ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 30
« First < 131920212223 24252627 > Last »
Media Center>The Curse of Oak Island
mr. tegu 01:31 PM 01-13-2014
Has anyone else started watching this show? I am a sucker for this kind of thing and so far it has been very interesting. You can watch the first two episodes in the link below. Since this was filmed over the summer, if any of you have figured out what happens please use spoilers for anything that hasn't aired yet.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

For those who aren't familiar, very briefly, it is about an island on the eastern shore of Canada that is rumored to have buried treasure from possibly the Knights Templar dating back to the 1300s. In 1795 an apparent secret hiding space was discovered in which levels of wooden planks were buried every 10 feet. Digging down around a hundred feet, they found some gold link chain and a few other things. Eventually they dug to a point that causes the hold to be flooded by sea water as if it was some sort of boobie trap, which is believed to come from some type of tube that is out in the ocean.

Another person in the 1970s dug alongside the original hole but also got his hole flooded by sea water. These guys now who are on the show purchased most of the island and are trying to solve the mystery with help from the guys who dug their own hole in the 1970s. The hole curse aspect is just kind of meh and I don't really pay attention to it, but I am sure the producers just like the added element it presents. The mystery and adventure is really interesting. It is nice to see a show like this that is actually producing some results so far.
[Reply]
lcarus 03:16 PM 12-18-2017
Yeah they seem to have a good spot picked out for the "big hole". Im intrigued as I always have been about Oak Island. Wish theyd cut the crap though. A lot of useless filler
[Reply]
lcarus 06:07 PM 12-20-2017
Two different bones from two different humans. One is of European descent and the other Middle Eastern. Plus they found a sliver of what could possible be book binding material and painted pottery. All at depths that supposedly are deeper than any previous explorer has gone.

I have no idea what to make of any of that. Since it seems ocean water comes in and out from under the ground, I wonder how much of their findings is just stuff that's washed in or been deposited naturally?
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:53 PM 12-20-2017
Pottery at 190 feet? Crazy
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:06 PM 12-22-2017
Next episode should be good...
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:10 PM 01-02-2018
Both bones have been dated to the late 1600s to early 1700s. That’s pretty crazy.
[Reply]
lcarus 01:46 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Both bones have been dated to the late 1600s to early 1700s. That’s pretty crazy.
Whether there is treasure of any type there or not, or if there never was treasure, the island has a mysterious history. I dont know what to make of the bones. Something went on underground over 200 years ago. Perhaps WELL over 200 years ago.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:16 AM 01-03-2018
I’m enjoying it, but the pace is crazy slow per usual.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:26 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I’m enjoying it, but the pace is crazy slow per usual.
The episode where they had to go through Rick's case of Lyme disease was grueling. Sometimes the side stories are bearable. It's a show. I get it. They're digging a hole and made a whole series about it and they're on the 5th season. But what's next? Craig Tester gets the squirts from a bad batch of bagel bites?
[Reply]
SAUTO 08:05 PM 01-04-2018
Originally Posted by lcarus:
The episode where they had to go through Rick's case of Lyme disease was grueling. Sometimes the side stories are bearable. It's a show. I get it. They're digging a hole and made a whole series about it and they're on the 5th season. But what's next? Craig Tester gets the squirts from a bad batch of bagel bites?
Happened episode 3 season 2
[Reply]
kcfanXIII 07:18 PM 01-16-2018
I've said many times I'm done with this show. Yet here I am, on a Tuesday night, watching these nerds dig....
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:42 PM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by kcfanXIII:
I've said many times I'm done with this show. Yet here I am, on a Tuesday night, watching these nerds dig....

Why would you try to force yourself to be done? They can’t really control what’s there, though I do wish it went faster at times but I understand why it doesn’t. That said they have been finding some pretty interesting and out of place things this season.

Just on this episode they have more pottery and bone and a potential dig anomaly with the casing. Also the cross that was found just adds more evidence that people where there very early.

They are definitely making some good progress this season. I know there have been those in this thread that have basically written it off but I don’t think you can really say any longer that there isn’t still something there or there wasn’t something there at some time. At the very least I feel like they have proven people where there doing something before the recorded history when the money pit was first discovered.
[Reply]
kcfanXIII 03:16 PM 01-17-2018
Oh yeah. I agree its interesting. That's why I cant stop watching. Its just the pace and the narrator. Its interesting stuff, and the more they find the more questions there are. Would just like to get some answers, even if not the answer to THE question.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:25 PM 01-17-2018
Rep for anyone willing to give a brief synopsis of recent finds that amount to anything interesting...
[Reply]
Frazod 03:55 PM 01-17-2018
I seem to have stumbled upon a show on Discovery last night that kind of reminds me of this - except it's about Tesla's Death Ray. One group attempting to build it, another tracking down research and investing Tesla's death. Apparently they think Hitler did it.

Anyway, it provided a diverting few minutes while eating dinner, but I'm not going to watch it. As if these clowns could ever duplicate this without the government raining down destruction on their heads. At least there's a chance the Oak Island guys might someday find something.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 04:04 PM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Rep for anyone willing to give a brief synopsis of recent finds that amount to anything interesting...

This season has produced the best and most quantity so far. Many of these items would have been season finale reveals a few years ago.

So far from one area they have found:

- numerous pieces of pottery at depths of 160 feet down to 190 feet.
- piece of leather that is thought to be book binding after lab analysis.
- two different human bones have been found and tested. One is from the Middle East and the other is from Europe. They are dated late 1600s to early 1700s. There seems to be more bones found on next week’s episode.
- a machine detected a large metal object deep in the ground in this same hole.
- currently the drillers feel like they have drilled through a solid flat service and have found a void.

Other interesting things not from that specific hole:

- more metal spikes that are pre 1800s.
- old coin but can’t tell exactly what they are.
- just recently a metal cross made of lead was found on the beach that the metal detector guy thinks is at least 400 years old. It definitely looks the part.
- also as they keep looking at the stories the are finding some interesting leads centered around potentially Knights Templar and a well know French family who has some links to the region across generations.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 30
« First < 131920212223 24252627 > Last »
Up