Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Media Center>Rate You 3 Favorite Coen Brother's Movies
Otter 06:52 AM 05-16-2020
Everyone gets 3 picks:
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:51 PM 05-16-2020
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
I agree, but my top two are O Brother and Big Lebowski. TBL is in my top 5 of all movies anyway.

There are a lot that could be third. Miller’s Crossing is great. Hudsucker Proxy doesn’t get its due. Fargo could easily be third, as could No Country. I loved their True Grit. Intolerable Cruelty is another one that doesn’t get its due.

I’d watch their movie If I know nothing more than their involvement.
I've always been a little surprised Intolerable Cruelty doesn't get more love. It's not quite the romantic comedy that O Brother is, but it's still really good.

It has stars in Clooney and Catherine Zeta Jones so its not like its obscure casting.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:56 PM 05-16-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
War of the Roses WAS a shitshow, but everyone I watched it with, male and female, hated it.

It wasn't ineffective in what it did. It was professionally written and acted. But it somehow went too far. I like black comedy, but WotR was like black death speed metal comedy. Maybe it's a testiment to the writing and acting, but it was TOO affecting. You left the theater feeling like you actually watched a married couple hate each other to death.
War of the Roses is probably one of the worst two movies I've ever seen, and it's definitely the worst big-studio movie. It was basically sitting in a room watching people who hate each other fight for two hours. I have no idea how it made it past the big-studio focus group process.

It was probably my second date with my to-be wife, and we went to see it. The cast looked good, so we took a shot. I apologized to her afterwards.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:58 PM 05-16-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I don't know how many people have seen Blood Simple, because it was their first movie and didn't do a lot of box office, and it kind of even predated home rentals. But I highly recommend it, because it's like a thesis on their style. It's great the first time around, and when rewatching it you see so much of their signature flourishes that still liven up a movie to the present. It's a noir black comedy with a good bit of blunt, but not overly gory, violence. As much as I love Tarantino, Blood Simple is 10x the debut film that Reservoir Dogs ever dreamed of.
There is a Chinese remake/adaption of Blood Simple, A Simple Noodle Story. If you do ok with foreign films, it's worth checking out.
[Reply]
Third Eye 07:44 PM 05-16-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
O Brother Where Art Thou
Big Lebowski
Raising Arizona
Those were mine as well.
[Reply]
DrRyan 07:56 PM 05-16-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
O Brother Where Art Thou
Big Lebowski
Raising Arizona
These are my votes. O brother and lebowski have so many references I hear amongst friends abs overhear from taksim people in passing.
[Reply]
sully1983 02:01 AM 05-17-2020
Unreal filmography. There is literally no wrong answers here folks.

1. The Big Lebowski (+1 to the ticket taker for letting my friends and I in when we were barely 15 years old haha). I recall seeing this one in theaters and was floored at how weird/original/and funny it was.

2. No Country for Old Men (fantastic McCarthy adaption with a stellar villain)

3. Inside Llewyn Davis (loved the soundtrack)

damn these dudes are talented as hell. I probably could have chosen a number of different films in my top 3 but went with the ones I've rewatched the most
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:35 AM 05-17-2020
1. Oh Brother Where Art Thou (this may be my favorite movie of all time)

2. Inside Llewyn Davis

3. No Country for Old Men

(The Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona are massive honorable mentions here).
[Reply]
sd4chiefs 09:00 AM 05-17-2020
The worst Coen Brother's movie has got to be 'Hail, Caesar!'.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:40 AM 05-17-2020
O Brother
No Country
Raising Arizona
[Reply]
sully1983 09:40 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by sd4chiefs:
You would be correct here lol. They are normally on point but that film just was a pointless self serving POS film. I saw it in theaters and there were walk outs during it (I should have joined them!)
[Reply]
DeepPurple 10:33 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by sd4chiefs:
Then you never saw A Single Man, you could show that film in a library.

My choices, I had Fargo and Raising Arizona as automatic since I've seen each one at least 20 times. Then I had to choose between Blood Simple, which was great at the time and they made with $800K they borrowed from family members. O'Brother which besides being funny with great music, I had to overlook George Clooney the person and lastly No Country for Old Men, which was great until the lead actor was killed and killed off screen. I went with O'Brother because I actually bought the DVD and and the sountrack.
[Reply]
scho63 11:24 AM 05-17-2020
1. No Country for Old Men
2. Fargo
3. Hudsucker Proxy (so underrated IMHO)

Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona both were great too and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was really awesome and didn't get the recognition it deserved.

Never saw Inside Llewyn Davisit

O Brother Where Art Thou I tried watching it and I could never really get into it.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 11:33 AM 05-17-2020
hudsucker proxy
no country for old men
raising arizona

True Grit is right up there too. but that isn't a movie I can watch over and over.

****Hail Caesar! is missing from the poll
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:39 AM 05-17-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Then you never saw A Single Man, you could show that film in a library.

My choices, I had Fargo and Raising Arizona as automatic since I've seen each one at least 20 times. Then I had to choose between Blood Simple, which was great at the time and they made with $800K they borrowed from family members. O'Brother which besides being funny with great music, I had to overlook George Clooney the person and lastly No Country for Old Men, which was great until the lead actor was killed and killed off screen. I went with O'Brother because I actually bought the DVD and and the sountrack.
A Serious Man

A Single Man was one of those uptight British gaybob movies.
[Reply]
Why Not? 12:49 PM 05-17-2020
O’Brother is probably in my top 20 of all movies.

Fargo was great

I weirdly loved Ladykillers.

Runners up would be Raising AZ and TBL
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up