tell us how expensive?

The finale next Sunday is 84 minutes long. Almost movie length.

HBO has a hit beyond a TV series. Its became a world wide pop culture phenomenon. HBO has the money to pay the actors.

I think it has more to do with D&D wanting to move on to the next project.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:26 PM 08-22-2017
Might've been better off proceeding with the spinoff shows for other characters they have in the works and letting Martin finish the main story 1st.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:27 PM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Might've been better off proceeding with the spinoff shows for other characters they have in the works and letting Martin finish the main story 1st.
Uh, no. We can't have a 70 year old Peter Dinklage invited back for a previously unfinished show people would have moved on from a decade before.

This would have gutted the show.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:30 PM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Uh, no. We can't have a 70 year old Peter Dinklage invited back for a previously unfinished show people would have moved on from a decade before.

This would have gutted the show.
Contingent on the fact that Martin gets off his ass and finishes the last 2 books in a reasonable enough amount of time that they could do a couple of seasons of character building.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:35 PM 08-22-2017
Contingent on the fact that Martin gets off his ass and finishes the last 2 books in a reasonable enough amount of time that they could do a couple of seasons of character building.
Yeah, that wouldn't have happened. Martin promised when signing off the show to HBO in 07 that the series would be completed by 2011. The man can't keep a deadline.

Unless you mandated that GRRM turn it over to Sanderson if he missed a deadline (which GRRM would have never agreed to), we would not have seen the series (now predicted to be 8 books) completed on this side of 2020 (2030?)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:35 PM 08-22-2017
I felt the exact same about Bronn in episode 4. You want to add a real emotional blow to that battle? Have a dothraki screamer gut Bronn as he prepared the death blow to Drogon as Jaime watched. That could have been what compelled the Kingslayer to go on a suicide ride against Dany.
Would've been fantastic.

Bronn's been gone for 2-3 seasons; he's run his course. There's really no need to keep him along other than not wanting to piss off the internet.

But I tell you what, they missed a fantastic opportunity there to create a true 'holy shit!' moment. Yeah, if he's putting a reticle on Drogon's dome and then right before the shot an Arakh just comes blasting through his chest cavity....g'damn.

That's a worthwhile use of a beloved character who no longer serves a purpose in the story. Jar the audience out of their malaise and comfort.

Or just drop him in the deepest riverbank in history and having him swim away from a fucking angry dragon. That was much better.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:36 PM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And with that, GOT has jumped the fucking shark.
Maybe but with only 7 episodes left, thats pretty good for a famous, popular long running show.

I agree the plot Armour has gotten out of hand. The time warping from place to place to only speed up the story and plot is being way overused to make up for the last two seasons being shorten by D&D.

Its obvious they are better at adapting than writing their own material.

Its still my favorite show on TV.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 04:36 PM 08-22-2017

That was an AWFUL episode. Completely and wholly a plot device that required every single character to become really really stupid. The ENTIRE premise was designed to do nothing more than get a Dragon north of the wall so that that the Walkers have one. Meanwhile, to get to that point required that every person involved in the plan become a goddamn idiot.

Why didn't they ride horses? Oh that's right, because had they rode horses, they just flip their Walker on the back and ride away. No dragons, no problems. Nope, had to not only have a stupid plan, but had to execute it poorly.

Additionally, the entire show - ALL of it - now requires on Sam coming up with some dues ex machina to save everyone because we now know that even the damn Dragons are a mere annoyance to the a guy that has land to air javelins that can wipe out a dragon in one shot. So Dany and crew have one single advantage now - one more dragon in a battle where we know the big bad guy can essentially KILL a dragon and make it one of his own by just hitting it with a goddamn rock.

Oh, and why didn't he just hit Drogon - y'know, the stationary one that was closer and had everyone sitting on top of it? Oh, that's right - shitty writing again. If he does that, the show's over. So nope, he's gonna throw it at a moving target that's further away. But hey, I guess it's a good thing they just happened to know where a bunch of anchor chains could be found...buried under a frozen wasteland somewhere. Sure, that makes sense.

And hey guys, Benjen's back! Convenient. Oh wait, now he's dead again. That was useful; guess we needed to tie that one off. Oh and they spent several minutes actually making Brienne/Tormund cannon out of pure fan service. Tyrion went from clever, calculating fun and virtually indispensable to a pleading, largely ineffectual whiner.

And that doesn't even get into Arya evidently becoming extremely stupid just so we can keep dragging out Littlefinger's arc instead of just !@#$ing killing him like Martin would've done 4 episodes ago.

That was, without question, the worst episode in the history of this show and every single crack and flaw that we could see popping through in previous episodes came screaming through. D&D are SHITTY writers. They don't have Martin feeding them the story anymore and they've turned it into complete ass. The characters get more one-note and cliched every week. The story gets less in-depth and more predictable with every scene. They're doing things just for the sake of keeping the internet happy (or, as was the case with the return of virtually the entire stupid party, not making the internet mad).

This was the first time I've watched this show and just wanted it to be over. They're just reacting at this point - they complex characters, the vast, in depth worlds; even some of the history - they've just shit on it and done away with it. This is as brainless as some idiot show you'd see on the SciFi network.
Damn. DJ is killing it today in multiple forums.

Great post.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:38 PM 08-22-2017
Would've been fantastic.

Bronn's been gone for 2-3 seasons; he's run his course. There's really no need to keep him along other than not wanting to piss off the internet.

But I tell you what, they missed a fantastic opportunity there to create a true 'holy shit!' moment. Yeah, if he's putting a reticle on Drogon's dome and then right before the shot an Arakh just comes blasting through his chest cavity....g'damn.

That's a worthwhile use of a beloved character who no longer serves a purpose in the story. Jar the audience out of their malaise and comfort.

Or just drop him in the deepest riverbank in history and having him swim away from a ****ing angry dragon. That was much better.
For a moment I thought Bronn was going to go the way of...(Hell or High Water spoilers below)

Spoiler!

[Reply]
unlurking 04:44 PM 08-22-2017
Yeah, that wouldn't have happened. Martin promised when signing off the show to HBO in 07 that the series would be completed by 2011. The man can't keep a deadline.

Unless you mandated that GRRM turn it over to Sanderson is he missed a deadline (which GRRM would have never agreed to), we would not have seen the series (now predicted to be 8 books) completed on this side of 2020 (2030?)
This. It's mind bottling to hear everyone bitch about HBO and D&D. All of the shortcuts we're seeing now are because GRRM is milking the shit of it and never meets deadlines. I have to imagine everyone at HBO is sick of it.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:46 PM 08-22-2017
Better Khal Drogo
[Reply]
unlurking 04:47 PM 08-22-2017

That was an AWFUL episode. Completely and wholly a plot device that required every single character to become really really stupid. The ENTIRE premise was designed to do nothing more than get a Dragon north of the wall so that that the Walkers have one. Meanwhile, to get to that point required that every person involved in the plan become a goddamn idiot.

Why didn't they ride horses? Oh that's right, because had they rode horses, they just flip their Walker on the back and ride away. No dragons, no problems. Nope, had to not only have a stupid plan, but had to execute it poorly.

Additionally, the entire show - ALL of it - now requires on Sam coming up with some dues ex machina to save everyone because we now know that even the damn Dragons are a mere annoyance to the a guy that has land to air javelins that can wipe out a dragon in one shot. So Dany and crew have one single advantage now - one more dragon in a battle where we know the big bad guy can essentially KILL a dragon and make it one of his own by just hitting it with a goddamn rock.

Oh, and why didn't he just hit Drogon - y'know, the stationary one that was closer and had everyone sitting on top of it? Oh, that's right - shitty writing again. If he does that, the show's over. So nope, he's gonna throw it at a moving target that's further away. But hey, I guess it's a good thing they just happened to know where a bunch of anchor chains could be found...buried under a frozen wasteland somewhere. Sure, that makes sense.

And hey guys, Benjen's back! Convenient. Oh wait, now he's dead again. That was useful; guess we needed to tie that one off. Oh and they spent several minutes actually making Brienne/Tormund cannon out of pure fan service. Tyrion went from clever, calculating fun and virtually indispensable to a pleading, largely ineffectual whiner.

And that doesn't even get into Arya evidently becoming extremely stupid just so we can keep dragging out Littlefinger's arc instead of just !@#$ing killing him like Martin would've done 4 episodes ago.

That was, without question, the worst episode in the history of this show and every single crack and flaw that we could see popping through in previous episodes came screaming through. D&D are SHITTY writers. They don't have Martin feeding them the story anymore and they've turned it into complete ass. The characters get more one-note and cliched every week. The story gets less in-depth and more predictable with every scene. They're doing things just for the sake of keeping the internet happy (or, as was the case with the return of virtually the entire stupid party, not making the internet mad).

This was the first time I've watched this show and just wanted it to be over. They're just reacting at this point - they complex characters, the vast, in depth worlds; even some of the history - they've just shit on it and done away with it. This is as brainless as some idiot show you'd see on the SciFi network.
And you can blame all of this on GRRM because he'll never finish the story.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:49 PM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
This. It's mind bottling to hear everyone bitch about HBO and D&D. All of the shortcuts we're seeing now are because GRRM is milking the shit of it and never meets deadlines. I have to imagine everyone at HBO is sick of it.
D&D have earned their share of criticism (please God, let the decision-making this season be to set up GRRM's fantastic conclusion), but I feel a lion's share of the blame falls on GRRM's shoulders.

I think it's pretty evident that D&D are racing toward a pre-set conclusion established by Martin, but weren't given a clear road-map on how to get there. Welp, when you have an author who proclaimed as late as Season ****ing 3 that he had zero worries that the show would catch him, these are the types of propulsive, narrative leaps that D&D are going to take after devoting over a decade of their lives to this project.

I am very hopeful that this recent hack of HBO causes some juicy drama fueled e-mails from HBO execs to be released about GRRM's pacing. GRRM didn't owe it to anyone to finish the books, but Beyond the Wall is the obvious casualty of Martin's inability to meet a ****ing deadline.
[Reply]
Page 101 of 386
« First < 5191979899100101 102103104105111151201 > Last »
Up