ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>What's everyone using for an Antivirus these days?
Buehler445 07:33 AM 12-05-2018
Years ago I put on Avast because it was:
1. Free
2. Light and Low impact.

I'm not sure those 2 things are accurate anymore. What is everyone running these days that won't slog down their rig?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:57 AM 12-05-2018
Avast got awful bloated for my tastes.

All of the family uses Windows and for them, I use Windows Defender built in to Windows 10. It isn't perfect but it works well enough and I just can't see dealing with 3rd party antivirus.

I am all macOS now, so I don't use an active antivirus. I use Malwarebytes for weekly scanning.
[Reply]
loochy 10:27 AM 12-05-2018
I use Panda

Maybe it's the best and maybe it's not

It was free, it seems to work fine, and I have no slowdown (or any other problems, for that matter) with it :-)

[Reply]
Fish 10:39 AM 12-05-2018
I still use Avast, but you're absolutely right it's gotten all bloated as fuck and tries to do a dozen extra things it has no business doing. Like managing updates for apps, and VPN, and Safe Browser, etc. If you turn off everything except for the active file/web/behavior monitoring, it does fine and doesn't use up too many resources. But fuck them for messing it up.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:01 AM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
I still use Avast, but you're absolutely right it's gotten all bloated as fuck and tries to do a dozen extra things it has no business doing. Like managing updates for apps, and VPN, and Safe Browser, etc. If you turn off everything except for the active file/web/behavior monitoring, it does fine and doesn't use up too many resources. But fuck them for messing it up.
Yeah, in some ways it's the principle of it. They just are trying to do too much. Kaspersky is the same way anymore. They want to be a one-stop security shop and for many people (that mostly aren't tech savvy) that's fine. It just doesn't work for me.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:09 PM 12-05-2018
I use AVG [Internet Security] because I also use PCTuneup. Anyone know if AVG is deficient in any way.

My understanding is, at this point, the fundamentals of virus protection is pretty much uniform. Has anyone come up with something innovative or more secure, or less resource intensive, in the past couple years?
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:32 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I use AVG [Internet Security] because I also use PCTools. Anyone know if AVG is deficient in any way.

My understanding is, at this point, the fundamentals of virus protection is pretty much uniform. Has anyone come up with something innovative or more secure, or less resource intensive, in the past couple years?
Haven't used AVG for years. IIRC, many moons ago (maybe a decade or so) AVG fell way behind in terms of not only stopping legit viruses but also producing too many false positives. I believe that's why it fell out of favor. I know hardly anybody uses it anymore.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:05 PM 12-05-2018
A dental dam and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 02:08 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by listopencil:
A dental dam and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.
Heh
[Reply]
DJJasonp 02:37 PM 12-05-2018
BitDefender seemed ok for the past year I've had it. Didnt bog my system down.
[Reply]
SuperChief 02:53 PM 12-05-2018
Avast for me. It was probably one of you that turned me onto it. Was with AVG prior.
[Reply]
Otter 02:01 AM 12-06-2018
Linux & NoScript.

Why would you not use windows defender just for sake of discussion?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 03:23 AM 12-06-2018
At this point I don't really worry about viruses. I'm super careful with what I download and let Windows Defender handle the rest.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 07:00 AM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
At this point I don't really worry about viruses. I'm super careful with what I download and let Windows Defender handle the rest.
This. Chrome is pretty good at filtering out the shit as well and making sure you’re not somewhere you don’t want to be.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 08:41 AM 12-06-2018
You don't need Antivirus, MalwareBytes and ADW will do the trick for you.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up