ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 265 of 386
« First < 165215255261262263264265 266267268269275315365 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:33 AM 05-03-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
"Edd, fetch me a block" is still probably the single most satisfying moment of the books for me.

In the show the hanging with Thorne and Ollie is close, but if we could have Snow drop that line (obviously someone else will need to do the fetching) that would be pretty great...
Yeah, "Olly, bring me my sword" didn't have the same power.

The nod from Stannis was perfectly executed, however.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:47 AM 05-03-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Yeah, "Olly, bring me my sword" didn't have the same power.

The nod from Stannis was perfectly executed, however.
And the scene demonstrates how impossible it is to carry full gravity in a visual medium. It didn't have as much power because it didn't have the inner monologue.

Here's the written version of the scene - being in Jon's head during the process built the suspense and gave a couple more beats that really made that whole thing work well:

https://twitter.com/SerASOIAF/status/592675914510655488

And here's the show version:

Good. Not as good.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:00 PM 05-03-2019
She'd been killing Walkers for 20 minutes at that point. It was pretty clear to me that they were laying out the roadmap and doubly so when we got our 3 minutes of "everyone's dying" where they showed all the key players in peril.

Except 1.

They telegraphed that something awful. I didn't necessarily see a flying ninja leap, but I was ultimately disappointed in how obvious they made the Arya killing stroke.

She had been killing wights.

I’m not arguing that they filled us in. I’m just saying it wasn’t entirely clear that the Night King was the one Melisandre was talking about.

For all we knew at the time, Arya could have killed one of the white walker generals while Jon took on the Night King or maybe when he caught Arya mid-leap, maybe Bran would pull some shit out of his ass to do the deed.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:08 PM 05-03-2019
And the scene demonstrates how impossible it is to carry full gravity in a visual medium. It didn't have as much power because it didn't have the inner monologue.

Here's the written version of the scene - being in Jon's head during the process built the suspense and gave a couple more beats that really made that whole thing work well:

https://twitter.com/SerASOIAF/status/592675914510655488

And here's the show version:

Good. Not as good.
Fully agreed. The lack of inner monologue is also partly why the Jaime/Cersei sept scene got the controversy that it did.

Transitioning to a visual medium has really helped bring emotion and gravity to some scenes (Ned's execution being a visceral example) - but some haven't landed like they did in the books for the reasons you described. The criticism over D&D's dialogue I think can partially be attributed to no longer having GRRM's inner monologue to lift lines from - something they did quite often from Seasons 1-6.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:01 PM 05-03-2019
Can we at least get confirmation that the Walkers got the !@#$ing Glovers before they got taken out? Sadly, they probably didn't as the line from Last Hearth to Winterfell doesn't really take them anywhere near Deepwood Motte.

Are we really gonna give that ass another chance to flake out when the banners get called again?
Tormond said to Jon when he arrived at Winterfell anyone whose not here is with the Night King.

Something like this happened again, you cant trust him. He has to go if he is alive.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:14 PM 05-03-2019
How would you guys feel about some sort of plot in which the Night King wasn’t truly destroyed? Like maybe Bran, Arya or Jon somehow becoming the Night King.
[Reply]
Setsuna 02:48 PM 05-03-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I was obviously being a smart ass and not taking anything literally. I haven’t been told thank you all day though. Appreciate that. Made my day. I feel validated.
No problem :-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:16 PM 05-03-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
How would you guys feel about some sort of plot in which the Night King wasn’t truly destroyed? Like maybe Bran, Arya or Jon somehow becoming the Night King.
In the books, sure. It would be silly if they did it on the show at this point, without setting it up in any way. And no, touching Bran or Arya is not setting it up. If the NK just magically appears again in the final episode, whether in his familiar form or with a new face, it's just a 'gotcha!' moment for shock value.

Which wouldn't surprise me a bit after seasons 6 and 7, but would most likely disappoint me.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:19 PM 05-03-2019
Plus, if the Night King really did have Bran or Arya under some type of spell or influence, wouldn't that have dissipated like all his army after he died?
[Reply]
Bowser 04:22 PM 05-03-2019
I'm about to watch it again. The kid and I have watched it together since Season 1 Episode 1 (a little awkward with her being the daughter and all. We've learned to not talk about certain scenes, lol), but her work schedule now doesn't allow for her to watch on Sunday nights. I'm bummed, because no matter how much she says she's avoided spoilers, there is just no WAY she doesn't know what's going to happen and who does it. Oh well....
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:25 PM 05-03-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Plus, if the Night King really did have Bran or Arya under some type of spell or influence, wouldn't that have dissipated like all his army after he died?
Speculation has been since the first time they met that he warged into Bran and the two have some kind of connection beyond a touch, like maybe a piece of him is in Bran.

Like I said, though, that hasn't been established in any way, not even as a possibility, in show lore.
[Reply]
AssEaterChief 08:06 PM 05-03-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
This is what I figured what was going to happen.

How does this show carry on for the rest of the season if that isn't the case?
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 08:54 PM 05-03-2019
People in this thread are putting more thought into what is happening, will happen, and has happened than D&D have.

Seriously folks. This show has been getting gradually worse for 3-4 seasons and is bottoming out. IT looks good, but the storytelling is just them hastily and haphazardly slapping conclusions over pretty deep and interesting storylines. This episode summed it up. The storyline is over. Millions questions remain and everyone is mostly unsatisfied. How could you NOT be?

It's just feels like another over-produced marvel movie at this point. It's like we're just going down a checklist.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 06:24 AM 05-04-2019
The story telling for the first two episodes was great, of course that will slow down in the battle.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:33 AM 05-04-2019
Originally Posted by AssEaterChief:
This is what I figured what was going to happen.

How does this show carry on for the rest of the season if that isn't the case?
Still a lot to unwrap. No matter how much time there was left it would never be enough to wind things down.
[Reply]
Page 265 of 386
« First < 165215255261262263264265 266267268269275315365 > Last »
Up